PRE Forum 2016 style | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

PRE Forum 2016 style

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Now the season is fast approaching it's time to give the forum a bit of thought.

Panthera has stepped down from the awesome job he's done for so long with player of the year. Would anyone be able to take over and run it this year? It can be as simple as just adding up the 3-2-1 votes without the reports and annual awards if that makes it more appealing to anyone.

Yinnar and larabee are you still willing to run Tropical Tipping and Last Man Standing. Any volunteers if they'd like to have a rest.

Any other games and competition suggestions and people willing to run them?

Any other suggestions for the forum?

The more we all put in the better the site will be.

Thanks heaps Yinnar and larabee.

Anyone for the player of the year votes? I don't have any spreadsheet knowledge to do them myself and it's stressful and hard work to do it manually.

Happy to help with the 3 2 1 Voting if no one else wants the gig

Sammy that's what good friends are for. Greatly appreciated. Thanks heaps.

rosy23 said:
Now the season is fast approaching it's time to give the forum a bit of thought.

Panthera has stepped down from the awesome job he's done for so long with player of the year. Would anyone be able to take over and run it this year? It can be as simple as just adding up the 3-2-1 votes without the reports and annual awards if that makes it more appealing to anyone.

Yinnar and larabee are you still willing to run Tropical Tipping and Last Man Standing. Any volunteers if they'd like to have a rest.

Any other games and competition suggestions and people willing to run them?

Any other suggestions for the forum?

The more we all put in the better the site will be.

A like and dislike button

rinso17 - I suspect the chances of seeing the like/dislike function added are slim at best. I think it might have been tried before and was subsequently removed?
I have made several suggestions for adding functionality to the base SMF install, none of them have been adopted.

Rinso I'm not capable of making those changes and don't know the pros and cons of having them. I'll look into it later when my head is clearer.

mexican_radio said:
rinso17 - I suspect the chances of seeing the like/dislike function added are slim at best. I think it might have been tried before and was subsequently removed?
I have made several suggestions for adding functionality to the base SMF install, none of them have been adopted.

Why voice suspections when you wouldn't have a clue mexican? You think wrong about the like/dislike buttons. We have never had them.

You might have made several suggestions but didn't get any follow up from others wanting the same things from memory. What were they? A couple of people, yourself included, have asked for mods to make PRE function more like BF. We can't change the forum to suit one or two people.

mexican_radio said:

None of them? Here are a few. I can't find any others.

Question about images

Done

List status thread

Done

Topic preview and here

Couldn't find anything suitable. I can't write the scripts myself. I gave reasons why I didn't think it would work. I don't think it was a worthwhile initiative.

I was wrong about like/dislike function, it might have been reputation or rating, something like that?
I suggested social media integration and topic mouse over. Neither of these require any coding on your part, they are available as free Mods from SMF.
Sorry if I have upset you, I was just trying to point out that mods appear unlikely to happen, something you have now confirmed.

mexican_radio said:
.... something you have now confirmed.

Yep telling rinso I'd look into it when I'm better is certain conformation isn't it. :blah

I had a look at BF to see the thing you want from there mexican. I hovered the mouse over a thread called VFL and the box came up saying VFL. I hovered over a couple of others that just said New Thread. We already have a function to show newunread threads/posts. A couple of others just repeated what was said in the original message. It took longer each time for the description to come up that it would to open the thread and see what the post said. Threads often...make that nearly always...meander off track. What the topic mouseover tells you might be far removed from the actual thread content. Can you point me to a SMF that uses the mod you say is available? I can't see any real practical use to it and each time you've raised it nobody else has expressed interest.

Hi Rosy. I can't really vouch for anything on BF, I don't frequent that site any more.
Here is the SMF mod itself. It looks a bit dated but I read the support thread and it seems to be working on current SMF boards (e.g 2.0.11)
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=263
Here is an example of a forum that is using the mod. It seems to be displaying 8 lines of the first post in the thread (this setting is administrator adjustable)
http://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?board=6.0

totally understand if you don't want to implement it. thanks for taking the time to consider the idea.