Go when its your turn. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Go when its your turn.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I remember Beavis quite early on stated that one of his core principles was that players must go in when its their turn.

Watching the match against Port I think this aspect of our game really shone through. I don't think I saw anyone hesitate or sit back and watch. It was automatic for our boys to throw themselves in there.

It certainly stood out to me and a sure sign that the lads are responding to Beavis's coaching. That light at the end of the tunnel just got a little bit brighter.

Looked to me that a heap of the lads didn't bother to wait till it was their turn Baloo, they just went for it.
One of the pure joys of footy rarely seen at AFL level, the elite skills go to the backblocks and the simple crash and bash of desperately commited players takes over to force victory by inches.

Get that total physical commitment ingrained into the players and work like mad to get the skills polished up, then we might start to really take some strides forward.

The significant change for me is the players wanted the ball.

There were a lot of passengers in the early games that certainly appeared not so keen on getting a touch.

A sure sign that team confidence is on the rise.

Baloo said:
I remember Beavis quite early on stated that one of his core principles was that players must go in when its their turn.

Watching the match against Port I think this aspect of our game really shone through. I don't think I saw anyone hesitate or sit back and watch. It was automatic for our boys to throw themselves in there.

It certainly stood out to me and a sure sign that the lads are responding to Beavis's coaching. That light at the end of the tunnel just got a little bit brighter.

It will be interesting to how much the conditions played a part in that and it we have the same commitment and intensity when we play the Saints in the sterile conditions at the dump this week.  I hope last weeks performance gives the team the confidence and belief to win.

TigerMasochist said:
Looked to me that a heap of the lads didn't bother to wait till it was their turn Baloo, they just went for it.
One of the pure joys of footy rarely seen at AFL level, the elite skills go to the backblocks and the simple crash and bash of desperately commited players takes over to force victory by inches.

Get that total physical commitment ingrained into the players and work like mad to get the skills polished up, then we might start to really take some strides forward.

That reminds me of one of the all time great movie speeches from Any Given Sunday delivered by Al PAcino, here's part of it:

"You know when you get old in life
things get taken from you.
That's, that's part of life.
But,
you only learn that when you start losing stuff.
You find out that life is just a game of inches.
So is football.
Because in either game
life or football
the margin for error is so small.
I mean
one half step too late or to early
you don't quite make it.
One half second too slow or too fast
and you don't quite catch it.
The inches we need are everywhere around us.
They are in ever break of the game
every minute, every second.

On this team, we fight for that inch
On this team, we tear ourselves, and everyone around us
to pieces for that inch.
We CLAW with our finger nails for that inch.
Cause we know
when we add up all those inches
that's going to make the *smile* difference
between WINNING and LOSING
between LIVING and DYING.

I'll tell you this
in any fight
it is the guy who is willing to die
who is going to win that inch.
And I know
if I am going to have any life anymore
it is because, I am still willing to fight, and die for that inch
because that is what LIVING is.
The six inches in front of your face.

Now I can't make you do it.
You gotta look at the guy next to you.
Look into his eyes.
Now I think you are going to see a guy who will go that inch with you.
You are going to see a guy
who will sacrifice himself for this team
because he knows when it comes down to it,
you are gonna do the same thing for him.

That's a team, gentlemen
and either we heal now, as a team,
or we will die as individuals.
That's football guys.
That's all it is.
Now, whattaya gonna do?"

rosy23 said:
It will be interesting to how much the conditions played a part in that and it we have the same commitment and intensity when we play the Saints in the sterile conditions at the dump this week. I hope last weeks performance gives the team the confidence and belief to win.
Same here.
Even if we are not to beat St Kilda - let's hope the same endeavour is there and we make it a true contest.

Tenacious said:
Same here.
Even if we are not to beat St Kilda - let's hope the same endeavour is there and we make it a true contest.

If by chance they lose :), i hope they go down fighting, footy wise