Miller learns plenty about Tigers in defeat | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Miller learns plenty about Tigers in defeat

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
Miller learns plenty about Tigers in defeat
Tony Greenberg
richmondfc.com.au
26 February, 2003

Richmond's new Director of Football, Greg Miller, views the team's ordinary first-up effort for 2003, against Melbourne in last Friday night's Wizard Cup encounter, as a blessing in disguise.

"As disappointed as I was straight after the game, for someone new into the Club, like myself, it's just the first stepping stone for where we ultimately want to be - and that's a successful, top of the ladder side," Miller said.

"I learnt a hell of a lot. I picked up information on strengths and weaknesses that the Richmond side's got. It showed some areas where we know we've got to improve.

"We'd talked about it - now we've seen it first-hand, and there's some things we can work on straight away."

Miller was particularly keen to witness the reaction of the Tigers' players, coaches and staff to last Friday night's defeat.

"It was interesting to see the response - who it hurt, who it didn't hurt. I found out a lot about individuals and how our people responded under different sorts of pressure," Miller said.

Although the loss to Melbourne was a hefty one on the scoreboard, Miller found reason to be pleased with the way the players adhered to the team's game plan, which has undergone some changes since the end of last season.

"I was really pleased to see people taking on board some discipline with the game plan Danny's installed. There were certainly some positive signs in that regard," he said.

"Now, you're not going to get it right first-up - it takes a little bit of time to adjust, but Danny's got a very distinct game plan, and I thought the discipline of the players in sticking to that game plan last Friday night, was very good.

"Sure, there were some individual efforts that weren't up to scratch, which let the game plan down. I thought, as a general view - and not wanting to interfere with the coaches in what they're doing - that we played 50/50 football, which is basically being too far apart from your opponent, prepared to concede . . . win one, lose one.

"But at least we stuck to the game plan, which the players and coaches have been working pretty hard on during the pre-season.

"It came undone because of some poor performances - it didn't come undone because the game plan was wrong.

"We'll stiffen our resolve and we'll learn who's capable of playing that brand of football and who is not."

Miller had a strong message for those Richmond supporters now reluctant to sign up as Tiger members in 2003 following last Friday night's failure.

"It always concerns me that supporters are going to take it on board too seriously and it's going to affect whether they join up or not. As far as I'm concerned, that's bull….

"They shouldn't be viewing it on one game and they shouldn't be viewing it on your performances in the pre-season competition.

"Look, I know first-up we were disappointing and we've certainly got some things to fix, but I am very confident that we'll have those faults ironed out.

"Come Round 1 against Collingwood, I can assure all our members that we'll be giving a great account of ourselves."

sounds as though the footy director has got the right attitude...he supports the coach...the plan...now let's get the right guys on the park to play the plan.

curse this trip to woop-woop.

Miller is in damage control.

He also wittnessed how poor the game plan was, but he is also concerned about memberships.

Lets hope they find a game plan that works.

Good on you Miller, where on your side.

I brought my membership back in January. :-X

It came undone because of some poor performances - it didn't come undone because the game plan was wrong.

"We'll stiffen our resolve and we'll learn who's capable of playing that brand of football and who is not."

1st time in about 25yrs since i have heard a richmond official actually come out and say something like this.GR would be proud.
home truths best way to weed out who,s got it and who hasnt.

Ít wont take Miller long to work out the main problem at tigerland ;D

Trying very hard to refrain from commenting on Danny's
"distinct" game plan......