Nixon made up the GWS offer | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Nixon made up the GWS offer

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
I don't often believe the AFL but in this case they have categorically stated that no offer was made to Dustin Martin by GWS, and they should know as it is all AFL money they are playing with. So if this is the case, then it has to be Nixon who has exploited the whole thing and feeding to the media a total lie that there was a $2.4mil offer for Dusty.

This coupled with the fact that the club had started negotiations some weeks before this story surfaced.

Now I know that managers will try all sorts of tricks to leverage a better deal for their client, but this sort of behaviour is well beyond what I would consider ethical.

Surely the AFL has to look at these thing as Nixon et al are all AFL registered player managers and would have to adhere to certain ethics.

And not bad form by Nixon, we save his biggest client 2 years ago and he tries to burn us with our best young player now. *smile*.

What about Sheedy's media work at the time ? He certainly made it sound like Martin was the type of kid he was after.

Ghost of 29 said:
I don't often believe the AFL but in this case they have categorically stated that no offer was made to Dustin Martin by GWS, and they should know as it is all AFL money they are playing with. So if this is the case, then it has to be Nixon who has exploited the whole thing and feeding to the media a total lie that there was a $2.4mil offer for Dusty.

This coupled with the fact that the club had started negotiations some weeks before this story surfaced.

Now I know that managers will try all sorts of tricks to leverage a better deal for their client, but this sort of behaviour is well beyond what I would consider ethical.

Surely the AFL has to look at these thing as Nixon et al are all AFL registered player managers and would have to adhere to certain ethics.

And not bad form by Nixon, we save his biggest client 2 years ago and he tries to burn us with our best young player now. *smile*.

But is there any evidence/proof etc that it was Nixon? If not then the AFL won't do anything...then again I'm not sure what the AFL would/can do even if there was evidence/proof.

Baloo said:
What about Sheedy's media work at the time ? He certainly made it sound like Martin was the type of kid he was after.

I am convinced that Sheedy has gone troppo. He has become nothing more than a media *smile*, who blurts out whatever comes into his head, most of it nonsensical. He would have heard the rumour and jumped all over it.

On Sheedy, did you hear his presser for Izzy Folou? When compared bringing kids from other sports into AFL? He just speaks *smile* non stop naming Hird, Fletcher, Ramanaskus, Hille to name a few who all "came from other sports" and how he transformed them. What nonsense, they all played top level junior footy but also happened to play another sport at the same time.

If this rests on who is telling the truth out of Nixon, the AFL, and Sheedy, then we're probably out of luck!

Maybe someone in the Media started it!

Maybe Sheedy was *smile* stirring and dropped a one-liner that a pisspoor non-investigative journalist took and expanded on

Maybe it was Nixon who droped a one-liner and the journo ran off with a "stop the presses story"

Maybe a journo just made it up after piecing together unrelated one-liners from different people.

Maybe an unknown AFL Official or Club Official who is against the GWS and GC started a rumour that was given air by those who would benefit from it.

Just maybe it was a poor AFL news day.

Whatever - no use crossing the bridge until you get to it.

Worry puts mortals in their grave before they are due to be there..........

Don't forget abouth the whole black saturday royal commision debarcle too.

Mr Pumblechook said:
If this rests on who is telling the truth out of Nixon, the AFL, and Sheedy, then we're probably out of luck!

What a choice Pimpledick? Have to say Nixon is a along way behind all the same. His sticking his tow bobs worth in the Stkilda Girl debacle is a classic example of no brains or decorum. The other two parties you mentioned have at least one of those attributes ;D

Ghost of 29 said:
I am convinced that Sheedy has gone troppo. He has become nothing more than a media , who blurts out whatever comes into his head, most of it nonsensical. He would have heard the rumour and jumped all over it.

On Sheedy, did you hear his presser for Izzy Folou? When compared bringing kids from other sports into AFL? He just speaks sh!te non stop naming Hird, Fletcher, Ramanaskus, Hille to name a few who all "came from other sports" and how he transformed them. What nonsense, they all played top level junior footy but also happened to play another sport at the same time.

Yeah he is off his rocker. He is getting nuttier and nuttier.

I would be interesting to find out how much footy Sheeds gets to see these days. I don't reckon it would be anymore than the average punter.

If you were a 17 year old who would you prefer to be drafted by Sheeds or Guy McKenna?

Dont be fooled :eek:ld Sheedy is the one that started this get Martin for $800,000 crapola.
Tricky Nixon as Martins manager loves this sort of stuff as it pushes up Martins value.

Love there bit where Sheeds was asked whether the Folau experiment would be considered a failure if he never played an AFL game. Sheeds said he would definitely play AFL. When asked how he knew, he said I am the coach (inferring he would ensure he was given games no matter how poorly he performed). Was said half in jest I am sure, but it's a bit of a worry.