Hawk players are cheating on tackles | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Hawk players are cheating on tackles

Sep 2, 2022
How dumb are umpires to be sucked into this faking?
It seems all you need to do is pretend your head hits the ground and then grab it as if in pain.
FFS, the umpires need to be smarter!

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Between that and throwing the arm ducking for a high. Afl needs to revisit it's previous stance of interpreting these as assumed prior opportunity or more.

Reactions: 1 users
Between that and throwing the arm ducking for a high. Afl needs to revisit it's previous stance of interpreting these as assumed prior opportunity or more.
Yes, that rule applied for 2 weeks i think. Just like the rule that if you try to fend off the tackler that is prior- that rule seemed to disappear around the time Dusty got injured.

like @tigersnake pointed out to me Friday night,

hawks rise is being accelerated by the umpires decline.

they are training the whiplash tackle response,

but more subtle, is their disguised arm chop, where they prey on the umps complete lack of sophistication

their backs get away with murder, by just sort of not using their hands in the chop.

Mitchells identified it and training it.

The pages of the rulebook someone redacted this week were 'protected area' 'stand' 'block' and 'insufficient intent'

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
How dumb are umpires to be sucked into this faking?
It seems all you need to do is pretend your head hits the ground and then grab it as if in pain.
FFS, the umpires need to be smarter!
In the heat of the moment they're as jumpy as the AFL about concussion. Tough gig at real time.
Players will always try to push the rules, but the AFL needs to start reprimanding or fining players/clubs who exaggerate these actions post game where it's an obvious case. It's got to be a cultural change instigated from the top.

Yeah my suspicions were confirmed by the 2 Hawthorn finals, they are cheating, gaming the system whatever you want to call it, on a number of levels. Ginnivan/ Watson double duckathon in the fwd line, and to double down (again), these 2 small players are their main forwards, the talls are there to support the smalls.

The other one is the very subtly arm drag, its not quite a chop, or a very light last minute arm drag. They kind of make like they are attempting a punch, then lightly drag their opponent's arm as they are withdrawing their arm from the punching motion. Their defenders do it so often, and get away with it most of the time, I'm convinced its a technique they coach.

Along with the staged head snap, most clubs are doing these things to various degrees, but the difference with the Hawks is the regularity, and in the case of the arm drag, the consistency of technique. And also the fact they have 2 ducking small forwards when most sides have 1, if any.

As I posted elsewhere, Lyon made the point that everyside will have to get a good ducker or they will be at a strategic disadvantage. At the time I thought get stuffed, overstatement, but on reflection, regardless of right or wrong, I think he's right.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Yeah my suspicions were confirmed by the 2 Hawthorn finals, they are cheating, gaming the system whatever you want to call it, on a number of levels. Ginnivan/ Watson double duckathon in the fwd line, and to double down (again), these 2 small players are their main forwards, the talls are there to support the smalls.

The other one is the very subtly arm drag, its not quite a chop, or a very light last minute arm drag. They kind of make like they are attempting a punch, then lightly drag their opponent's arm as they are withdrawing their arm from the punching motion. Their defenders do it so often, and get away with it most of the time, I'm convinced its a technique they coach.

Along with the staged head snap, most clubs are doing these things to various degrees, but the difference with the Hawks is the regularity, and in the case of the arm drag, the consistency of technique. And also the fact they have 2 ducking small forwards when most sides have 1, if any.

As I posted elsewhere, Lyon made the point that everyside will have to get a good ducker or they will be at a strategic disadvantage. At the time I thought get stuffed, overstatement, but on reflection, regardless of right or wrong, I think he's right.

Only criticism I have with your post is that they have 2 ducking cheating small forwards when they have 3. Don't forget about Dylan Moore.

Reactions: 4 users

I think we should make Toby Nankervis our designated ducker.

he can break blokes jaws and stove in cheek bones, whilst not getting free kicks.

what sort of game has the TABcorp CEO left us?

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
There should be suspensions for simulation and if they're serious about protecting the head, for ducking as well. Imagine the guilt and trauma some poor bloke legitimately going for the ball or a tackle is going to feel when Nick Watson headbutts himself into a wheelchair.

In the heat of the moment they're as jumpy as the AFL about concussion. Tough gig at real time.
Players will always try to push the rules, but the AFL needs to start reprimanding or fining players/clubs who exaggerate these actions post game where it's an obvious case. It's got to be a cultural change instigated from the top.
Yes. Some of the Watson/ Ginnivan ones, you watch them in real time and think there is no way you cannot pay that, even though you know from experience that it is sought out/ staged/ anticipated/ accentuated, or all of the above.

Cant remember if I posted it or said to someone, there was a moment in the game last weekend, traffic at Hawks FF, Watson gets the ball, goes low, the Port defender, who was ready, willing and able to do whatever he could to stop him, just didn't know what to do, you could see his brain going 'WTF do I do here without giving away a free?'. I thought to myself, stuffed if I know.

• Sad
Yes. Some of the Watson/ Ginnivan ones, you watch them in real time and think there is no way you cannot pay that, even though you know from experience that it is sought out/ staged/ anticipated/ accentuated, or all of the above.

Cant remember if I posted it or said to someone, there was a moment in the game last weekend, traffic at Hawks FF, Watson gets the ball, goes low, the Port defender, who was ready, willing and able to do whatever he could to stop him, just didn't know what to do, you could see his brain going 'WTF do I do here without giving away a free?'. I thought to myself, stuffed if I know.
Players will always be ahead of the rules.
It's appears easy from the comfort of your lounge chair or up in the stands to say the player ducked but if you've ever watched an AFL game from the front row at ground level you realise just how bloody hard it is for the umpires. The chaos & speed is crazy.
Yep this has to come from the top. If they're serious about protecting the head they've got to punish the behaviour of the instagators too.

Reactions: 1 user