Hall of Fame for Carey? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Hall of Fame for Carey?

Mac

Tiger Champion
Sep 16, 2003
couldnt see another topic on this, so I hope Im not doubling up.

Just something a bit differnt to think about for a Monday morning after another sound beating by the cats.

This is more of a Damien Barret bash than anything. Small minded and pathetic yes, but this is Barret Im talking about

The bloke tries to target Cousins for handing out sleeping pills condemning him for being a bad influence on the rest of the team, then on Sunday morning jumps into the Carey - Hall of Fame debate saying of course he should be admitted because he was a great player and what happens off field should be kept separate from his great on field career (not that doing his team mates wife had a disruptive effect on the playing group at all) who does Dumbien barrack for again?

I wonder if he will have the same attitude to Ben Cousins 5 years after he retires. Will he be willing to say Ben deserves a hall of fame spot due to his brownlow, premiership and being one of the best players in one of the best midfields of his time, or will Barret say his off filed antics put a cross through his name?

I think that Carey deserves to get in now but I also agree that Barrett is a hypocrite.

I am not one for Womans Day type social checklists requirements for footballers and the hall of fame. Carey was the greatest ever, to not have him in the hall of fame would make a mockery of it.

Tigers of Old said:
Carey clearly deserves to be inducted.
Cousins too might find himself there one day.
Both were absolute champions in their heyday pre controversy.
Agree

Tigers of Old said:
Carey clearly deserves to be inducted.
Cousins too might find himself there one day.
Both were absolute champions in their heyday pre controversy.

I'm not sure about Cuz. If he is inducted, it'll be a long way into the future. I think there will always be debate on whether his drug use enhanced his performance. As for Carey, I think he's a pig of a bloke but one with extraordinary football talent and definitely deserves to be there.

I think the key here is Football Hall of Fame. Is not a Citizen of the Year award or anything else but a FOOTBALL award. Carey deserves entry under ANY criteria you could place on a Football Hall of Fame award.

It's not best and fairest either...

Simple fact is, Carey was one of the best players ever to play the game, and his exclusion would make the Hall of Fame a complete farce.

Tiger Rob said:
I think the key here is Football Hall of Fame. Is not a Citizen of the Year award or anything else but a FOOTBALL award. Carey deserves entry under ANY criteria you could place on a Football Hall of Fame award.

Agree totally. Not that Carey's private past is hard to make judgement on anyway, but who is the AFL to make judgement on social acceptance anyway. Stick to what they know, and that's their contribution to the game of footy.

agree with Carey making the Hall. but out of interest is there a line based on criminal activity? what if a champion committed murder, became a terrorist?

cmontiges said:
agree with Carey making the Hall. but out of interest is there a line based on criminal activity? what if a champion committed murder, became a terrorist?

Well Ned Kelly made his own hall of fame. Interesting question though, what if a hall of famer then goes on to commit a horrendous crime, does he get taken out of the hall of fame again?

It is intersting sometimes to see people's perspectives on players.

I certainly acknowledge the Carye was an extremely good footballer, any highlights package demonstrates that. But I only ever saw him play twice, and both times he got towelled up by Jakovich.

At 46 years of age there have been some absolutely awesome footballers that I have seen play the game. I don't know that I can classify any of them as being the best of all the others. Its a very subjective argument that is impossible to conclude. Football played over that period of time has changed immensely. An era of booming drop kicks and one on one game play to an era of zones, flooding and handball.

Carey, as much as I dislike the man, deserves a gig among the legends. Greatest ever? Would Bradman have been as good playing constant Tests, ODI and 20/20? It is all relative.