Footy media , love’m or hate’ m ? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Footy media , love’m or hate’ m ?

It's a fine line.
but didn’t he comment on the umpiring during one of the breaks and not after the game? And I thought he dismissed it when he was asked again at his presser after the game. I might be wrong, I’m trying to forget the game :)
Correct this is how it played out.
1/2 time "trigger happy"
Some like to rewrite the manuscript to suit their narrative.

I would have thought lions have won the flag going off the 360 segment.

And listening to the muppets (Maher and Murphy) on SEN jeez I would love the tigers to shove it up them
Yeah the Yobbo and Mincey love fest with Fagan is nauseating :vomit

It’s quite funny though as they keep asking Clarkson to pump him up and say how proud he his. Clarko obliges of course but he also keeps saying how proud of Dimma he is as well.

Mincey and Yobbo not happy Jan:mhihi

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah the Yobbo and Mincey love fest with Fagan is nauseating :vomit

It’s quite funny though as they keep asking Clarkson to pump him up and say how proud he his. Clarko obliges of course but he also keeps saying how proud of Dimma he is as well.

Mincey and Yobbo not happy Jan:mhihi
Yep Clarkson pumped us up a bit and also said we are capable of doing what that Hawks did after losing the QF.

I didn't think Hardwick should have mentioned it, someone posted in the game day thread straight after the game that they hoped he didn't go down that path because it would be a poor example and it was an insightful comment.

When your team has just lost a final, arguably through poor discipline, I think the last thing you should do is give any support to any notion of being hard done by.

Man up, be professional and set the standard that you don't consider an umpiring decision for one moment longer than the decision itself. Robbo's right in that regard, worrying about umpiring is fan stuff, not the actions of a pro.
Nah - about time Dimma called out the poor umpiring. Clarko would have done it ages ago. We've been too humble and too professional.

Nah - about time Dimma called out the poor umpiring. Clarko would have done it ages ago. We've been too humble and too professional.

Yep. Clarko got a rule changed mid year FFS!!

I didn't think Hardwick should have mentioned it, someone posted in the game day thread straight after the game that they hoped he didn't go down that path because it would be a poor example and it was an insightful comment.

When your team has just lost a final, arguably through poor discipline, I think the last thing you should do is give any support to any notion of being hard done by.

Man up, be professional and set the standard that you don't consider an umpiring decision for one moment longer than the decision itself. Robbo's right in that regard, worrying about umpiring is fan stuff, not the actions of a pro.
Dimma hardly went down that path although a journo tried to lure him to do so in the presser. He was clearly livid over the 50m penalty decisions which resulted in the 2 vital goals in the half-time grab, which was virtually the game, along with the overturned Bolton goal which hit the padding, and the inconclusive footage (apparently - hard to tell from limited Ch.7 film) of the Vlastuin claimed touched goal.

But a minder would have probably got to Dimma before the post-match presser, to remind him not to dare criticise the umpiring for determining the result, so he was careful. But I wish he never went down the path of admitting poor discipline because that is OTT for what happened IMHO (see my prior post re this) . But the fear of further on-field retribution from the AFL via the umpiring of ensuing final(s) is not to be risked. See what happened to Clarkson's Hawks after his much-publicised criticism. So Dimma knows he must take the cool-aid.

But 'arguably through poor discipline' - you fall so comfortably into the AFL and media narrative per usual, TBR. Robbo and Hutchie would relate well to you I'd say.

But that final pgh is simply breathtaking in your condescending and patronising of all those who fail to conform to your incredibly gullible and naive world-view when it comes to the AFL in general and its umpiring department. (Maradona's infamous hand-of-god WC goal was so right too I suppose?)

How about then the AFL and their precious umpires be accountable for their decisions and rule 'interpretations' along with responsibility for the constant meddling with the rules that render the game so inconsistent in its enforcement? These guys are FT professionals too, aren't they? And very well-paid, especially in the current economy. Why is their a cone of silence? Heavy penalties for any criticism or even questioning by anyone involved in the game? In a supposed democracy where free speech is a central tenet. How about the umpires set a consistent high standard? Coaches, players, club officials are not allowed to avoid media scrutiny.

