Longest kick competition Grand Final Day | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Longest kick competition Grand Final Day

burgin27strang28

Tiger Cub
Mar 17, 2008
Apologies if this has already been discussed. Rance is arguablu one of if the most valuable palyers on our list and a gun player and should have polled better in the brownlow but in true brownlow tradition as a key back he didn't seem to poll as well as I thought he should have. IMHO his effort in round 2 should have been rewarded with 3 votes but only got two (Bontempelli is a absolute star so a worthy 3-vote winner) but thought Rance was the proverbial stone wall that day despite being in a losing team. It seems the team that wins seems to have the player with the three votes which is a bugbear of mine. The result should not dictate the votes (this goes for all media awards as well).

Rance is more than an acceptable kick and his effort on GF day exhibition with that kick was awesome and exceeded my expectations somewhat. Just wondering why Ben Griffiths didn't participate as from what I have seen in season's past think when he gets onto them he is probably our longest kick(??). I guess the whole thing is a publicity stunt to get crowd interest and so including players with high profiles.

Just wondering if there is consensus as to who our longest kick really is. I still rate Griffiths as the longest kick but Newy could get onto a torp. Remember that goal he kicked from the centre square at Subi some years ago - he could really time a barrel and showed technique and timing was critical. Not sure anyone at present could beat Jess or Roach for length of kicks when they would let fly with the barrel. Clay had a brilliant measured technique for the torp and Freddie Swift's drop kicks would challenge a lot of players today as would Billy Barrot's torps out of the centre. Even Rex Hunt could kick massive tops at times. I miss the drop kicks and torps!!!I grew up learning these first.

Rance was unlucky the wind come up after he had his kicks.

Griffo would be our longest kick but may not have been available, most of the guys looked liked they'd rather be some where else.

Some of my first memories are of the big barrels that Fred Swift used to get onto---ah the good old days.

Petrie kicked last and won 60m cloke second
Petrie gave it to Rance saying he'd seen that look of defeat on his face 3 weeks ago aswell .

69 vintage said:
Petrie gave it to Rance saying he'd seen that look of defeat on his face 3 weeks ago aswell .

Petrie confirmed wanker with that comment.

69 vintage said:

Thanks. Petrie poking the bear - I like it.

Some of the kicks, and Petrie's wanker confirming sledge :eek: , can be watched here

tigerman said:
Rance was unlucky the wind come up after he had his kicks.

Did Cotch choose the kicking order? >:D

Fair sledge from Petrie. Probably a bit sour that Rance has kept him to 1 kick the past few times he's played on him.

69 vintage said:

Petrie's got a bit of nerve seeing Rance towelled him up both times.

Tigers of Old said:
Did Cotch choose the kicking order? >:D

Fair sledge from Petrie. Probably a bit sour that Rance has kept him to 1 kick the past few times he's played on him.
I'd say that's exactly it, ToO. I'm sure Rance is quite secure that he's got Petrie's number.