Kicking goals in 2016 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Kicking goals in 2016

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Was troubled by our % on the NAB ladder. Sure, wins and losses were meaningless, but the way we transitioned forward of the wing against Port, our last major hit out before Thursday night, was terrible.

It has been well documented that we need to find more goals if we are to have an impact in September. But where will they come from?

I would argue that we already have the players, and have done for three years.

In Round 1 we rolled out with:

Lambert Riewoldt Rioli
Lloyd Vickery Martin

All six of these players have very good goal instincts, can read the play and create something out of nothing.

Logically, if we're gonna insist on bombing low quality long ball to the top of the square, it makes plenty of sense to load up with skill and nous to help convert bad entries.

In the past Dimma has insisted on safe ball movement that inevitably falls down across half forward because we have too many blokes behind the ball. If we manage to create a stoppage the moment is already lost as the forward line is now clogged.

In short, we have either had too few blokes in the F50 or too few.

There is no doubt that we are defensively sound. I have no beef with looking to setup from the back and slice teams on the counter.

Rioli, Lennon, Edwards and Lloyd in a bit of space. I would love to see that. 70,000 members would love to see that.

Dimma's bank balance would love to see that.

Just on the coach, you'd wanna hope there are some serious KPIs screwing him down. Forward-oriented KPIs. Peggy O'Neal has stressed financial stability ad nauseum lately. You ain't gonna recruit members with the 2005 era defensive crap Dimma seems to favour.

If the RFC can't get the forward line right, we're gonna be paying out on a coach who is unable to release the handbrake on this talented, top four quality unit.

Collingwood can be scored against.