Quarter Time Review | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Quarter Time Review

Tigers_06

Tiger Rookie
Feb 16, 2006
Ok we're 5 weeks into Hardwicks reign and things are slowly starting to become clearer regarding the blueprint. Anyway I thought it would be a good idea to have a look back over the first 5 weeks and get everyones thoughts on how things have gone so far. Here are 6 questions to help you along.

What Has Impressed You About The Gameplan?
The intensity shown when hunting the ball. The use of Deledio & Newman across HB
What Hasn't Impressed You About The Gameplan?
The inability for players to run out games.
Who Has Impressed You From The Established Players?
Before he got himself suspended I was liking what Connors was showing. Also liking what I've seen from Edwards Lids & Vickery
Who Hasn't Impressed You From The Established Players?
McGuane seems to be focusing more on being physical rather than playing footy. Newman for the captain of a young side, he isn't exactly setting the example I expected.
Who Has Impressed You The Most From The Draftees?
Martin Nason Astbury Dea
Which Draftee/s Are You Most Looking Forward To Seeing Debut?
Contin Griffiths O'Rielly Webberley

Ruthless Tiger said:
Ok we're 5 weeks into Hardwicks reign and things are slowly starting to become clearer regarding the blueprint. Anyway I thought it would be a good idea to have a look back over the first 5 weeks and get everyones thoughts on how things have gone so far. Here are 6 questions to help you along.

Funny enough, the possitve attacking glimpses they have shown

Our lack of fitness, will come with time, obviously hard running is part of the plan

Thursfields form early, Foleys return, Lids solid without brilliant

Simmonds game has gone by, Newman , Tambling

Super impressive Martin gee what a player when he gets a tank and some arrogance about him on field. Nason surprising
Martin obviously however he has, Taylor was also one I was excited to see debut, really want to see THE GOO get a gig

What Has Impressed You About The Gameplan? Coming along in bursts,
What Hasn't Impressed You About The Gameplan? Not enough risk, too many handballs
Who Has Impressed You From The Established Players? Deleidio off h/back, Newman leading by example, Moore/ Thursfied- when he plays, Foley is back!
Who Hasn't Impressed You From The Established Players? Simmonds, Mc Guane, Connors, Tambling
Who Has Impressed You The Most From The Draftees? Martin and Nason- tied
GRIFFITHS! our next ff
[/quote]

There is more carrying of the ball and taking on their opponent, especially in defence. Less kicking backwards in defence and less bouncing of the ball in defence. More obvious signs of run & spread at stoppages.

Breaking down at half forward, players tend to stuff it up with lack of skill. Players lack the ability to run out games. Hardwick not viewing the game from the coaches box.

Edwards, has impressed me, will take a lot out of playing in defence, looks to have bulked up. Vickery, has surprised me a lot. More aggression in the kid, his kicking at the moment is his greatest asset. Deledio, has put his head down and is working hard, is doing the team thing and doesn’t seem phased about Cotchin getting the captaincy against Melbourne.

Tambling and Morton.

Nason is my standout. Martin goes without saying.

Waiting for Grifftiths to get his body right and seeing him play & young Grimes, I think if he applies himself, in time he could be one of our key backman.

What has impressed me about the gameplan?
The players are prepared more to keep moving the ball forward at pace.

What hasn't impressed me about the gameplan?
We don't have the legs to play out a whole game and the lack of a second player able to mark in the forward line.

Who has impressed from the current players?
Edwards has shown steady improvement.

Who has not impressed me from the current players?
Tambling, Morton and Newman (in best team but he is in peak years and should be beating his man most weeks)

Who has impressed from the draftees? Nason as I was a major sceptic, Martin has been great I expected good.

Which draftee am I'm looking most to see debut? Webberly. Another player we shocked in picking up in the draft. If he and Nason both make it I will Francis Jackson a big pat on the back.

That we have one that doesn't involve getting a squillion cheap kicks/handballs

Players generally lacking the ability to carry it out

Foley's first half against Freo. Edwards can get it, but his disposal is very poor. Connors before the incident.

Tambling's regression has surprsied, Hislop and Thomson continue to prove the point that they were senseless draft picks (can we finally learn from this)

Martin obviously. Nason has surprised.

Griffiths as his underage stats don't back up the hype. Hopefully our recruiters get one right.

