Frees...where you get ém | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Frees...where you get ém

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
We were down on the free kick score again on Sat. night, but it is not so much the discrepancy of 6 that matters, but rather where the ump. pays them. I lost count of the frees to the Dons in front of goal....I think at least 6. Those frees can make a huge difference to the result. I am not saying they were not there, but if they were, then who in our backline is giving away these frees?? It seems the fave team on the day, gets the best of the umpiring, or am I being so blind, I can't see the forest for the trees.

Exactly.

Its not how many you get, but where you get them and what influence it has on the game.

I reckon the Dons got 3 goals from frees, and missed about 4 others. I remember thinking all it deserved about 4 times. Plus they got paid a mark early that was doubtful.

But what annoyed me most was most of the frees were either doubtful, or I just couldn't see what they were for. You know the kind of free. The one the ump pulls out and the whole crowd has no idea what it is for. The crowd doesn't even boo or get frustrated because no one is quite sure what has happened. They got quite a few of those that gave them shots a goal.

And then of course you see obvious frees soon after that are missed.

Very frustrating.

Also the number of frees paid arond stoppages for dead set nothing, just a player with the best reputation will get a free if some1 looks at them funny. VERY FRUSTRATING!

graystar1 said:
We were down on the free kick score again on Sat. night, but it is not so much the discrepancy of 6 that matters, but rather where the ump. pays them. I lost count of the frees to the Dons in front of goal....I think at least 6. Those frees can make a huge difference to the result. I am not saying they were not there, but if they were, then who in our backline is giving away these frees?? It seems the fave team on the day, gets the best of the umpiring, or am I being so blind, I can't see the forest for the trees.

It was ridiculous really. Technically every free is probably there, but then if they are, it requires consistency when the same thing happens at the other end of the ground. The game is too over umpired at times.

One of the things I watch closely at most games is the high number of shots at goal that come within three possessions of a free. You would be amazed how many there are.

The worst time to give away a free is when you have possession of the ball but under pressure and are approaching the forward 50. An arbitrary holding the ball /push in the back/there's Chris Judd, he's a gun, I'll give him a free/ style decision, usually one of many in the same passage of play, sees up to a dozen players caught out of position and a goal is inevitable. Reverse that decision and the goal is inevitable up the other end.

The other is at centre clearances after a couple of ball-ups have gone nowhere. Inevitably, a free is plucked and given to the "superior" or "glamour" team more often than not.

It is very frustrating for supporters of the also-rans.

I suppose we just have to stop being "cellar-dwellers" and step up to the more attractive status of "Glamour team," just like Melbourne and Freo have done this year. That's when you get the most frees, when the AFL is trying to attract the disgruntled fans back.

Fair bit of sooking over nothing here. So they got a couple of frees for holding off the ball. Hardly impacted the result and Beavis says he wants us to play close to the line.

Perhaps we shouldn't have given away the free in the fist place.

It didn't change the result and 'cos I only look through one eye most of the time I never tend to worry about the umpiring but it was frustrating sitting there and listening to the 3 Essendon supporters behind us laughing at how soft the frees were and how good of a run they were getting.

Oh well hopefully what comes around goes around.

jb03 said:
Fair bit of sooking over nothing here. So they got a couple of frees for holding off the ball. Hardly impacted the result and Beavis says he wants us to play close to the line.

Perhaps we shouldn't have given away the free in the fist place.

Think we're talking around at least 6 free kicks (probably more) inside the 50 arc. It was pretty blatantly inconsistent. Of course it wouldn't have affected the result considering they missed or didnt make the distance for most of those frees, but that shouldn't stop us from commenting on our observation.