Nuclear power for Vic. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Nuclear power for Vic.

How would you vote in regard to a nucleur power plant in Victoria

• Yes

Votes: 21 41.2%
  • No

Votes: 26 51.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 4 7.8%

• Total voters

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Interesting Bracksy has changed the laws to allow a plebiscite amongst Victorian voters to let us decide if we want a nucleur power plant in our state.

Despite a lack of info at this stage I'm almost certain to vote against it. We're too populated here and I'm concerned about the safety aspects. It wasn't that long ago a potential meltdown was prevented o/s (was is in Sweden? ) with seconds to spare.

Nuclear power uses Uranium. The spent uranium is called Depleted Uranium (DU). DU, when ingested by humans causes chromosomal disorders. DU has a shelf life longer than the estimated life span of this planet, so anytime a warhead including DU is detonated, the resulting particles will remain in the environment indefinitely. Our Federal Government sells DU to the US for use in their warheads. Our Federal Government has agreements in place with the US allowing them to set up bases for testing DU on Australian soil. If you vote yes for nuclear power you are helping condemn this country and it's future generations.

No offense to you Red, jb and gpb, I know you were joking.

Do we need it?

I'd be undecided, personally (mainly because I don't know enough and don't really care, to be honest), but I know my father is against it...and he works for the Government in this area, and also worked for a briquette company for ages...so he's got plenty credibility...

Just a bit off the topic but has anyone seen the Al Gore documentory The Inconvenient Truth? If so, does it mention anything about geothermal resources?

geoffryprettyboy said:
Just a bit off the topic but has anyone seen the Al Gore documentory The Inconvenient Truth? If so, does it mention anything about geothermal resources?

THere has been plenty of discussion about it elsewhere

If its located at the lexus centre along with optus oval and Windy hill im all for it :fing32 :fing32

No.

There's plenty of sun & wind around to harness.

Alternatively, if we do go down that road, let it be built in either Bennelong or where Higgins borders Kooyong.

Phantom said:
No.
There's plenty of sun & wind around to harness.
Alternatively, if we do go down that road, let it be built in either Bennelong or where Higgins borders Kooyong.

Phantom,

With our growing population, will there be enough 'natural' resources to harness, into the future?

A poll in the "small paper" yesterday showed a slight majority in favour of a nuclear power station. I was surprised by that result. I expected a fervent anti nuclear sentiment to arise in the Australian public.

If you know how to subscribe to podcasts, the economist magazine has a pretty good debate on the subject. I believe you can still get it through Itunes.

A founder and leader of Greenpeace, puts a very strong case FOR going nuclear for Great Britain. I was surprised.

Nuclear power is cleaner than coal produced electricity. Reports around that claim more radioactivity is released from coal fired electricity plants than from a nuclear power plant.

Eventually coal will run out whilst solar and wind are available the question is can enough electricity be produced to power the whole state by these means.

A bit of inside info for you.

Nuclear power plants will happen in Victoria and the main reason will be to power the deslaination plants that will be built.

Rob

PS I got the following message when I hit the reply button, not sure if ignoring it is the right thing to do?

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

t-rob said:
PS I got the following message when I hit the reply button, not sure if ignoring it is the right thing to do?

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

It's fine to ignore it, post away. It's only saying there hasn't been a lot of interest in the thread lately.

brigadiertiger said:
Nuclear power is cleaner than coal produced electricity. Reports around that claim more radioactivity is released from coal fired electricity plants than from a nuclear power plant.

Eventually coal will run out whilst solar and wind are available the question is can enough electricity be produced to power the whole state by these means.

I agree with brigadier. Whilst not a fan of nuclear energy, I believe that other technologies will be developed that will make nuclear energy redundant sooner rather than later (That's assuming of course, the human race survives long enough). Money and greed drive this planet and it's in the interest of most countries to develop new energy sources. The cost of producing nuclear energy will eventually make it uneconomical for a number of reasons.