Think the boys have learnt how to spell it - now they'll recognise one when they see one. To be fair, I've only seen Carlton and Melb games (Thanks C7 / C10) so not alot to go on.

Haven't read anything here that indicates one though.

Moore's game against Melb was a bit of a standout, as was Reiwoldt's lead up work. Connors might have finally arrived, but he started celebrating a wee bit too early. TACKLES, both differential and total must be running at all time best or highs for this club I suspect - finally! It's a work rate thing.

Tambling and Morton - same as GPB

Nason is my standout. Martin goes without saying. - again have to copy that. Astbury really looks composed and may come on a bit earlier than everyone other club supporters expect.

Can Griffiths play? Have seen Westoff's highlight reel and he looks to have great intensity, good height and no fear. It might be enough to get a call up later in the year. I'm also looking forward to seeing less of Relton Roberts (weight)

This is still really slow going. The defensive aspects of the gameplan are still very loose-far too many goals are leaking. We are slowly reducing the number of turnovers that the opposition score from but are still not much different from last year. The forward line is non-existent. If Hardwick's gameplan is to absorb pressure and score on the rebound, then that is a long way off.

To answer the question, the gameplan is impressive enough but the execution is horrid. I'm hoping that this can tighten up over the next couple of months.

Currently we are kicking 9-10 goals and conceding 15-20. The way , I see it, we are trying to kick around 15 and concede about 12. That's a lot of fine-tuning still to go.

Newman is probably only ever going to play in defence but I would use him further up the ground, like across wing/half-forward. We don't use his long-kicking to generate inside-50s the way we should.

Jackson has been consolidating his form from last year. He is trying to kick long to leading players. All he needs now is to find a few leading players who can take a mark to kick to.

Cotchin played very well against the Bulldogs and has earnt himself a serious tag as a result in each game since. He is making progress.

Deledio is only playing across half-back becasue Connors got himself suspended for 8 weeks. Connors was the one shining light in the first three rounds.

Edwards haas shown glimpses but still lacks strength.

Moore has gone back to his 2008 form.

Cousins has been poor. Morton has been lazy. Riewoldt's been good but I am sick of forwards who kick clutch points-17 years of Richo was enough. Tambling has struggled. Simmonds shouldn't get too many more games.

Martin has played good footy. Nason has been solid. Astbury, Taylor and Dea need much more time. Vickery is improving. Farmer needs to do more.

Griffiths and Gourdis. I'm hoping they become our bookends for 10 years.

- Our pressure, tackling & running;

- Our scoreboard numbers;

- Deledio; (Hardwick using him very well)

- Simmonds, Tambling & MCGuane;

- Martin & Dea; (Good size that will add physical presence)

- Astbury & Griffiths (in tandem with Jack & Nahas);

- Pressure when we do not have the ball. Less cheap sideways and backward kicks. Moving the ball forward at every opportunity.

- Our fitness to carry out the game plan. With the amount of young kids in the team this will be happening for most of this and next year.

- I am not sure if we can call him established yet, but I have been really impressed with the way Vickery is progressing. Shows good football smarts and doesnt mind getting into the face of the opposition.

- Simmonds, Tambling, McGaune, White, Hislop, Thomson

- The obvious is Martin. For a kid picked in the 70's Nason has shown a lot. Astbury looks to be a smart player with good leadership qualities.

- Definitely Griffiths. Cant wait to see him play alongside Jack and Astbury. Gourdis and Webberley are 2 other kids I want to see have a go during the year.

geoffryprettyboy said:
There is more carrying of the ball and taking on their opponent, especially in defence. Less kicking backwards in defence and less bouncing of the ball in defence. More obvious signs of run & spread at stoppages.

Breaking down at half forward, players tend to stuff it up with lack of skill. Players lack the ability to run out games. Hardwick not viewing the game from the coaches box.

Edwards, has impressed me, will take a lot out of playing in defence, looks to have bulked up. Vickery, has surprised me a lot. More aggression in the kid, his kicking at the moment is his greatest asset. Deledio, has put his head down and is working hard, is doing the team thing and doesn’t seem phased about Cotchin getting the captaincy against Melbourne.

Tambling and Morton.

Nason is my standout. Martin goes without saying.

Waiting for Grifftiths to get his body right and seeing him play & young Grimes, I think if he applies himself, in time he could be one of our key backman.
What he said exactly except I am not as cofident about Edwards. The rest is word for word my thinking.

