Is it Just me..... | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Is it Just me.....

HK Tiger

Tiger Tough
Nov 2, 2003
Hey is everyone else tired of the shambles we are looking at today and for the last 5 weeks? I am. I am still lost why if as reported we have many duds in our squad why we did not keep the experienced Nathan Brown, Joel Bowden, Mark Coughlan - could they be worse than Jake King, Jordan Mc Mahon, Tom Hislop, Adam Thompson etc! Why did we not keep experience for 1 more year and clear out the misfits.
We are being smashed each week and then wonder why topline players will want to transfer to the Geelongs, West Sydney and Gold Coasts. Who wants this?
We have too many players with no heart or fight, we also have players who do not have to earn a place in the team because we have no depth. Hence bad attitude. Its shameful.

contracts dictated who stayed. Happy for Cogs, Bowden and Brown to go - they were all finished.

McMuffin would be gone if not for his massive contract.

You point is we have way too many hacks but they will be moved on the the earliest possible time.

The bad attitude is deflation of the players confidence knowing each time they run out they are likely to get smashed. Hard to get excited about your job when there is no hope.

HK Tiger said:
Hey is everyone else tired of the shambles we are looking at today and for the last 5 weeks? I am. I am still lost why if as reported we have many duds in our squad why we did not keep the experienced Nathan Brown, Joel Bowden, Mark Coughlan - could they be worse than Jake King, Jordan Mc Mahon, Tom Hislop, Adam Thompson etc! Why did we not keep experience for 1 more year

I used to argue this but have changed my tune. Better to take our medicine and build a new culture.

HK Tiger said:
Hey is everyone else tired of the shambles we are looking at today and for the last 5 weeks? I am. I am still lost why if as reported we have many duds in our squad why we did not keep the experienced Nathan Brown, Joel Bowden, Mark Coughlan - could they be worse than Jake King, Jordan Mc Mahon, Tom Hislop, Adam Thompson etc! Why did we not keep experience for 1 more year and clear out the misfits.
We are being smashed each week and then wonder why topline players will want to transfer to the Geelongs, West Sydney and Gold Coasts. Who wants this?
We have too many players with no heart or fight, we also have players who do not have to earn a place in the team because we have no depth. Hence bad attitude. Its shameful.

:rofl

Should have kept Sarge, Raines, JON, Patterson as well!

And people wonder why we have been hopeless for the past 30 years!

oh why didnt we keep santa claus, thats the team where got and dont worry about the ones not there any more,
bowden was gone
brown was shot
coughlan, he is too slow for todays game
and for the rest, i cant help that we cant pick a gem after pick 5

I understand the comments and thanks to the one who said its just me! Why did we not pay out the contract of McMahon, he has added nothing this year and our cap would have allowed it.
Western Tiger you miss my point - the guys we let go are fine such as *smile* and co - good luck to them. Today we have kept at least 3 players who I would have let go in front of Brown, Coughlan and Bowden. these guys are far better than King, McMahon and co.
Also how long are going to keep good players when we get smashed and for how many years more do we need to endure this.

HK Tiger there's about 78 threads on PRE over the past month devoted to various parts of your questions so forgive us if they are not all faithfully regurgitated.

HK Tiger said:
I understand the comments and thanks to the one who said its just me! Why did we not pay out the contract of McMahon, he has added nothing this year and our cap would have allowed it.
Western Tiger you miss my point - the guys we let go are fine such as schulz and co - good luck to them. Today we have kept at least 3 players who I would have let go in front of Brown, Coughlan and Bowden. these guys are far better than King, McMahon and co.
Also how long are going to keep good players when we get smashed and for how many years more do we need to endure this.

Mate, I share your pain, and agree we might have been better off keeping Bowden for another year - he was willing and god knows we could do with some experience, even if he's not the fastest beast going around. Especially in light of Richo signing off.

If this bottoming out approach works, I'll be as happy as the next (RFC) bloke, but I question the strategy at this particular time in AFL history. I'll have many an opposition to what I'm saying, but I would rather have seen RFC remain somewhat competitive over this and the next two years, giving what decent young players we have a competitive environment - well more competitive than we are now and likely to be at least.

Then a serious bottoming out could occur thereafter, when the draft picks are going to be worth something serious to us that far down the ladder.

The reason I say this, is the margin for error for getting everything right over the next three years is just too fine for us to avoid a prolonged period of pain, perhaps 5-7 years in the bottom 4 is what we may be looking at.

I'm not pessimistic by nature, often accused of being a brightsider, but the dominos are looking like they are all falling in the wrong direction. Wallace rolled the dice in 2005 and came up stumped IMO. 2006 was not much better. They were the years, as the once Mighty Claw was saying, we needed to be bottoming out - while we still had senior players capable of holding some structural things together. Though I'm just not sure that finances allowed for such an event.

If Hardwick can pull this off, he and his cohorts will be modern day coaching and admin marvels - and all the more praise too/for them if it happens. Statues will be cast and displayed signifying pure genius. If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is!

WesternTiger said:
:rofl

Should have kept Sarge, Raines, JON, Patterson as well!

And people wonder why we have been hopeless for the past 30 years!
Interestingly 3 of those are playing in the ones elsewhere,many others in the last ten years that didn't fit the mould(whatever that is?)at Tigerland ;Ottens,Rodan,Fiora....................................Podsially?????

We may be crap at the moment H.K. because there's a heap of youngsters all trying to reach AFL standard in a hurry.
One small thing I have noticed so far this year is that no matter how badly we are playing the side doesn't drop it's head and allow itself to get steamrolled. The kids do their best to fight the games out till the final siren, unlike in recent years when the heads would go down and another ten goals would get rammed through in a hurry.
Also there seems to be longer periods each game where we do things reasonably well, small steps and plenty of pain this year, there's no other choice.

I know we can all debate what could have happened - Pharace I agree with you. I have just renewed membership for my 10+ years even though I probably wont get to a game this season. Kills me to watch when its on TV here.
I agree with the Marvels comment if Hardwick and Co can really lift us away from the bottom. Dont be surprised if all these good kids we are recruiting have early retirements from injuries since they are being smashed each week while their young. then we go through the roundabout again??

HK, we are a much better TEAM now than we have been over the last I do't know how long. THese guys actually want to play for the Tigers, they are showing huge spirit, and actually following a plan. Rather than kick it to Richo, Kick it to Richo ...... which everyone knew was never going to work in todays football.

I for one don't think a miracle is needed we actually have people who know what they are doing, are up beat professional and tell it how it is.

Bring on the future.............. it will be Tiger terrific.

yes bottoming out is the worst time to do so , however thanks to spud and wallet for their fantastic recruiting and list managing we dont have a choice. all we can do is hope and prey that they get it right come draft day.

Not a good time but not the worst. We could have started at the next draft where its really compromised.