Interchange Rotations & Other Statistics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Interchange Rotations & Other Statistics

tigertough

Tiger Rookie
Dec 18, 2002
I think that there are only 7 statistical measures that we need to concentrate on this season:

1. Interchange rotations. We are not ranking high on this measure. If the young players cannot keep the pace for 4 quarters we need to increase our number of rotations to 130+. This will help the Tiger cubs to keep up their ferocity for all 4 quarters.
2. Tackles including spoils and shepherds. ::)
3. Contested possessions. Doh!
4. Turnovers. :'(
5. Bounces. If our players can run harder and further with the ball, these stats will improve.
6. Long kick to short kick ratio of 1:1. Short kicks of less than 30 metres will need to be outlawed, especially off half back. Due to our lack of skill, players need to learn to kick to the longer of 2 option. If it is turned over at least it is further from our defence and will give us more chance to defend the turnover.
7. Handball to kick ratio of 1:1. This will foster a more direct style of play.

Get the above stats to our advantage and magically inside 50's, scores and victory will follow. :clap

Reducing turnovers should be our number #1 priority. IMO it's been our biggest problem for a long time. Only way to do this is keep removing those with poor decision making/skills - White's, Hislop's, Tuck's, etc and keep blooding kids.

tigertough said:
I think that there are only 7 statistical measures that we need to concentrate on this season:

1. Interchange rotations. We are not ranking high on this measure. If the young players cannot keep the pace for 4 quarters we need to increase our number of rotations to 130+. This will help the Tiger cubs to keep up their ferocity for all 4 quarters.
2. Tackles including spoils and shepherds. ::)
3. Contested possessions. Doh!
4. Turnovers. :'(
5. Bounces. If our players can run harder and further with the ball, these stats will improve.
6. Long kick to short kick ratio of 1:1. Short kicks of less than 30 metres will need to be outlawed, especially off half back. Due to our lack of skill, players need to learn to kick to the longer of 2 option. If it is turned over at least it is further from our defence and will give us more chance to defend the turnover.
7. Handball to kick ratio of 1:1. This will foster a more direct style of play.

Get the above stats to our advantage and magically inside 50's, scores and victory will follow. :clap

I rewatched the game last night and it is obvious we are kicking longer more often.

I actually thought we were Ok for large parts, the work off half back with Lids Cotchin and Martin dropping back there and being an obvious target through the middle was really good at times.

Actually turnovers killed us but apart from Dea's 3 or 4 mistakes which led to goals it was the same ole, same ole taht cost us. Tuck, Hislop, Simmonds. Rance didn't turn it over much but every bloke he went on kicked goals. Sylvia virtually had no opponent kicking his goals in the last.

Change in personnel should see a change in the stats.

The stat you won't see Champion data present but I can assure you we would be a clear last in, is the number of times players present an option.
The amount of times a Tigers player looks up the ground & see absolutely nothing on offer, no movement, no leads & no players forming to get weight of numbers is mind boggling.

Disco Stu said:
The stat you won't see Champion data present but I can assure you we would be a clear last in, is the number of times players present an option.
The amount of times a Tigers player looks up the ground & see absolutely nothing on offer, no movement, no leads & no players forming to get weight of numbers is mind boggling.

Noticed that Disco, moreso in rounds 1 and two though.

I went to the Bulldogs Hawks game a couple of weeks back, the number of times that there was no one in the Dogs forward line was, well, it happened more often than I thought it should, and when the Dogs got possesion in their defensive half they had no forward option to go to and had to wait or take a really risky option. Their fitness must be phenomenal. To not even have Big Bad in the forward line as an option was odd, he ran more than I thought he would.

I digress.

Stats to look out for this season

Doing what the coach has asked of the players (is the only stat that matters?) run / chase / tackle etc.

gee, 7 statistical measures? lets do baby steps i think... one at a time. lets start with no. 4

Disco Stu said:

Good point. Lack of teamwork & cohesion.

Young playing list that havent worked out "The Gameplan" yet.

Hopefully it will click soon.

Second half of the season should see improvement.

I dont think changing the gameplan to long kicks because our players can't hit targets will happen. Dimma is trying to implement a gameplan which will involve a higher skill level than what we currently have. SO let those turn over merchants do their trade as they won't be there long term, the key thing is to get the players that will be there looking for the correct option for the future.