Mad Monday 2014 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Mad Monday 2014

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
Mad Monday Brings Another Sudden Retirement
By Blake Batchelor for spittle.com.au

Football forum identity Tony Braxton-Hicks has announced his resignation as convenor of the annual Mad Monday thread, effective immediately. “There’s only so much low-hanging fruit you can pick,” he said in a statement, “so I knew the gig was up when Daniel Jackson retired.”

However, internet sources speculated that Braxton-Hicks had been unable to crack the team’s inner circle this year and didn’t even know where the players were holding their post-season function.

“I don’t think anyone knows where they are,” Braxton-Hicks admitted. “No one’s seen the team since they took the road to elimination via Snowtown.”

Tigers coach Damien Hardwick said it was about time Braxton-Hicks dipped his nib in the ink well for the last time.

“He says he’s writing better than last year,” Hardwick said, “and then he types about pens and ink wells. That makes about as much sense as upgrading Matt Thomas ahead of Anthony Miles. Or choosing to kick into the wind.

“It was Ivvy who noticed that his standards have slipped this year, and since his name’s not Chris Newman it’s time for him to hang up his … quill … sh!t … keyboard.”

While Braxton-Hicks has been less productive since the departures of Terry Wallace, Greg Miller and Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls, he disputed that he’d run out of inspiration for Mad Monday.

“I could have juxtaposed Port Adelaide’s prison bar motif with our lax ball security,” he said, “but we all know it would only have got a laugh if the concept of ball security was directly related to a player’s testicles.

"I could also have likened Sean Grigg’s kicking to Adelaide’s pie floaters,” he said. “They both make you feel sick in the guts yet they keep getting served up each week."

“Or I could have written that the real reason Jacko had quit the club was because of some locker room graffiti that was rangaphobic.”

"I could have even said that Sean Hampson hadn’t made a tap to advantage since the night Megan Gale conceived."

With Richmond's season over, Braxton-Hicks said he would now be frequenting a fan forum discussing The Bachelor.

“When you think about it, there’s not much difference between the side that took on Port Adelaide and the bachelorettes," he said. "In both cases a national audience is watching them getting *smile*ed over.

“In fact, Laurina reminds me so much of Cleve Hughes that I don’t think Blake has any hope of getting her dirty and wet.

"And there's a reason why Amber, Anita, Ricky and Aaron only get asked on group dates."

Football diehards were disappointed that the Mad Monday thread had been hijacked by Braxton-Hicks’ self-serving rant.

“It’s disappointing to see an anonymous loner directing such an ill-advised attempt at self-glorification to other internet loners,” said a self-glorifying loner on PuntRoadEnd. “I’m heading back to the list management, sack the coach and game plan threads.”

“I haven’t seen anything this limp since Tigers of Old went dark after 49,999 posts," said football analyst Gabi Grecko.

“Dud. Delist,” said the Coalition of Naysayers. “Nine meaningless puns won’t win back our respect."

“Is he even an Australian of the Year?" asked moral campaigner Shane Warne.

The story is now trending on Twitter with the hashtags #dirtyGriggfloater and #testiclesecurity

Gold TBH.

Hopefully you do a Phantom and make a comeback after retiring for the umpteenth time.

Nice bow out, though there is a feeling of John Farnhamism about your retirement

News just showed Chimp dressed in heavy metal leather with moonboots. :hihi (KISS?? I don't think so)

Dusty and Aedwards as two blingers.

TigerForce said:
News just showed Chimp dressed in heavy metal leather with moonboots. :hihi (KISS?? I don't think so)

Dusty and Aedwards as two blingers.

Cotch was dressed up as Paul Stanley.....with Ace's space boots.....and no make-up. Strange combo

I just hope you realise that this time next year, the calls for a Dame Nellie Melba style comeback will be deafening.

We'll done again.

Since TBH retired from his customary role of chasing Mad Monday sightings I headed out to a Swan St bar last night, scepitcal of the club's claim that it was only during a low-key lunch. I managed to find the team but was a little drunk myself after the pain of Sunday so forgive me if my memories are a little askew.

