Gold Coast Trading Currency...do we have any? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Gold Coast Trading Currency...do we have any?

tigerjoe12

Tiger Superstar
Aug 24, 2006
So obviously to go with their list of young stars GC are going to have to pick up at least a couple of seasoned players & given the number of picks they have, & the compensation system put in place by the AFL there's a chance we could get a cpl of draft picks for players we potentially may have simply been delisting at the end of the year.

Two that come to mind are Tuck & Graham.

Tuck still consistently proves that he can win the hard ball, is a big body & despite his lack of disposal skills/decision making I think GC would still be interested in having him on their list for their first two years. Simply to have him as part of a midfield rotation to protect some of their younger players.

& while Graham is definitely no star he would be a decent 2nd starting ruckman. Ruck is probably the hardest position to throw an 18 yr old in straight away. I initially would have thought we'd keep him next season as with no Simmonds we only have TV & Browne but even with a fit Graham he's still not in the team this week. Could be signs of things to come.

I think GC would at least consider these two. & if so we'd likely get at least a late draft pick as compensation

tigerjoe12 said:
.........while Graham is definitely no star he would be a decent 2nd starting ruckman. Ruck is probably the hardest position to throw an 18 yr old in straight away. I initially would have thought we'd keep him next season as with no Simmonds we only have TV & Browne but even with a fit Graham he's still not in the team this week. Could be signs of things to come.

Not sure about Gus joe. If he can't get a game as decent 2nd starting ruckman for us why would he at other clubs? I hope he develops this year and becomes a valuable ruck option for us considering Simmo isn't likely to be around next season.

David Parkin said on Fox League Teams McMahon was seen having a long talk to Scott Clayton (GC17 recruiting manager) at the VFL last week.

Maybe the word that's out about him having signed with GC17 and that's why he's not getting a game at Coburg has some merit.

premiers2010 said:
.... McMahon was seen having a long talk to Scott Clayton (GC17 recruiting manager) at the VFL last week....

Were they both at the Dogs at the same time?

The more that players sign to their own clubs, the more currency our players will have to GC

premiers2010 said:
David Parkin said on Fox League Teams McMahon was seen having a long talk to Scott Clayton (GC17 recruiting manager) at the VFL last week.

Maybe the word that's out about him having signed with GC17 and that's why he's not getting a game at Coburg has some merit.

McMahon is a proven match winner, we should receive two 1st round picks as compensation for losing our star player...

rosy23 said:
Not sure about Gus joe. If he can't get a game as decent 2nd starting ruckman for us why would he at other clubs? I hope he develops this year and becomes a valuable ruck option for us considering Simmo isn't likely to be around next season.

he's not a star by any stretch but the fact is gc are going to have to acquire two seasoned rucks in some way. There's noway they'll enter the season with only one mature ruck. They'll likely draft a cpl of young rucks, use an early-ish pick for a decent mature ruck from another club, then use a late pick on a lesser ruckman as a backup.

Ruck is one position where age & depth is required. look at St kilda's drafting of pattison last yr. Enter Graham. Not saying he has decent currency. Simply stating we cld get potentially get compensated for a player we were simply going to delist anyway

premiers2010 said:

I reckon he will go there myself. Can't see there being a lot of mature players available to GC to sign uncontracted, but McMahon is one and he will add some experience if little else.

The way Gus is travelling at the moment we'd be lucky if we didn't have to compensate G.C. for taking him.
He's come off our rookie list and currently can't crack a senior game while Simmo is out injured, we might score a replacement rookie pick as compo for him.
Bloody disappointed the big Gus camel hasn't progressed at all after last year, looking like another five years wasted on a player.........again.

rosy23 said:
Were they both at the Dogs at the same time?

Yep Rosy, Scott Clayton picked McMahon at number 10 in 2000.
He also picked Callan Ward at pick 19 with our traded second round pick in 2007.