Hall hoping for fit Richmond | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Hall hoping for fit Richmond

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Hall hoping for fit Richmond

Ray Hall’s pre-season has been far from ideal - an injured quadricep has prevented him from playing a match to date - but the man who was commendably adaptable for the Tigers in 2002 is hoping a fit and firing Richmond list will ensure a good season in 2003.

With key big men Matthew Richardson, Greg Stafford and Brad Ottens injured for varying stints throughout last season, Richmond seldom got its tall quartet on the field at the same time.

And in what was Hall’s fourth year, he and Ottens - both 21 and absent for just two matches - were required to fill the demanding big man roles in the ruck and at either end of the field.

Understandably, it took its toll.

“We (he and Ottens) both had heavy workloads pre-season in the Wizard Cup last year and in the first few games,” Hall told afl.com.au

“I think being young, 21, 22, both of us I think got a bit sore, a bit fatigued in the body and it just sort of carried on in the rest of the year. I was just sort of battling against that.”

“There were a lot of games I’d go out and I’d already be pretty sore and fatigued and just try to get past that early in the game and I guess for me, running for me is probably my main strengths, so I couldn’t really use that to its full potential.”

But rather than being frustrated by his inability, albeit by necessity, to settle into a regular position, Hall said his constant shifting around was a valuable learning experience.

“I guess it kept it interesting. Every week you get a role and you know what you’ve got to do. Week to week I’d be told what role what I was going to have.”

“It was a good way to learn how to play different positions. I think it helped my game overall.”

“I think it was a pretty good learning experience … I’m used to it now.”

After an impressive finals series in 2001 - Hall was one of the Tigers’ best in their semi-final win over Carlton - much was expected of him last year. And under the circumstances, Hall believes he did improve in his fourth year.

“I probably had higher expectations for 2002 after the last game I expected to play a key role and come in and play well.”

And with the optimism that comes with a new year, Hall hopes he can find his ideal place in the side and make further progress in 2003.

“I guess you get a bit of confidence going into the year and thinking we’re going to have Brad Ottens, Greg Stafford, Matty Richardson and Ben Holland won’t be too far away from the start of the season,” he said.

“I guess it means I’ll maybe be able to find a niche somewhere that I can play regularly week in week out, but still, I guess at my age 22, you’re still learning the game and they’ll be times when I’ll be more suited to playing on particular players in the opposition teams.”

With all the talent the Tigers boast up forward, Hall believes he is best suited to the role of an attacking defender.

“I think I’m probably suited to the back-line and playing on a key forward in the opposition team, or more of a taller leading-type player. I can play good footy back there and then run off.”

“Considering the strength we’ve got up forward with Brad and Greg and Matty Richardson, that’s probably the role I’m going to have this year.”

He would have liked to have had a full pre-season, but Hall is confident he will play against Carlton in a practice match this weekend, and begin his season campaign.

“Ideally I would have already played three games this year. In that sense I go into the game not knowing where my weaknesses are, I guess.”

“Obviously there are parts of your game you want to get right before the season starts. So I’m going in there with only two or three weeks to work on the problems that I have in my game. In that sense I’d rather have probably five games before round one, just to get everything right.”