How much and how fast can a player improve? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

How much and how fast can a player improve?

67 special

Tiger Matchwinner
May 12, 2009
Given that we are only really focusing on developing our young players this year and next and can't really expect to be winning games yet...I am interested to hear of examples of players who have shown significant improvement in a short space of time and whether specifics can be identified for the improvement...ie., ability to read the play; improved defensive skills; just improved strength all round; ability to keep upright ina contest...that sort of stuff. Eg., I don't get to see that many games, but i recall being really impressed with how much Nathan Foley came on in his second season (I think)...Ability to deal with a hard tag and injuries have impeded his development a bit since.....but other examples?

67 special said:
Given that we are only really focusing on developing our young players this year and next and can't really expect to be winning games yet...I am interested to hear of examples of players who have shown significant improvement in a short space of time and whether specifics can be identified for the improvement...ie., ability to read the play; improved defensive skills; just improved strength all round; ability to keep upright ina contest...that sort of stuff. Eg., I don't get to see that many games, but i recall being really impressed with how much Nathan Foley came on in his second season (I think)...Ability to deal with a hard tag and injuries have impeded his development a bit since.....but other examples?

67 - I think Nathan was just given more game time, per minutes on ground he was returning AFL top ten results in clearances first possessions and high up in disposals in his first season,

He did improve the use of his pace as an outside mid though. I had kept a close eye on him and was expecting the sort of form he showed.

There are very few that surprise you and go from ordinary to very good. Really cant think of anyone at Richmond.

That's a bit harsh -- there've been plenty of surprise packets at Richmond.

I can think off the top of my head:

- Moore
- Andy Kellaway
- A Collins
- Morton
- A Raines
- Connors

Foley didn't improve much. He was outstanding at Coburg - 40 to 50 possessions per game.

After 10 or so AFL games he had the confidence that he belonged, and he got more game time.

tonemaster said:
That's a bit harsh -- there've been plenty of surprise packets at Richmond.

I can think off the top of my head:

- Moore
- Andy Kellaway
- A Collins
- Morton
- A Raines
- Connors

Moore - always showed ability - lacks the mental toughness to go with it - should actually be better.

Andy Kellaway pantsed Gary Lyon in game 1.

Collins was tearing it up for Coburg but lack of size prevented him from playing - still not playing to potential.

Morton has pretty much played the same for 6 seasons - acknowledged as talented but difficult at West Coast.

Raines - I thought we were talking improvements - not the other way around.

Connors - playing like that at Coburg for yonks - still inconsistent and still yet to play to potential.

ICE said:
Foley didn't improve much. He was outstanding at Coburg - 40 to 50 possessions per game.

After 10 or so AFL games he had the confidence that he belonged, and he got more game time.

It will be interesting to see if the newbies given a game or two in the seniors can go back to Coburg and begin to consistently win positional contests using the experiences garnered in the firsts. Edwards is a good example of this - after showing form in the magoos, he was promoted for periods of several games and then dropped - where he was completley dominant after his stints in the seniors. It was soon apparent that he was a better than VFL standard player (this is not to suggest he has made the grade as an AFL player).