Jacob Townsend | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jacob Townsend

craig said:
Towners disposal count shouldnt have a bearing on his selection.

He is a very good marking target and is our most dependable shot at goal.

If he get s 3 shots inside 50 its most likely 2-3 goals, there is not many in the side with his conversion rate.

one of the top players will goals assist.

Townsend was a dead set hero in the finals last year, so has a few credits in the bank. However he has been a plodder this year, still bringing his hardness to the contest, but not finishing and providing the scoreboard pressure he had last year.

It’s a bit harsh that Lloyd gets marked so harshly for his lack of mobility and yet he worked hard up the ground on Sunday, 17 possessions, a goal and a couple of assists. Townsend looked a bit below the level.

Townsend plays second tall but rarely takes a contested mark, but he does make a good contest and bring the ball to ground. Caddy probably plays more of a similar role to Townsend but he takes the marks and can also roll into the midfield and do the job.

Last year Townsend got his spot when Caddy was injured, he didn’t really suit the team structure once Caddy returned, but on the weight of his scoring he had to keep his spot. If he doesn’t start kicking a few goals he will find his place in the side under pressure.

Perhaps some players are less suited to the early games where attacking is high versus the grinding winter matches and high-comtested possession finals

Townsend kicked goals in rd1 when he was matched up against Jones, who tried to zone off him.
he kicked goals late last year mostly matched up against guys who tried to zone off him.
rd 2 against the crows and this week against the hawks he got no name backs who's main job was to defend, and Townsend struggled.

there's a message in there somewhere.

1 year contract.
I'm sure he's not resting on his past.
He'll be back soon.

Baron Samedi said:
Astute call wriggly

Yeah I think wriggly is on the money.

No disrespect intended to the Higgins Bolton Lloyd’s shorts and concas etc...

But the premiership 22 TEAM dominated (ABSOLUTEKY FKN DOMINATED ) the best teams in the finals last year and I’ve got 100% no desire to see any of those 22 out of the team.

If Rioli or Prestia are injured, sure... someone else comes in - but otherwise those 22 players are our best 22.
I also don’t expect or wish for our best game to be up and running in April.
We need it in September.

Hawks had 5 different players between their 13 and 15 premiership teams. Regardless of who layed in the last one you are always looking to improve your list, whether that be because of form, injury or otherwise. Silly to disregard this over a season for the sake of the same 22 playing.

I can’t imagine it being a very motivating environment if poor seniors form and Good reserves form doesn’t get appropriately handled. You can’t just assume last years vest 22 is this years’ or you’ll destroy the culture. I get the love for the 22 that delivered though.

Jacob will appreciate having Caddy back this week. And his role is as much about negating intercept marks and bringing the ball to ground as it is about kicking his 2 goals.

At the moment the coaches trust JT to do this more than Moore, Chol, Soldo etc. Until they remove their training wheels it's Toughsend Time.

DirtyDogTiger said:
Yeah I think wriggly is on the money.

No disrespect intended to the Higgins Bolton Lloyd’s shorts and concas etc...

But the premiership 22 TEAM dominated (ABSOLUTEKY N DOMINATED ) the best teams in the finals last year and I’ve got 100% no desire to see any of those 22 out of the team.

If Rioli or Prestia are injured, sure... someone else comes in - but otherwise those 22 players are our best 22.
I also don’t expect or wish for our best game to be up and running in April.
We need it in September.

I think I read somewhere that no AFL/VFL premiership 22 (or 18, 19, 20) has ever played together again after their triumph. Can anyone confirm or disprove this?

YinnarTiger said:
I think I read somewhere that no AFL/VFL premiership 22 (or 18, 19, 20) has ever played together again after their triumph. Can anyone confirm or disprove this?

Never was and never will be.

wigglyworm said:
Would suggest without Caddy in that forward set up he took a bit more heat and struggled with the extra responsibility. Townsend and Caddy are really a one two punch in their positions

Great call, WW. Raced a bit flat and seemed to lack a yard or two of pace. Confidence went in the second half too. But unless a niggle is laying him low, he’s gotta be in on Saturday.

Townsend is still something of an unknown. He had a great preseason and put in a fine performance in round 1. The midfield was massacred in Adelaide in the round 2 road game, so Towner really wasn’t the problem. And against Hawthorn he had his first real test without Caddy and Rioli in support. He came up short. We were dominant anyway. Hardly a hanging offence.

Caddy takes the heat off Towner, so I’ll be expecting a vastly improved performance on Saturday. Another howler and the pressure might start to mount. But I still think Towner’s physicality and size has him ahead of Lloyd and while C Moore and Chol are improving they still have a long way to go before they leapfrog a premiership player.

Brodders17 said:
this week against the hawks he got no name backs who's main job was to defend, and Townsend struggled.

Wasn't watching him too hard - though he was in a number of contests against Stratton who owned him and pretty much everyone else too.