- No cheap kick to kicks in the backline. The boys haven't dropped their heads no matter what the scoreline is.

- At the moment, either through lack of personnel, skills or time to implement a plan, it breaks down when we cross over the halfway line. Ideally I'd like to see Beavis start to address this soon.

- Foley's return was very pleasing. Came back earlier and slotted in better than I thought he would. Lids seems to be doing more this year. Edwards and Connors deserve a mention.

- Tambling

- Nason. Has played every game this year. At pick 71 that's a real coup for the recruiters. Martin is as good as the hype said he would be.

- Griffiths & O'Reilly. Though the Irish lad may not get a game in the seniors this year, I'm keen to see how our first dabble in an Irishman goes.

Much harder at it.
Kick-ins
No-one. They can all do much, much better.
Unfortunately Richard Tambling is going backwards.
Nason. Martin was always going to be good.
Griffiths, to see if all the PRE hype is valid.

We have been much harder at the footy and beginning to help out our team mates. The boys are being more defensive than in previous years and trying to get the ball out of the defensive 50 without cheap kicking backwards. They are keeping their heads up more no matter what the scoreline is.

Breaking down at half forward and not effectively kicking into the forward 50. Our kick ins against freo. (can't remember if we did many like them in the other games). Our fitness levels and lack of composure to run out games and not fade out. Our lack of ability to kick a high score and lack of scoreboard pressure.

Moore (getting back into his form from 2008), Edwards (still tries to do too much at times. but still a good season. maybe try him forward. he did have that good game against essendon), Deledio (is getting better but still needs to make a bit more of an impact in important parts of games), Conners (before susp. Hope it doesn't take long to get back into the team after his 8 weeks are up), Vickery (has been very good this year. he is improving. i have been impressed with his work with controlling the ball when it's on the ground while keeping his feet).

Simmonds (play him key forward and bring in the young ruckman to have a go. I think playing in the ruck has passed him.), Tambling (has had a quiet start to the year and not playing consistently in games), Hislop

Nason, Martin

Grifftiths (want to see if all the hype and stats for this kid add up. if they do, we will have a very good FF for a long time), Webberly (played well in the VFL)

- that when implemented correctly we can go with most teams.

- that unfortuantely we can't maintain the above, also not enough intensity as i would like at the contest.

- lids new position is working, vickery just showed a flicker on the weekend, moore has been good under extreme pressure, connors pre 'incident'.

- simmonds (being asked to do too much and can't), tambling (excuses are gone now, 100 games, gone backwards), mcguane (baggage), newman (just doesn't give enough), shame Post had to get dropped on form.

- martin is special (sorry bruce), nason looks to be of the level, astbury i think will come along, collins cameo on weekend showed a bit

- Griffiths again, want to see what all the fuss is about, and gourdis for same reason - also look forward to a forward line including both taylor and roberts.

that we actually look like we HAVE a gameplan. Previously, we had too many game plans and they were too complicated. Once the pressure was on (e.g, in a big game, at a crucial stage or a game, against physical oponents) we would second-guess ourselves and the game plan would go out the window. A simpler game plan that we can actually learn will gradually become second nature. I think this will also gradually make players less selfish. In times of pressure you need to be able to rely on your instincts. I think, in time, this will make a massive difference :clap

Two things. Firstly, the fact that we are yet to implement it for anywhere near a full game and we stop presenting confidently around the ground (for both kick and handball receives). I guess this will change.
Secondly, even when the plan is working, our forwards don't seem to be able to adapt to it. Obviously, part of the plan is to move the ball quickly into the forwardline. Our forwards are rearely ready and have not put enough space on their oponents. Our midfielders then need to make perfect passes, which most of them are not capable of. It's a good to see our midfielders having a shot at goal on the run when there are no good leads, just frustrating that they have been missing so much.

Kel Moore is playing better than last season. Sadly, I can't think of any others. Cotchin and Vickery are also coming along nicely as youngsters.

Pretty much everyone else. Simmonds goes without saying. He didn't impress me 4 years ago and has been getting consistently worse. Can't think of anyone else who has improved since late last year. Hopefully you can blame learning a new game plan.

Martin obviously. I was not impressed with Nason early (including pre season) but I have changed my tune on him dramatically.

Don't mind. As many as possible. I'd like to see more of Roberts too.