Re: A$ hits 90c US | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Re: A$ hits 90c US

Liverpool

How did that Julia and Kevin thing work out? :)
Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
geoffryprettyboy said:
Great news, thanks to Johnny.
If Rudd comes in with his ex-union thugs, we won't be singing, "Let the good times roll".

One year ago....and you were right on the money there GeoffPrettyBoy.
Not many singing 'let the good times roll' now.

New York Tiger said:
thanx foe turning this into (another) political thread. The current issues have little to do with who's in power.

Not at all New York...just commented on GeoffPrettyBoy's foresight...that's all....I never mentioned Rudd or who was in power once so settle down. ;)

Liverpool said:
Not at all New York...just commented on GeoffPrettyBoy's foresight...that's all....I never mentioned Rudd or who was in power once so settle down. ;)
I'm as settled as you want Livers - cool bananas here on Anguilla. :afro

GBP's foresight was wrong, you said he was right on the money - banks are going bankrupt, the economy is close to depression, no government or world body seems to have an answer for the current situation.

So if you want to blame Rudd and the unions for California and Iceland (and other countries we are not aware of) being close to bankruptcy, for major US investment banks closing, for the world's biggest insurance company being under US government control, or for inflated US/world property prices, you're more than welcome.

Take this stuff somewhere else in the political board. I may debate you (but probably won't). Most of what you post is nonsense.

New York Tiger said:

GBP's foresight was wrong, you said he was right on the money - banks are going bankrupt, the economy is close to depression, no government or world body seems to have an answer for the current situation.

So if you want to blame Rudd and the unions for California and Iceland (and other countries we are not aware of) being close to bankruptcy, for major US investment banks closing, for the world's biggest insurance company being under US government control, or for inflated US/world property prices, you're more than welcome.

Take this stuff somewhere else in the political board. I may debate you (but probably won't). Most of what you post is nonsense.

Cannot cop that. The wheels were set in motion for this a long time ago.

New York Tiger said:

I have NEVER blamed Rudd on any post of mine on any thread for the global financial crisis....so get off your high horse NYT.
And I still reckon GeoffPrettyBoy was on the money.....Rudd did get in and we aren't singing 'let the good times roll', are we?
I'll leave it at that.

New York Tiger said:
EDIT - I have better things to do with my life.

Pity you didn't have that attitude when I answered GeoffPrettyBoy's post instead of making a song and dance about it.

was out with some friends last night,and the discussion was about the current economic woes we (world) are experiencing.Most people there were saying how this year they are cancelling their X mas holidays ,whilst another family were saying how they are putting off their house renovations for awhile..
It seems to me that maybe this is the wrong thing to do and that if we all started doing this we are going to definately go into recession.
Sockmarkets rise and fall thats what they do.In previous times we have experienced similar if not worse scenarios and have in the end always come through it.so maybe we should all hold strong a little here and not hit the panic buttons...just my few dollars (US)worth

barty boy said:
was out with some friends last night,and the discussion was about the current economic woes we (world) are experiencing.Most people there were saying how this year they are cancelling their X mas holidays ,whilst another family were saying how they are putting off their house renovations for awhile..
It seems to me that maybe this is the wrong thing to do and that if we all started doing this we are going to definately go into recession.
Sockmarkets rise and fall thats what they do.In previous times we have experienced similar if not worse scenarios and have in the end always come through it.so maybe we should all hold strong a little here and not hit the panic buttons...just my few dollars (US)worth

It's called "fear factor" Barty.....and really, what the whole situation at the moment is about.

Back in 1987...we didn't have live feeds on Foxtel, internet at home, stock reports on mobile phones, and the amount of media frenzy we are seeing now.
People are getting home from work, jumping on ASX or Commsec and playing around, researching, panicking, and I think that is why we are seeing such volatility....everyone is suddenly (including I :hihi) a 'backyard economist'.
Eventually people with balls will start buying, the market will start to recover, and then more people will buy thinking they don't want to miss out on a bargain....and then everything will right itself.

just interested ..what % of the population invest in the stockmarket,super policies aside.
Speaking of starting to buy shares again ,i read with interest that Warren Buffet invested a huge amount of money this week, in I think it was Goldman sachs(might be wrong).And Allan greenspan stated that the market should start to recover in early 2009.so hopefully there are voices out there that can change the perception

barty boy said:
just interested ..what % of the population invest in the stockmarket,super policies aside.
Speaking of starting to buy shares again ,i read with interest that Warren Buffet invested a huge amount of money this week, in I think it was Goldman sachs(might be wrong).And Allan greenspan stated that the market should start to recover in early 2009.so hopefully there are voices out there that can change the perception

Found this one barty...might help answer your question:

http://www.asx.com.au/resources/newsletters/investor_update/20050308_ShareOwnershipStudy.htm

thanx liverpool.
nearly 44% of the pop directly own shares,this might explain the current angst.
maybe paul keating was right when he said every galah(cant remember which bird it was)in every pet shop will be discussing economic policy...lol

barty boy said:
thanx liverpool.
nearly 44% of the pop directly own shares,this might explain the current angst.
maybe paul keating was right when he said every galah(cant remember which bird it was)in every pet shop will be discussing economic policy...lol

:hihi....yeah, he may have been on the money for once there.
Nobody speaks about shares all year and then there is a bit of a hump in the road and all of a sudden we're expert global economists.... ;D

It seems the population has a love affair with the stockmarket ,and yet its an area where we(the general populace) have very little knowledge about the mechanics of it,and yet we are prepared to put our hard eaned dollars into it.

barty boy said:
It seems the population has a love affair with the stockmarket ,and yet its an area where we(the general populace) have very little knowledge about the mechanics of it,and yet we are prepared to put our hard eaned dollars into it.

I think to most people...they go to the ASX or Commsec site, see all the graphs and numbers.....and just back out to their Facebook page again... :hihi
It does look complicated and hard to many people, I suspect....but they hear how people have 'made their fortune on the stock exchange' and want to be involved....so we have people putting their money into something they don't understand.

I guess it's like people on Melbourne Cup day.....the majority of punters on this day wouldn't have a clue about the horses running but still put money on something because it is the 'thing to do', and if they're like me....end up losing it... :p

Both the stock exchange and horse racing are a gamble....opinion based...and not everything follows the form guide.
The difference is, on the Melbourne Cup if people lose $10, it isn't the end of the world....losing $10,000 or $100,000 on the stock exchange can be a bit more upsetting. :-\

EDIT:
Off topic slightly, but watched a good movie last weekend on Foxtel called 'The Boiler Room' about people more or less ruining people's lives buy selling them lousy stocks.

i wonder if in hindsight paul keating was correct in saying"this is the recession we had to have"
That recession forced Australia to make the hard decisions on productivity, business practice,bank de regulation etc, which seems like now shielding us against the current economic turmoil.