Game Plan (Merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Game Plan (Merged)

bowee

Tiger Rookie
Sep 6, 2007
I would've thought pressure and tackling would have been the cornerstone of any new game plan, obviously not.
I never thought I'd say this, but have a look at Fremantle and how they're putting pressure on their opponents.

Tackling is not a game plan, it should be natural instinct if you see a player with the ball to attack..

B2

graystar1 said:
In previous threads I have asked this question a million times.

as Beavis has said, he is building from the backline. The zone defense is clear from kick outs - we are celarly focussing on gettng this right before moving to the next stage. Aside from that, some obvious ones are no chip kicks to a contest. no more than 3 handballs in traffic before a kick.

I noticed a distinct weakness yesterday in situations where we had scored a point. Melbourne constantly kicked to a man running off the point of the square. The next kick was to a leading wingman and from there a rapid pass into the 50 arc. I didn't count, but that set up a lot of scores for them and we never even touched the ball.

graystar1 said:
In previous threads I have asked this question a million times.

For Gods sake why is it a big issue with the game plan..

A game plan is helped by:

Players hitting another player on the chest 40 meters away.
Players not dropping marks.
Players not making bad decisions.
Players winning the one on one contest.
Players not falling over so easy.
Players able to kick set shots from 30 meters.

These are simple things players must do first...
So give that word Game Plan the arse untill the above is successful.

B2

B1 and B2 said:

B2

well said, all of the above mentioned has to be expected when Hardwick is trying to develope kids.

The game plan is to learn the gameplan and to find out who can play a role in this gameplan.

Once that has been achieived, the game plan will be to introduce the rest of the gameplan and to learn this refined gameplan.

Once that has been achieved, the game plan will be to implement the gameplan every week.

That's the game plan. Could take years.

Is that in the game plan?

bowee said:
I would've thought pressure and tackling would have been the cornerstone of any new game plan, obviously not.
I never thought I'd say this, but have a look at Fremantle and how they're putting pressure on their opponents.

I think our pressure has gone up from last year but the tackling does need improvement, need some bigger bodies in there but the tackling pressure will come with experience. Freo certaintly were weak in these areas for years and they've turned it on this year, well done to them.

B1 and B2 said:

B2

wasnt this what they were primarily working on in pre season. kicking marking handballing tackling pressure.
seems they havent learnt much.
anyway how can an AFL player not be able to hit a target with a kick 15m away anyway. how did they make it to the afl if they cant achieve this. (yeah pressure situ etc etc, but still a kick is a kick, have to hit a target 151m away regardless)

TOT70 said:
The game plan is to learn the gameplan and to find out who can play a role in this gameplan.

Once that has been achieived, the game plan will be to introduce the rest of the gameplan and to learn this refined gameplan.

Once that has been achieved, the game plan will be to implement the gameplan every week.

That's the game plan. Could take years.

Is that in the game plan?

:hihi Nice Tottie.

keepa lids onit said:
wasnt this what they were primarily working on in pre season. kicking marking handballing tackling pressure.
seems they havent learnt much.
anyway how can an AFL player not be able to hit a target with a kick 15m away anyway. how did they make it to the afl if they cant achieve this. (yeah pressure situ etc etc, but still a kick is a kick, have to hit a target 151m away regardless)

Yes, but if a player cannot kick a footy after 5 years why keep trying.
Hardwick knows most cannot kick, mark, etc... But at the moment they are on the list and has know choice.
Hardwick will have a tough decision end of year because he knows he can only delist approx 14.. As he would love to delist 20+

B2

B1 and B2 said:

B2

I dont get it... we are at least 10 metres off our opponents most of the time. If the opposition can kick and keep hold of the ball, Its almost always a certain score, yet when we go forward we run into trouble and arent big enough to run through the trouble.. I dont understand it.

I get the fact of haveing a gameplan if we can back it up. clearly we are a small bodied side mainly, not too many of our guys have elite skills yet we persist with this gameplan thats supposed to apparently deliver success.

Im not sure if its just me, But if we are working on a gameplan now when we cant deliver it, surelys in maybe 3-4 years when we can the opposition will surely know what we are doing...

Im sure teams like hawthorn (when they rebuilt at exactly thesame time as we did when they got clarkson and we got wallace) didint get flogged week in wek out yet won a flag within 4 or 5 years. Not with just 1 plan.

It seems to me we play 1 good quarter of footy and everyone says wow, we will be good in 5 years.

Thats crap! we need accountability and maybe this year since we have been so pathetic it should about man on man, or minimal zoning to teach players accountability. Its not how many stats you get, Its about nullifying your opponent as well. Just beat your opponent, if we get that hapening at least we have some hope.

At this stage I dont see anythinmg positive, Playing for the future? We still have blokes like Simmonds, King and Hislop getting games.

I dont need to hear anymore spin. I ijust want to see some bloody competitive footy and as far as Im concerned our gameplan is crap!, Ive been to the carlton and melbourne games and we get opened up far too easily. We just arent ready for these technical gameplans...

Just give us some hope boys!!!! for christ sake!!

Crumpet_Avenger said:
I dont get it... we are at least 10 metres off our opponents most of the time. If the opposition can kick and keep hold of the ball, Its almost always a certain score, yet when we go forward we run into trouble and arent big enough to run through the trouble.. I dont understand it.

I get the fact of haveing a gameplan if we can back it up. clearly we are a small bodied side mainly, not too many of our guys have elite skills yet we persist with this gameplan thats supposed to apparently deliver success.

Im not sure if its just me, But if we are working on a gameplan now when we cant deliver it, surelys in maybe 3-4 years when we can the opposition will surely know what we are doing...

Im sure teams like hawthorn (when they rebuilt at exactly thesame time as we did when they got clarkson and we got wallace) didint get flogged week in wek out yet won a flag within 4 or 5 years. Not with just 1 plan.

It seems to me we play 1 good quarter of footy and everyone says wow, we will be good in 5 years.

Thats crap! we need accountability and maybe this year since we have been so pathetic it should about man on man, or minimal zoning to teach players accountability. Its not how many stats you get, Its about nullifying your opponent as well. Just beat your opponent, if we get that hapening at least we have some hope.

At this stage I dont see anythinmg positive, Playing for the future? We still have blokes like Simmonds, King and Hislop getting games.

I dont need to hear anymore spin. I ijust want to see some bloody competitive footy and as far as Im concerned our gameplan is crap!, Ive been to the carlton and melbourne games and we get opened up far too easily. We just arent ready for these technical gameplans...

Just give us some hope boys!!!! for christ sake!!

Yes it is just you.

Need to get out and chase more crumpet instead of trying to avenge it against whatever deadly sin was commited to it.