MCG - City End | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

MCG - City End

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
I’m calm tonite. We all know a win was not expected. It’s a long haul, etc.

This one has been on my mind for a long time but I have never raised it on this website previously. The Punt Road End is our home end. Our home ground on that side and our supporters are always there. But we have had major issues scoring goals at the other end. Only 3 tonite.

I don't know if it's a coincidence, but we've had a big issues over the past 15 years with 4th quarter fadeouts, and most of those times we've been heading towards the city end in the last quarter. Do we have a psychological issue scoring at that end of the ground?

Q4 fade outs are more to do with fitness, desire and mental strength.
We are poor in all of these areas.

Digglers Ghost said:
We have psychological issues scoring at ANY ground on EITHER end Ian!! :help
I think we should do as George did in the final episode of Season 5 in Seinfeld. Called "The Opposites" George states that"“if every instinct you have is wrong, then the opposite would have to be right”. He starts doing the opposite and his life turns around. Who knows? It might work for us. :p

just to make my point, i'm gonna keep stats and add to it as the season progesses.

R1 (Carlton) - PRE 6, City End 3
R2 (Footscray) - PRE 4, City End 3
R4 (Melbourne) - PRE 6, City End 5
R8 (Hawthorn) - PRE 8, City End 5
R9 (Essendon) -
R11 (St Kilda) -
R12 (West Coast) -
R14 (Sydney) -
R16 (North Melbourne) -
R17 (Collingwood) -
R18 (Adelaide) -
R19 (Melbourne) -
R20 (Carlton) -

Running Total - PRE 10, City End 6

Ian, I certainly feel like we don't score as well at the "other" end as we do at the PRE. Do teams generally score better kicking towards their cheer squads than toward the opposition's?

R4 (Melbourne) - PRE 6, City End 5.

but i should add that when we were going towards the PRE, the score was rich 44, melb 38.
when going towards the city end, the score was rich 34, melb 95.
huge differential.

R8 (Hawthorn) - PRE 8, City End 5

once again the city end stuffs us. but in saying that we won our first quarter of the year at the city end this year (3.1 - 2.5 in the first quarter). so, we've played 8 quarters at the city end in 2010 and won 1.

Ian4 said:
haha. proof is in the pudding mate. we have a serious issue when going to the city end - and have for years.

C'mon Bin, there's no Tiger curse at the G. ;D

It might have happened before the 90s, when the PRE was always packed with us supporters which was loud and gave motivation to our players, while the Ponsford end used to be a quiet, empty land of concrete where kids just kicked the footy around not concentrating on the game.

Ian4 said:
haha. proof is in the pudding mate. we have a serious issue when going to the city end - and have for years.

Your phsycological theory should be presented to Hardwick. The numbers mean nothing when we have a lack of key forwards.

You must believe in UFO's too.

geoffryprettyboy said:
Your phsycological theory should be presented to Hardwick. The numbers mean nothing when we have a lack of key forwards.

You must believe in UFO's too.

lacking key forwards has no correlation. we play much better footy when kicking to the PRE. its as simple as that.

actually i do believe in UFO's. we just don't have the technology to find them.

Actually,we like the city end,didn't you notice we kicked backwards a couple of times resulting in Hawthorn goals ;D

That 9 goal first Q vs Nth 95 was to the City End I think. About the best I can recall.
And these days inside the G, it all looks the same. Its a wonder players dont kick thewrong way more.

Almost every team is like this. Just like the Coventry end is the higher scoring end at Etihad, Punt Road End is the higher scoring end at the MCG.