Leadership! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Leadership!

dimmauchump

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2003
This is our biggest issue atm and one that will cause us the most problems moving forward. We no longer have any leaders. We have great teammates and great mateship at the club but we lack any real leaders. That is what is causing all these fade outs and complete chokes this year. I don't think it is a lack of effort or want.

The problem is the actual leaders we do have are either not getting on the park due to injury or the ones that are getting on the park are no longer able to exert their influence due to ageing legs.

I see Cotchin as one of the greatest leaders this club has produced and really hasn't been given the credit he deserves in the AFL Community as one of the great Captains of our game. Unfortunately injuries and age have limited his output.
Jack R. Another leader who just can't influence games anymore.
Sheds. Ditto
Lambert. Another unsung hero who has been a massive leader within the club. Not sure people realise just how much we miss this guy. Mentally one of the best leaders we have had and in a crucial part of the ground being the midfield.
I also think Lynch is a good leader and should have been looked at for the captaincy.

In our dominant years we had some great leaders throughout the spine of the team. Dave, Houli and Rance in the backline. Cotch, Lambert and Grigg in the middle. Jack, Caddy and Sheds in the fwd line. That is almost all gone now.

The co-captaincy is a sign that we lack any real leader outside of Cotch. Grimes and Nank are not leaders of men. They are great teammates. Great players. Great Clubmen. They cannot lead others around them though when faced with pressure. Grimes for all his positives is a panic merchant when under extreme pressure. Same with Nank. They were the wrong choices.

The biggest concern is that there really isn't much outside of them. I thought Jack Graham could be the next captain but he is another one that cannot lead. Ross had the potential but is struggling to keep his spot.

Off the field is also telling. Our success and the soft cap have been our biggest issue. We lost some significant leaders throughout the years. The most notable being Innes, Leppa and Fly. Not sure bringing in Teague was the right move. Problem is we don't have the cap to go out and grab a Hodge who i think would be fantastic as an off field leader. Outside of him i'd be trying my darnest to get Grigg back at the club.

Then there is the official leadership. Peggy will be gone. Gale, how much hunger is left after achieving what he set out to do with the 3-0-75. Balmey. He's hardly sighted anymore and how much involvement does he actually have?

Think we are in for a lot more pain as those drafts during our dominant years have not yielded any leadership at all. RCD, Dow, Martyn, Cumberland, Aarts, Miller etc not a leader amongst them.
I think the club has addressed it with the likes of Gibcus and Sonsie who i do think will give us some leadership in years to come but not sure what we do in the short term to remain relevant. If we could recruit someone like Touk Miller for now that would be ideal. For this alone i wonder if we retire Jack R, Lambert and Sheds and give Cotch one more year.

Reactions: 2 users
Also missing Emma Murray I reckon (especially for Dusty now).

I don't think Grimo and Nank are good leaders as I don't see any of it on-field during games which probably leads to the undisciplined acts and complacency.

In previous interviews I've heard players say they miss Leppa a lot.

It's time for some of the previous kids such as Dan Rioli to become a leader as he has matured a bit now which can be seen in the way he plays.

Reactions: 1 user
Also missing Emma Murray I reckon (especially for Dusty now).

I don't think Grimo and Nank are good leaders as I don't see any of it on-field during games which probably leads to the undisciplined acts and complacency.

In previous interviews I've heard players say they miss Leppa a lot.

It's time for some of the previous kids such as Dan Rioli to become a leader as he has matured a bit now which can be seen in the way he plays.
Agree re Emma Murray. Not sure what has happened there.

Our backline has zero leadership atm. Vlastuin, Grimes, Tarrant, Broad have no real leadership. Think D. Rioli should be elevated to leadership group but suppose we need to re-sign him first.

Short is another one i forgot about. Absolute zero leadership and really should be one of the players that should have stepped up in that regards.

I'm hearing and reading this is the topic of the week for us through the media and has been the main problem in losing winnable games this season.

The problem that other posters have indicated, great players are not necessarily great leaders. Cotchin was one of those rare beasts who had both attributes in his arsenal. For me Lambert would have made a great leader but his broken body has curtailed that and I don't see one player in the club who would lead from the front and others would follow

Alternate thought is it’s hard to front up as a leader when the king is still alive (Cotchin) no matter how confident, you’d always have a tiny bit of doubt and comparison…. Tough gig

Alternate thought is it’s hard to front up as a leader when the king is still alive (Cotchin) no matter how confident, you’d always have a tiny bit of doubt and comparison…. Tough gig
Hmmm, that’s what Malcolm Turnbull and Scott Morrison each said when Tony Abbott was on their backbench.

