New tactic against the flood or zonal defence. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

New tactic against the flood or zonal defence.

pahoffm

No one player is bigger than the club.
Mar 24, 2004
As we know, there are always opportunities to adapt the best features or tactics of other games into Aussie Rules.

This season, I've seen an opportunity to adapt an old Rugby / Grid-Iron tactic into our game. I'm not sure what its specifically called in either of these two codes.

Traditionally, Aussie Rules has revered the very long low kick to an open forward, either leading or in a one-on-one contest.
Unfortunately, through flooding, the forward is often beaten in a two-on-one contest because defenders drop back and the ball arrives before crumbers can get to the contest.

What is instead of a long low pass, a team uses a shorter, but still fairly long, high pass, like the Grid-iron punt kick.
The forward can still contest with the intension of bringing the ball to ground, but it also allows time for the attacking team's flankers and midfielders to get the fall of the contest, with momentum (both teams) heading towards the attacking team's goal.

If the attacking team gets possession, they have a local superiority in numbers.
If the defending team gets possession, they are under pressure trying to turn away fronm the goals that they are defending.

Of course, many of you have seen this tactic, of chip punts with players running onto the ball, used in NRL regularly.
And the Punt Return is a standard tactic in Grid Iron. Of course, you'd kick it to a contest and not an opposition player on his own.

Must say, watching Geelong a few times, I've seen Chappie use this type of kick, whether intentionally or not, to good effect.

Who knows, maybe certain clubs are already employing this tactic already and I'm a bit slow on the uptake.
There has been a return to kicking to contests this season.

Food for thought anyway.

i reckon i saw chappy deliberately (he's too skilled for it to be an accident) do one out of the backline into the centre last night. did anyone else see that?

Now that you mention it I reckon other players are using it as well. I think the Bulldogs may have used it today.

Personally I would like to see three talls playing on the ff line,with instructions to smash the packs whilst attempting to mark,and have three crumbers on the HF line to get the the spoils.A few knees in the defenders backs might make them hesitate for a change.