I think the team had just arrived and the first thing I saw was McBean on top of the bar yelling for drinks orders while claiming he could turn water into wine. Only Miles, Rance and Houli appeared to be listening. Miles took his word as gospel, Rance was more circumspect, saying he would only have a couple and not get drunk. Houli said he expected another guy to turn up a bit later who would advise him on whether to drink or not.
Newman, however, was knocking them back. The barman, who looked like Hardwick, kept giving him freebies and despite plenty urging him to ease up, Newman kept saying “one more, just one more", prompting approving nods from the barman and more free drinks.
Lloyd arrived late, nailed three shots and then disappeared before coming back later and downing three more.
Pretty sure Corey Ellis had a bit too much to drink. He was in the corner, legless.
I thought I saw Jack playing air guitar until I realised he was actually punching the ground.
Lennon looked uncomfortable all night. Seemed he was looking for an exit and he got annoyed when Conca stole his seat.
There was a bit of action on the crowded dancefloor: Grimes was dropping his shoulders to some RnB; Grigg had his admirers but there was a vocal minority who said his moves didn’t amount to much.
Brandon Ellis was busy all evening chasing the ladies. He got plenty of touches but not much penetration.
Knights got up to dance a few times but thought better of it and sat down again.
Maric was out there boogieing until Cypress Hill came on and he immediately headed to the bar.
I didn’t see Petterd much and felt that I didn’t miss him.
Conca was another I didn’t see much of. I heard he was in the kitchen all night.
Only spotted Dusty once. He seemed to spend most of his night in the toilet. Might be sick. I dunno. He did seem to be avoiding Dea all night but that was pretty easy as Matty spent most of the night watching a replay of some NBA game on a TV and advising everyone to stay under .05 if driving.
Ty got booted out for smuggling in his cats and then belting the bouncer who tried to eject them.
Chaplin tried to steal a drink but got snared by the busboy who was half his size.
Treloar popped his head in but was heard muttering that he was heading to a better place further north.
Cotch lined up at the urinal just before closing time and...missed.
The last bloke I saw was Astbury. Poor blighter, I think he got stung with the bill.

Great effort Scotty

:clap

You and I must have crossed paths because I was there too and I saw McBean nailing shots from everywhere early in the day and when Griff turned up for the main part of the evening, he quickly had 3 shots but missed his mouth from close range.

Astbury was there looking despondent because this time last year he was in fine form at the bar, but he couldn't get anywhere near the bar this year.

Saw Drummond pop in and he ordered a beer, had a bit but then wasn't seen for the rest of the night.

Morris' stats: 0 beers, 0 wines, 37987 star jumps

Axel Foley showed up but nobody remembered that he was still with the club so he got kicked out

Brandon Ellis topped the stat for the most beers and, while he was trying to dish some off, every time he delivered a beer to a teammate he spilt the beer right in front of him

Batchelor was going strong all night but failed dismally in the end, pissing his pants because he couldn't Waite

I wasn't able to get there during the day as I had class, but I was very fortunate to arrive for the final hour of the evening.

The bouncer almost didn't let me in because apparently the club wanted a 50/50 male/female policy.

When I walked in, they were announcing the winner to their hugely hyped end-of-season raffle competition. Trent's name was called out but nobody could find him. Matt Thomas jumped up to collect the prize on Trent's behalf, spilling McDonough's drink as he nudged past.

Troy Chaplin saw Trent somewhere right in the very middle of the crowd. So he stood up, puffed out his chest, and pointed in Trent's direction. Nobody asked Trent to come forward though.

One thing that was clear to me was what a farce the whole event was. Everyone was just trying to dance but occasionally you spill a little of your drink, get a little close to someone, or nudge the person next to you etc. Venue officials were hovering over everyone's shoulders handing out fines left, right and centre! And 7 minutes before I left, someone picked my pocket RIGHT IN FRONT OF THEM and they did nothing. Farce.

By this stage, Robbo was drunk texting long messages to someone on his contact list. It didn't make any sense whatsoever.

The barman was simply a wonderful person. Really lifted the feeling around the place. Just stuck to his process all night without taking a rest.

When I was just about to leave, I did see him struggling to reach the aged whiskey on the top shelf. He thought Griffiths' height would do the trick, so signalled him over from the other side of the venue. Lennon was right there though.

I asked Ben if I could buy him a final beer. I was pleased when he said he's given up drinking. Said he's tried the draught, doesn't want to try it again, and felt sick at the thought of trying to brand on tap (I think he's staying!) :clap :clap

But in the end, I would definitely say that Castagna was man of the night. He pulled the boys together, had a few stern words, and ever since then the entire team has been fully committed to The Contest.

Was a good day.
Pessimist shook hands with Grigg and congratulated him on being the AFL's 626th best player.
Asian Tetley witnessed Dimma's contract extension.
Rimmau handed out Diggler's caravan park vouchers.
Lennon was drinking a blue heaven milkshake.
Carter's drink was "one mixed message with cream please".
An ambulance was called for pessimist.
Griff played a 4 hour game of pool. Just couldn't get the hang of potting the reds.
Morro was busy as usual taking photos.
Tyrone had his rostered off day. Wasn't sighted.
Blair Hartley announced that Fyffe and Danger didn't fit our list profile. He's backing Thomas.
Liam came for 5 minutes - dropped a sausage roll - and wasn't seen again.
Sir Alex and Bachar were quietly comparing religions in the corner.

The day finished when Chaplin pointed his finger at the exit.
But Griff is still there trying to find the door. He's getting help from Cotch.

As reported in the press, and forewarned in this thread a year ago, there was no Mad Monday this year.

Dimma was supposed to give out the invitations but he lost it at the selection table.