The recent exodus of club leadership in the playing group was on full display at last night's JDM.

I'd worried about the intangible departures of the likes of Cotch, Jack & Shedda among several others but seeing our players on stage last night highlighted just how much impact those leaving recently has had.
Only Broady really did himself proud. Young Kaleb Smith also shows some fine traits in this area but we don't yet know if he can play.
It looked like the burden has taken a toll on Nank. No surprises there after we find ourselves sliding from the penthouse to the cellar in quick time. However it does also beg questions if he's the correct fella to right the ship?

Couple all of this with the surprising & disappointing departure of 3 of our top 5 best players for the year (in their mid twenties) & it compounds the seriousness of the issues.

Who are our up & coming leaders? It appears to be a somewhat of a void right now as the group struggles to fill the big shoes of those hugely successful leaders before them. Many of our under 25s have barely established their spots in the 22.

I've said it before but whichever young kids we take this year at the pointy end of the draft, leadership traits must be near the head of the list of character requirements.

We can't let this all fall at the feet of an incoming first year coach. Leadership succession systems are put in place well before then.

I don't think we can underestimate just how much this has affected the club in such a short period. Concerning tbh.

Reactions: 3 users
btw - Sam Banks has captained every team he's played in before coming to the RFC

Bolton Rioli Baker and Graham were not captain material and i guess they've proved that themselves now

Reactions: 1 users
btw - Sam Banks has captained every team he's played in before coming to the RFC

Bolton Rioli Baker and Graham were not captain material and i guess they've proved that themselves now
Banks, Brown and Mansell showing leadership at training and when possible at games.

So does Dion. Josh G another that shows leadership. Kelts as well.

Leadership develops over time. Let's see how next year pans out.

I tend to enjoy the growth period nearly as much as the cups. Seeing who develops and how is always interesting.

Reactions: 9 users
The recent exodus of club leadership in the playing group was on full display at last night's JDM.

I'd worried about the intangible departures of the likes of Cotch, Jack & Shedda among several others but seeing our players on stage last night highlighted just how much impact those leaving recently has had.
Only Broady really did himself proud. Young Kaleb Smith also shows some fine traits in this area but we don't yet know if he can play.
It looked like the burden has taken a toll on Nank. No surprises there after we find ourselves sliding from the penthouse to the cellar in quick time. However it does also beg questions if he's the correct fella to right the ship?

Couple all of this with the surprising & disappointing departure of 3 of our top 5 best players for the year (in their mid twenties) & it compounds the seriousness of the issues.

Who are our up & coming leaders? It appears to be a somewhat of a void right now as the group struggles to fill the big shoes of those hugely successful leaders before them. Many of our under 25s have barely established their spots in the 22.

I've said it before but whichever young kids we take this year at the pointy end of the draft, leadership traits must be near the head of the list of character requirements.

We can't let this all fall at the feet of an incoming first year coach. Leadership succession systems are put in place well before then.

I don't think we can underestimate just how much this has affected the club in such a short period. Concerning tbh.
Haha I responded exactly to this in a post in the draft thread. We need to bring in the next leaders. Ones who will drive the standards and set us going again.

Luckily the draftees at the top end are also current captains.

Starting to look like end of 1982 again

Starting to look like end of 1982 again
There is a big difference imo.

In 1982 we had some hotheads in charge. Graham Richmond and Octa Wilson were bent on revenge and that’s what destroyed us in the end. We wanted to get back at Collingwood and went after Philip Walsh, John Annear and others. When we did that we further damaged the fabric of the club by getting existing stars offside.

The reaction now imo is one of quiet determination. We are going to rebuild and recharge.

Miles apart in my view

Reactions: 9 users
There is a big difference imo.

In 1982 we had some hotheads in charge. Graham Richmond and Octa Wilson were bent on revenge and that’s what destroyed us in the end. We wanted to get back at Collingwood and went after Philip Walsh, John Annear and others. When we did that we further damaged the fabric of the club by getting existing stars offside.

The reaction now imo is one of quiet determination. We are going to rebuild and recharge.

Miles apart in my view
I know what went down mate it’s so Deja vu

Looking through the list for on field leadership I think Balta is somewhat the right age demeanour etc etc to take over the reins from Nank who I think should have a rest from the captaincy.