Rate the rucks 2024 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Rate the rucks 2024

Which are the six above average rucks in the game in 2024?

• Riley O'Brien

• Tom De Viking

• Darcy Cameron

• Todd Goldstein

• Sean Darcy

• Luke Jackson

• Rhys Stanley

• Jarrad Witts

• Kieren Briggs

• Lloyd Meek

• Max Gawn

• Tristan Xerri

• Jarrad Witts

• Ivan Soldo

• Toby Nankervis

• Brodie Grundy

• Rowan Marshall

• Tim English

• Oscar McInderney

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Here you go! Your chance to rate the rucks for 2024. There are eighteen #1 rucks in the game. Six are below average. Six are average. And six are above average.

Pick your six above average.

NB I have eliminated West Coast from the poll as they have zero rucks and included a second from Fremantle. That doesn't seem very controversial.

If you think about it there are a lot of mediocre rucks in the AFL. But there's not much difference between fifth and seventh, is there? Or fourth and ninth? How about third and twelfth? What about when Marc Pittonet, who is not even on the chart, cleans up Max Gawn? Does that make Pittonet good?

Here's a little grid if you fancy rating all the way through.

Just by the by, rucks can get GBG (mainly loose ball at the fall from ruck contest) and SL (Score Launch from a tap out or their GBG generating a score.) It's not good if the other ruck is getting a lot of these.

Adel
Riley O'Brien​
Below Average​
Bris
Oscar McInerney​
Above average
Carl
Tom De Viking​
Average
COLL
Darcy Cameron​
ESS
Todd Goldstein​
Frem
Sean Darcy​
Geel
Rhys Stanley​
GCS
Jarrad Witts​
GWS
Kieren Briggs​
Haw
Lloyd Meek​
Melb
Max Gawn​
NMelb
Tristan Xerri​
PtA
Ivan Soldo​
Rich
Toby Nankervis​
St K
Rowan Marshall​
Syd
Brodie Grundy​
WB
Tim English​
Frem
Luke Jackson​

Score launch. It's put on for rucks. Tap to score or GBG/clearance to score. Intercept mark or loose to score.

Marc Pittonet 4.8 per game (5.5 SI)
Jarrad Witts 4.7 (4.7 SI)
Ivan Soldo 4.1 (5.9 SI)
Brodie Grundy 4.0 (5.8 SI)
Daylight
Oscar McInerney on 3.4
Then six rucks including Gawn and English on 3.3 per game. But Gawn and English dominate all rucks for SI. Score involvement including from tap.

Max Gawn 3.3 SL (6.1 SI) 2.8 SI nett of SL. 2.8 score involvements that weren't taps.
Time English 3.3 SL (6.7SI)3.4 SI that weren't from taps.

It's not hard to figure out that Gawn and English make more contribution away from rucking than the other rucks. Note Jarrad Witt gets zip SI that is not SL. Lowest scoring contribution away from tap work.

We gotta remember that measuring any player based on score will show those in very poor teams in an unflattering light. Nankervis is miles better than his SL/SI numbers currently show.

Score launch and SI give us interesting numbers to look at. Does Rowan Marshall get a lot of Supercoach points? That's nice.

I reckon the #1 ruck in 2024 so far has probably been Xerri. And Darcy Cameron is flying atm. I might have to move him up the board. And Tom De Viking is disrupting the universe when he gets going.

The ruck world is changing.

Reactions: 1 user