How is force measured? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

How is force measured?

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Just saw the news and a couple of incidents that were looked at, one a knee and one a head butt, weren't deemed to have enough force to take further action. What I'd like to know from the MRP is how they measured the force of Dan's headbutt? From the footage it barely seemed to connect.

rosy23 said:
Just saw the news and a couple of incidents that were looked at, one a knee and one a head butt, weren't deemed to have enough force to take further action. What I'd like to know from the MRP is how they measured the force of Dan's headbutt? From the footage it barely seemed to connect.
I believe "actual" force can be measured, however in regard to the MRP I believe they use a "guessometer".

willo said:
I believe "actual" force can be measured, however in regard to the MRP I believe they use a "guessometer".

I think more appropriateky its a ^#%&-ometer. Unfortunately I can't say it on a family website. I am still peeved that we went into the Essendon game without Jackson but them with Hille, especially considering Hille starred (which frankly just rubbed salt into the wound).

Force is measured in Newtons. In the AFL's case it must be Matthew Newton - behaviour makes no sense.

Force is an influence that causes a mass body to accelerate or change its velocity. The SI unit used to measure force is the newton (symbol N), which is equivalent to kg·m·s-2

Force is calculated with the formula below :

F = m * a

where

F is the force, measured in newtons
m is the mass, measured in kilograms
a is the acceleration, measured in metre per second squared

Ergo, with a given acceleration, the larger the mass, the larger the force.

Thanks Phantom. How does that apply to the MRP's decisions?

Jackson's suspension was a disgrace. The Roos player who dropped his knee onto his opponents head should have got something, weak act.
At least Hall got off, which I'm glad about.

YodaForceLift1.jpg

rosy23 said:
Thanks Phantom. How does that apply to the MRP's decisions?

The Jackson decision had little to do with force, and more to do with acceptable conduct.

As I said in an earlier thread, if Jackson was to get 3 weeks for unacceptable conduct, he should have used greater force.
Especially on Campbell Brown.

Force, power and other intimidating acts are commensurate with the amount of $$$$$$ one's club has

Phantom said:
The Jackson decision had little to do with force, and more to do with acceptable conduct.

As I said in an earlier thread, if Jackson was to get 3 weeks for unacceptable conduct, he should have used greater force.
Especially on Campbell Brown.

Do you think a knee to the head is acceptable conduct?
Do you think the MRP thinks a knee to the head is acceptable conduct?

rosy23 said:

Rosy,

It makes me spew that if your on the bottom of the ladder and your not a highly marketable player, you will always get the rough end of the stick.

"Insufficient force" is like a blank cheque - allows the MRP to contrive the result they want, not unlike "bringing the game into disrepute". I'm glad Hall got off for the game's sake - don't want to see players suspended for wrestling - but the MRP/AFL are clearly making it up as they go along.

F = M A

where
F = Force
M = Media
A = Attention

Upon reflection Jackson should have tried to get his charge changed to "misconduct" which just carries a fine.

se7en said:
thought they just spin a wheel

Yep maybe they should combine tribunal decisions with the pluck a duck segment and add some interest to the whole event.

One of the great science jokes of all time.

Q/ How much force does it take to stop a plane?

A/ Half a Newton.