Obama visit | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Obama visit

I'm not entirely comfortable with his visit, particularly with the US economic situation right now.
The increase in American troops seems unnecessary from an Australian perspective though perhaps it's with an eye to keeping China honest.
I wonder what's the US's real intentions in this region despite the rhetoric. The States say they consider us allies and that may be so but there's plenty of self interest in Obama's message..

Did anyone see yesterdays press conference when the announcement about the Marines was made.

Juliar at the beginning was so nervous and out of her depth, I was actually embarrassed for her, but it also was an embarrassment for our country, that its leader was shaking(almost looked like she was crying).

I do admit, she got over her nerves, and finished a little better, however the beginning was very very cringe worthy.

U2Tigers said:
Did anyone see yesterdays press conference when the announcement about the Marines was made.

Juliar at the beginning was so nervous and out of her depth, I was actually embarrassed for her, but it also was an embarrassment for our country, that its leader was shaking(almost looked like she was crying).

I do admit, she got over her nerves, and finished a little better, however the beginning was very very cringe worthy.

I felt so sorry for her at first then I thought "Hang on. This is what she does for a living. A living that I pay for." Then I got pissed off. Then I got embarrassed and now I just hope that the US media just don't care about this visit.

I feel a little sorry for those so bitter and twisted that they need to bag out an opportunity like the US President visiting our country.

My Mrs just returned from the event at the RAAF Base in Darwin. Gillard and Obama both spoke beautifully in recognition of the 60th anniversary of the ANZUS treaty. The 2000-odd troops there all appreciated the leaders of our nations being there to recognise and thank them. She says it was one of the great experiences she's had to have two heads of state address them so passionately in an aircraft hanger in Darwin buildup heat - a truly unique moment that they will all remember forever.

Many of these grateful diggers have already served and/or will serve in Afghanistan. An outcome hardly worth all the dummy-spitting and vitroil written above ... I would have thought.

TigerForce said:
*smile* cliche since the years of the great George Warlord Bush.

Glad they were around in WWII - otherwise you might be eating sushi - and this web site would be dedicated to Australian-Nipponese Sumo Wrestling.

hopper said:
I feel a little sorry for those so bitter and twisted that they need to bag out an opportunity like the US President visiting our country.

My Mrs just returned from the event at the RAAF Base in Darwin.  Gillard and Obama both spoke beautifully in recognition of the 60th anniversary of the ANZUS treaty.  The 2000-odd troops there all appreciated the leaders of our nations being there to recognise and thank them.  She says it was one of the great experiences she's had to have two heads of state address them so passionately in an aircraft hanger in Darwin buildup heat - a truly unique moment that they will all remember forever. 

Many of these grateful diggers have already served and/or will serve in Afghanistan.  An outcome hardly worth all the dummy-spitting and vitroil written above ... I would have thought.

I hope you don't mean my post.

I actually am very supportive of the visit, and as a soldier myself, its very good to see them doing that for our defence members.

my post was soley on her speech which really didn't go down the way it should have. I'm not sure you saw it, but the beginning of that speech was very cringeworthy.

Just on politics in general, being a defence member, I can pretty confidently say a very very large percentage of defence votes wouldn't go Labours way.

RemoteTiger said:
Glad they were around in WWII - otherwise you might be eating sushi - and this web site would be dedicated to Australian-Nipponese Sumo Wrestling.

I'm down with the sushi part.

He is the biggest phoney I can remember ever but I still can't help kinda liking him.

He is the perfect lefty leader really. Gives good oration, but does bugger all different to the evil right in the end.

evo said:
He is the biggest phoney I can remember ever but I still can't help kinda liking him.

He is the perfect lefty leader really. Gives good oration, but does bugger all different to the evil right in the end.

You think the Democrats are a leftist party :eek:

IanG said:
You think the Democrats are a leftist party :eek:
There is no way the Democrats are a left wing party , certainly not in an Australian context . They are left of the Republican party but Attilla the Hun would be close to left of the Republicans or at least their Tea Party Wing.

evo said:

I could listen to his speeches all day. Half the battle of being a leader is looking like you believe you should be in the job. He has that in spades.

Will get a second term but you can’t help it will be more of a Bradbury win then a Bolt win.

Paul Sheehan gives the visit a fair whack in The Age today:

http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/politics/all-style-no-substance-and-fantasy-adds-insult-20111120-1np8a.html

U2Tigers said:
Just on politics in general, being a defence member, I can pretty confidently say a very very large percentage of defence votes wouldn't go Labours way.

What have Labor done to alienate voters from the defence force and how do they feel the Libs would be better?