Jacob Townsend | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jacob Townsend

When Townsend grabbed a mark 40 metres out, Grigg was telling all the other forwards calling for the ball to shut up.

They know this guy can kick goals.

At one point last night when I watched the reply (after returning from the G) they said since his comeback he'd had 36 kicks for 18 Goals.

He kicked a few more after that so I decided to look it up.

Since his comeback he's now had 38 kicks for 20 Goals.

Talk about clinical.

So nearly every 2nd time he kicks the Sherrin it goes back to the centre via the umpires.

Amazing stat!

Anyone who can walk into a game and walk out having improved his 50% of kicks =goals ratio is all right.

I think I like him the best of all the RFC players because of his limitations and his skills in front of goal. As a supporter if he has it you know it is going very close. You can stop holding your breath - if Townsend can't kick it, well, it was probably too hard anyway. For the "older supporter" out there he has poise in front of goal and toughness. For how many years were Richmond teams both wasteful, lacking poise and soft as butter. He sort of feels a little bit like the antithesis of the bad years.

Hmmm has anyone considered that he is only six games into his surprise reincarnation as a defensive forward. I wonder what he will be like once he finally gets the role down pat and really sets his personal development for it...

His kicking for goal is sublime, he doesn't just kick the goal, he puts is straight through the middle of the posts, none of this squeeze it in etc. You even look at the shot from the boundary he had in the 1st quarter, his kick was just so straight from there, makes it hard to kick from that pocket, but a perfect example of how he kicks the ball and why when he marks in the 45 degree angle from goal that he nearly always pierces the middle of the posts.

Amazing how two blokes in Townser and Broad both went from being near certain delistees to becoming 2 important inclusions in the side when they were brought in.

Townser in front of goal is very un Richmond like.

May he long continue his rich vein of form in front of the sticks.

Beautiful technique.. doesn’t try and kick the skin off it just guides it through. I used to think it was just a fluke all these goals he was notching up... but the longer it rolls on the more I’m convinced he is just a natural goal kicker. Absolute revelation.

craig said:
Amazing how two blokes in Townser and Broad both went from being near certain delistees to becoming 2 important inclusions in the side when they were brought in.

You could count Butler in that group too, he was almost on the footballer scrapheap

If you consider his shots on goals (20 goals, 4? points and any out of bounds - I think there was one of those), as a % of his total of 38 kicks. It leads you to a very disturbing picture.
This boy is the reincarnation of Kevin Bartlett and should be nicknamed Hungry. The blighter doesn't pass. Talk about Mr. Selfish.

And may I say as an RFC supporter - thank goodness for that.

BT Tiger said:
You could count Butler in that group too, he was almost on the footballer scrapheap

I wouldnt really put Butler in this group, Butler was injured for nearly 2 years and never really got on the park

On townsend though,I love the tough / Hardness he brings to the team - It has to play on your mind playing in defence that when you have the ball and your hot near townsend
Its gonna hurt

turk-d-tiger said:
I wouldnt really put Butler in this group, Butler was injured for nearly 2 years and never really got on the park

On townsend though,I love the tough / Hardness he brings to the team - It has to play on your mind playing in defence that when you have the ball and your hot near townsend
Its gonna hurt
Goals aside it's the protection he provides Riewoldt. Nearly every time an opposition player goes near Jack, Townsend is not far behind.

And I love his constant niggle at the opposition defenders. Other supporters will start to really hate him.

craig said:

Perhaps it's more in the views of the fans that these players are deemed on or near the scrap heap. We tend to pump them up, the hype starts from the minute they are drafted and if their not bona fide superstars dominating games within two or three years, we start calling for them to be replaced.
There's only a handful of the very elite kids that take the game on from their first year or two, the rest easily take three or four years to grow and develop into good players capable of providing solid support to the best players.
Reckon us fans are way to impatient with the kids.

The Mole said:
And I love his constant niggle at the opposition defenders. Other supporters will start to really hate him.

Yeah he really put Jones off his game.