Rate the coaches | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Rate the coaches

Tigerblood

Tiger Matchwinner
Dec 18, 2002
For anyone who's old enough, how would you rate the Richmond coaches since Tom Hafey? This is the list:

Kevin Bartlett
Francis Bourke
Danny Frawley
Jeff Gieschen
Alan Jeans
Tony Jewell
John Northey
Mike Patterson
Barry Richardson
Paul Sproule
Robert Walls

Did I forget anyone?

My ratings are:

1. Northey
2. Jewell
3. Richardson
4. Frawley
5. Bourke
6. Walls
7. Jeans
8. Bartlett
9. Patterson
10. Gieschen
11. Sproule

I haven't just gone with who got the team to the highest level, remembering that some coaches inherited reasonable or very good teams, whereas others inherited shockers.

1. Northey - got the most out of the players
2. Jewell - premiership
3. Bartlett - handed the worst list ever, and asked to perform miracles, and sometimes did.
4. Frawley - in a perfect year, almost got to the GF
6. Bourke - GF in first year
5. Richardson ???
7. Walls - good coach - dreadful results
8. Patterson - one year
10. Sproule - one year
9. Gieschen - clown
11. Jeans - sucked the club in. He really needed money - fast. Set the club back years. Take a bow Cameron Schwab and Neville Crowe..

1. Northey - got the most out of the players
2. Jewell - premiership
3. Bartlett - handed the worst list ever, and asked to perform miracles, and sometimes did.
4. Frawley - in a perfect year, almost got to the GF
6. Bourke - GF in first year
5. Richardson ???
7. Walls - good coach - dreadful results
8. Patterson - one year
10. Sproule - one year
9. Gieschen - clown
11. Jeans - sucked the club in. He really needed money - fast. Set the club back years. Take a bow Cameron Schwab and Neville Crowe..

1. Northey - PF - got the most out of the players with a simple to follow long-kicking inside 50 game plan.
2. Bourke - GF in first year. Harder second year when the club traded away class players.
3. Jewell - premiership but lost plenty of hair over that wooden spoon.
4. Frawley - PF - 2000 good given injuries, 2001 got the most out of the players, 2002 - ???, 2003 - given no injuries has the best 18-22 we've had at the club in 20 years.
5. Richardson - on the too young a side to remember his coaching style. Made a SF in 77.
6. Bartlett - handed the worst list ever - agree. Got good results out of some of the young guys. Perception in my circles at the time he didn't train the players hard enough.
7. Jeans - one year - list was still bad. Ill health during year so hard to judge. No better than KB.
8. Walls - Said Northey's game plan was too predictable and so preceeded to change it to one of high possession and skill. Unfortunately didn't take into account we had at that time a side of hard sloggers not one with plenty of skill and subsequently we never made the finals under him - which ironically was all to predictable for Richmond over the last 20 years.
9. Patterson - one year - internal bickering wihtin the club as we spiralled into the financial abyss.
10. Sproule - one year - internal bickering within the club as we spiralled into the financial abyss.
11. Gieschen - ???

3)Kevin Bartlett - ok, but didnt have talent
2)Francis Bourke - shafted big time, but had the last laugh with his son.
11)Danny Frawley - will go down in history as hopeless and incompetant
6)Jeff Gieschen - honest battler, but just didnt have respect. I loved his shiny shoes
5)Alan Jeans - a legend who had to have brain surgery after coaching us. We were a real rabble then.
4)Tony Jewell - hit the jackpot. even frawley could of coached that side to a flag.
1)John Northey - no 1 by far. A tragedy he left as he got 100% out of a mediocre bunch in 95.
9)Mike Patterson - dud
8 )Barry Richardson - no c---t in him
10)Paul Sproule - dud
7)Robert Walls - there is a beating heart under that black and yellow jumper. say no more