Let's stop whining about priority picks eh?? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Let's stop whining about priority picks eh??

grumpytiger

Tiger Matchwinner
May 6, 2007
Pick 4? No priority picks? So what?

This year we picked up a gem with pick 3. I know it's early days but we may have found a talented forward with pick 30 something (astbury). We've picked up a prodigious talent in TT with pick 51.

We have a pick one (Lids) pick 2 (cotch) pick 3 (dusty) and pick 4 (tambo) in the side. We have a very talented 3rd tall forward in jack (pick 13). We have a talented ruckman we selected with pick 8 in TV. We still have a top 20 pick waiting in the wings yet to debut in Griffiths.

We're going to get another very good player in pick 4 this year. And one of our best midfielders came off the rookie list.

Yes it's a bugger that we won't get pick 1 this year. Or next year when we may well win the spoon again. But I reckon Hardwick, Gale and our president are intelligent men. They have set bold goals for us, KNOWING the future landscape of limited draft picks.

Do you think Hardwick's job interview didn't include mitigating strategies to deal with this? Do you think Benny Gale doesn't know that we need to recruit smarter than we ever have before?

While all these picks are going to GC17 and GWS, other clubs will be missing out too. Let's not whinge about what we can't change (it makes us sound like magpie fans). Let's back Benny to pour the dollars into recruiting so we can uncover some more gems like I think we might have this year.

Eat em alive tiger!

grumpytiger said:

This year we picked up a gem with pick 3. I know it's early days but we may have found a talented forward with pick 30 something (astbury). We've picked up a prodigious talent in TT with pick 51.

We have a pick one (Lids) pick 2 (cotch) pick 3 (dusty) and pick 4 (tambo) in the side. We have a very talented 3rd tall forward in jack (pick 13). We have a talented ruckman we selected with pick 8 in TV. We still have a top 20 pick waiting in the wings yet to debut in Griffiths.

We're going to get another very good player in pick 4 this year. And one of our best midfielders came off the rookie list.

Yes it's a bugger that we won't get pick 1 this year. Or next year when we may well win the spoon again. But I reckon Hardwick, Gale and our president are intelligent men. They have set bold goals for us, KNOWING the future landscape of limited draft picks.

Do you think Hardwick's job interview didn't include mitigating strategies to deal with this? Do you think Benny Gale doesn't know that we need to recruit smarter than we ever have before?

While all these picks are going to GC17 and GWS, other clubs will be missing out too. Let's not whinge about what we can't change (it makes us sound like magpie fans). Let's back Benny to pour the dollars into recruiting so we can uncover some more gems like I think we might have this year.

Eat em alive tiger!

Great post, we've got the talent and the potential, the boys just have to work hard and they could get there. We just don't want another fiora with pick 4.

might be a bit early to say it but you could add pick 71 for ben nason....

Ive been very impressed by him anyway

duki said:
might be a bit early to say it but you could add pick 71 for ben nason....

Ive been very impressed by him anyway

True, he has been very good for us so far, let's hope he can continue to develop

totally agree.

Our track record in recruiting would suggest that not having pick one will make the recruiting panel work harder to look at the pool of talent and not just get 'best available' but recruit according to our needs.

It's not just the first pick, though. The next pick will be somewhere in the late 20's and early 30's, whereas previously you would get one in the teens.

CarnTheTiges said:
It's not just the first pick, though. The next pick will be somewhere in the late 20's and early 30's, whereas previously you would get one in the teens.

That's the whole point. That's where the value will be. Unveiling talent in picks 25 - 50.

grumpytiger said:

Eat em alive tiger!

Nice work Grumpy. Cudos for the positive outlook. Fortunately, last year's drafting performance indicates we'll recruit to a higher standard from this point on (how they are developed is a seperate issue).

I'm sure they have good strategies in place, and I have confidence that our current administration/football department will get us back on track and into serious contention in time, however I do believe that there is a difference between pick 1 and 4, and early priority picks might be significant. In addition, the fact that teams like carlton, melbourne, the saints etc received multiple No 1 picks in a row while they were rebuilding and we won't makes it much harder to swallow.

Still, we'll have to soldier on with the cards we have been dealt with. I suppose it will make it even more rewarding when we do eventually reach the pinnacle.

dead right, Im pretty comfortable with the untried talent currently on our list...12 mths into these boys will do them the world of good...of course No 4 represents massive value considering what we understand the GC have already locked onto. I am certain we will use a player or two to leverage our way into the draft and be fairly active during trade time