But taking your point Brodders - Townsend is a defensive forward - if he is playing on a defensive back then nothing much is going to happen - his A game isn't required. Point being here he was previously a midfielder now being retrained as a stopping forward. If he then has to become an attacking forward then it is a tricky mental gear change and one for which he doesn't have too much game time under his belt.

RoarEmotion said:
I can’t imagine it being a very motivating environment if poor seniors form and Good reserves form doesn’t get appropriately handled. You can’t just assume last years vest 22 is this years’ or you’ll destroy the culture. I get the love for the 22 that delivered though.

Excellent post. I've noticed already in games this season that Premiership players are escaping scrutiny more than others who aren't from some quarters. It's an easy trap to fall into but last year is last year & a 2017 premiership medal doesn't mean a whole lot in 2018. Gotta keep rewarding good performances from below & punishing those who misfire based on the now.
Townsend's success may well just be a flash in the pan. The game against lowly Carlton was pretty good but he's on thin ice after 2 quiet games the past fortnight. Not an established player he's under pressure. Interesting times for him.

Tigers of Old said:
Excellent post. I've noticed already in games this season that Premiership players are escaping scrutiny more than others who aren't from some quarters. It's an easy trap to fall into but last year is last year & a 2017 premiership medal doesn't mean a whole lot in 2018. Gotta keep rewarding good performances from below & punishing those who misfire based on the now.
Townsend's success may well just be a flash in the pan. The game against lowly Carlton was pretty good but he's on thin ice after 2 quiet games the past fortnight. Not an established player he's under pressure. Interesting times for him.

I’m not so sure it’s a trap, ToO. We are running a meritocracy. It’s a good thing. Towner forced his way in on merit late in 2017 and now somebody else has to do the same if they want his spot. But there isn’t a bloke in the twos currently who could come in and play his role better. Nor is there a tall with runs on the board. A prolonged run of bad form from Towner means the selection panel gives another bloke a crack, without the promoted player necessarily having to bang the door down. But two down games from your premiership FF isn’t exactly a prolonged run of poor form.

Towner is coming off what is hopefully an aberration from him and the whole team in the round 2 interstate loss and a poor game in a dominant win on Sunday; where he struggled with more heat due to Caddy’s absence and also lost his ideal match up in James Sicily to suspension. A knock on the head didn’t help either, but the fact is he looked rudderless against Hawthorn and his spot in the pecking order is worthy of discussion. He is under pressure and low in the pecking order, as you say.

However, his huge contribution late in 2017, his impressive 2018 preseason and flogging of Liam Jones in round 1 (kicked 4.2 while nullifying Jones’ influence) suggest that he’s probably entitled to at least another howler before he sees VFL time. Since we’ve been racing without a stack of luck in the opening rounds and we are still sitting pretty at 2-1, I’m not sure this is the right time to take the axe to what’s proven to be a premiership formula.

If I’m right and he’s available and selected, I’ll be barracking very hard for him to bounce back as we’ll need him fit and firing in what will be a very physical ANZAC day clash against Melbourne in round 5.

Gypsy__Jazz said:
I’m not so sure it’s a trap, ToO. We are running a meritocracy. It’s a good thing. Towner forced his way in on merit late in 2017 and now somebody else has to do the same if they want his spot. But there isn’t a bloke in the twos currently who could come in and play his role better. Nor is there a tall with runs on the board. A prolonged run of bad form from Towner means the selection panel gives another bloke a crack, without the promoted player necessarily having to bang the door down. But two down games from your premiership FF isn’t exactly a prolonged run of poor form.

Towner is coming off what is hopefully an aberration from him and the whole team in the round 2 interstate loss and a poor game in a dominant win on Sunday; where he struggled with more heat due to Caddy’s absence and also lost his ideal match up in James Sicily to suspension. A knock on the head didn’t help either, but the fact is he looked rudderless against Hawthorn and his spot in the pecking order is worthy of discussion. He is under pressure and low in the pecking order, as you say.

However, his huge contribution late in 2017, his impressive 2018 preseason and flogging of Liam Jones in round 1 (kicked 4.2 while nullifying Jones’ influence) suggest that he’s probably entitled to at least another howler before he sees VFL time. Since we’ve been racing without a stack of luck in the opening rounds and we are still sitting pretty at 2-1, I’m not sure this is the right time to take the axe to what’s proven to be a premiership formula.

If I’m right and he’s available and selected, I’ll be barracking very hard for him to bounce back as we’ll need him fit and firing in what will be a very physical ANZAC day clash against Melbourne in round 5.

Good post. Don't get me wrong Gyps, I love the guy for what he's done.
However he may simply get worked out by opposition analysis the more exposure he has at senior level. He really was a surprise packet up fwd & the timing of his purple patch couldn't have come at a better time last year. Key question now is whether that's sustainable..
But yeah I'd pay double to see him have another crack at Lever. ;D