Part 1 - AFL Shrinkflation and Rating the #1 backs - Rate your five above average players and your two air. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Part 1 - AFL Shrinkflation and Rating the #1 backs - Rate your five above average players and your two air.

PAUSED (Tech issue) Which are the five above average #1 backs and the two air?

• Jordan Butts

• Harris Andrews

• Jacob Weitering

• Darcy Moore

• Ben McKay

• Alex Pearce

• Sam DeViking

• Sam Collins

• Sam Taylor

• James Sicily

• Stephen May

• Aiden Corr

• Aliir Aliir

• Tylar Young

• Callum Wilkie

• Tom McCartin

• Liam Jones

• Jeremy McGovern

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Listed above are the 18 #1 backs in the AFL. Please select the five best in no particular order and the two worst. The poll will show us which are which.

You select 7 players. 5 best players, 2 worst.

Explanation of "Air" players-

Chips used to have 220g in a pack back in the Golden Days. Over many years the pack price remained the same but some of the chips were replaced by air. The chip companies sold us air for $3 a packet. We paid.

The AFL added two teams in the past ten years, and put 46 more players on the park. They diluted the quality pf the product. It's a variation on shrinkflation.

I've taken this shrinkflation into account with this very basic player rating framework. I'm saying that the quality of player is adequate for 16 teams, not 18. And two of 18 shouldn't be out there. That they are not potatoes; they are not even chips but are equivalent to the air the chip companies sell me.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 user
So do we voters for 5? Or 7?
How do you work out who is he saying is air or not?

Maybe do this like a tournament.
1v2, 3v4, 5v6 etc.
Then you have half the comp to move on with. Folks can call out if someone has a bad draw and should be a lucky lover, bumped up after the first round.

Sorry, kids. I've worked on this all day and without the option of 18 options in the poll it won't work.

Mods, please delete thread.
I've been able to workout the 18 options, give it another try?

I've been able to workout the 18 options, give it another try?
Thank you, Mr T. I've been experimenting with offsite polls with poor results! I'll get this one up and running today.

So do we voters for 5? Or 7?
How do you work out who is he saying is air or not?

Maybe do this like a tournament.
1v2, 3v4, 5v6 etc.
Then you have half the comp to move on with. Folks can call out if someone has a bad draw and should be a lucky lover, bumped up after the first round.
We vote for seven, T_G. Five good. 2 bad (air).

I'm not sure it's working?

We vote for seven, T_G. Five good. 2 bad (air).

I'm not sure it's working?
I hate typing on my phone, it's like I'm using a witches hat to touch a tic TAC.

If I select 7, how do you know which of those 7 are the good and which are the bad?

• Haha
I hate typing on my phone, it's like I'm using a witches hat to touch a tic TAC.

If I select 7, how do you know which of those 7 are the good and which are the bad?
It won't be hard to tell, T_G. If you make a radical call you might post about it. If you think Harris Andrews is air and Aiden Corr is above average you'd cause a ripple in the space/time continuum. They're always good.

If it's your own puke, YeOlde, the beer should still be ok. If it were Harris Andrews's I wouldn't drink it. And I'll drink anything.
It's more like a bit of vomit comes up into my mouth every time I see his mug. I haven't forgotten his pathetic "Pinocchio on a string" impersonation when he was getting schooled by Tom Lynch up at the Gabba a few years ago. I wouldn't have the bloke within 500 klms of my leadership group personally. Decent enough defender I suppose but ick

It's more like a bit of vomit comes up into my mouth every time I see his mug. I haven't forgotten his pathetic "Pinocchio on a string" impersonation when he was getting schooled by Tom Lynch up at the Gabba a few years ago. I wouldn't have the bloke within 500 klms of my leadership group personally. Decent enough defender I suppose but ick
Tom J Lynch makes them all look real ordinary, YOT. He's got a bit on these mutts.