Jacob Townsend | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jacob Townsend

Tigers of Old said:
Good post. Don't get me wrong Gyps, I love the guy for what he's done.
However he may simply get worked out by opposition analysis the more exposure he has at senior level. He really was a surprise packet up fwd & the timing of his purple patch couldn't have come at a better time last year. Key question now is whether that's sustainable..
But yeah I'd pay double to see him have another crack at Lever. ;D

All fair points, mate. I think we all hope that he is more than just a perfectly timed wildcard. Time will tell.

And you heard me loud and clear RE: Lever. ;D

I'm not too worried about Towner's form at this stage. He plays orthodox tall except for his being so short. ;D

Anyways the way you play blokes like Towner is pretty standard. You get an athletic tall to zone of him and jump over him. That's hasn't been working. With say, Lever, Towner takes front position and holds him off the contest. He led Jones away from the ball and held him off. We trade a pawn for a knight, or even a rook.

The other way to play him is with a conventional tall back who spoils him all game. Towner is supposed to block, to set a screen for the real marking target. Lead him on dummy leads off the contest. Outpace him to the boundary, from where he's deadly. And chop him up at ground level. That doesn't seem quite right ATM.

But the dummy leads thing is about subterfuge. I think that bit is working. I think we're setting to other targets. Not Towner. And I won't be at all surprised if he's the man this weekend. But who can predict?

Blocking, bullocking and bringing the ball down - Yes
Straight shots at goal - Yes
Low possession numbers - Yes

Watching him I think he plays a good game, one which keeps the axe away from the chicken coop door if he can also take some contested marks - hard to do given his size of course.

With George playing well and good on him Townsend becomes one of the weakest in the team and therefore the subject of scrutiny and pressure for his spot each week. A few contested marks keeps Jack the third at bay and Dimma's lad unhappy.

Towner is a very scarey unit to be chasing you. This takes physical pressure off the Superstars in the team. Worth a lot more than traditional stats to this side. AND plays September football. I'm a big fan. Caddy and Townsend have Jack's back in every altercation.

achillesjones said:
Towner is a very scary unit to be chasing you. This takes physical pressure off the Superstars in the team. Worth a lot more than traditional stats to this side. AND plays September football. I'm a big fan. Caddy and Townsend have Jack's back in every altercation.

Further, a couple of years ago Jack was being monstered by 2 or 3 in every contest. Opposition coaches now know that our goals come from all over the place. This means Jack is now more effective than he ever was.

He creates forward pressure, kicks his regulation two goals and is a hard nut. That's all he needs to stay in the team atm. Love his work and attitude. :clap

CC TIGER said:
Noticed Hodgey having a good chat to him after the game, be interesting to know what advise he had.
Maybe Jake was giving Hodge some tips on kicking....

tigertim said:
Maybe Jake was giving Hodge some tips on kicking....
yeah, I reckon thats the worst I've ever seen Hodgey kick in his whole career.

He's was bought in to suppossedly set standards at the Brions. Some example. He was bloody awful.

UKTiger said:
Back to what he does best. Kicks goals with a dead eye and still puts himself a fair bit
He also in good position to give off goals (at least 3 a game) to team mates, goes in hard, creates the opportunities for others.

Have a look at the replays, each time he kicks a goals a lot of his team mates rally. They show respect to the hard works he does for the team.

No 4 said:
He also in good position to give off goals (at least 3 a game) to team mates, goes in hard, creates the opportunities for others.

Have a look at the replays, each time he kicks a goals a lot of his team mates rally. They show respect to the hard works he does for the team.
So true