'Robbo's right in that regard, worrying about umpiring is fan stuff, not the actions of a pro." If you believe that crucial umpiring decisions did NOT have a major influence in both our final and the Pies win, then you are the AFL 'fan'. Your endorsement of that flog Robbo says much about you. If you cannot recognise his abiding jealous resentment of RFC, along with his downright ignorance when it comes to comprehending the game at all, then your awareness is highly questionable e.g. So you actually believe our players are bullies? Cotchin? Bolton? Pickett? Even though we are usually always a shorter/lighter team, we are bullies?

Just tell me again how the Skunks almost always end matches with a significant FF credit; while we get same FA? It's just one of those incidentals, purely random I suppose?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
How about then the AFL and their precious umpires be accountable for their decisions and rule 'interpretations' along with responsibility for the constant meddling with the rules that render the game so inconsistent in its enforcement? These guys are FT professionals too, aren't they? And very well-paid, especially in the current economy. Why is their a cone of silence? Heavy penalties for any criticism or even questioning by anyone involved in the game? In a supposed democracy where free speech is a central tenet. How about the umpires set a consistent high standard? Coaches, players, club officials are not allowed to avoid media scrutiny.

'Robbo's right in that regard, worrying about umpiring is fan stuff, not the actions of a pro." If you believe that crucial umpiring decisions did NOT have a major influence in both our final and the Pies win, then you are the AFL 'fan'. Your endorsement of that flog Robbo says much about you. If you cannot recognise his abiding jealous resentment of RFC, along with his downright ignorance when it comes to comprehending the game at all, then your awareness is highly questionable e.g. So you actually believe our players are bullies? Cotchin? Bolton? Pickett? Even though we are usually always a shorter/lighter team, we are bullies?

Just tell me again how the Skunks almost always end matches with a significant FF credit; while we get same FA? It's just one of those incidentals, purely random I suppose?

Great post. Agree totally. Said it in the Umpires thread, umpiring is the biggest problem with our game. Has been for a few years now.

Also 100% agree our players are not bullies, never have been. I bet most of us go to all the games, before this year. We know what we see and we are football fans as much as Richmond fans. I am not arrogant and I will say, without arrogance, that I understand the game. Have for decades. I said it in the other thread.

Our players are not all dumb. They know they are umpired differently. They def knew it on Friday night. That reality, together with the noise of affirmation and the unbalanced umpiring, pushed a few players over the edge.

Like Leon said, Collingwood almost always win the *smile* count.

Agree with that, it’s a whingers world . I don’t like hearing our coach “ sook” however it’s a smart ploy , grin an bare it dosent work in the AFL

The only area that I do blame Richmond is Hardwick's media conferences and media answers at times.

Damien's media performance and his shaping of the Richmond narratives have been his weakest areas for me. Even in our good years.

I love Damien for what he has done for Richmond. Yet, he is not a savvy media performer. I can't handle Chris Scott's arrogance - and up to recently, his bullying responses (the journos are frightened of him) - but his ability to respond to all subject matters and help shape the Geelong narrative are exceptional.

Damien's responses regarding Lynch playing on the edge did Tom no favours. The same narrative with the team; the dew at the MCG, the way he used the ill discipline as a blame for the Port loss when again it's the umpiring, the response to Sydney's flooding, the David Schwartz comments - to be honest, it has always been his poorest area. He gets tongue tied. He knows it too. He knows.

I particularly get angry with his PR and media performance because it has been HIS narrative that we are a team with role players that has undersold many of our champion players. Jack Riewoldt, Dylan Grimes, Nick V, Trent Cotchin, Shane Edwards and Prestia have been great players. Stars. Especially Jack. I dont enjoy it when I hear the media talk about them as just good players, playing their role for a team. that's true but they are much more than this. A few media people refer to them as champion players - Terry Wallace, Carey and Matthews on the radio a lot.

Others dont. Damien hasn't helped at times with his language. In trying not to be arrogant and to remain humble (a good trait), he undersells at times and over-emphasises the wrong narratives.

Stopped reading Bob when you state “even in our good years”...you can’t be imply 2020 isn’t a good year?

Was that the one where the ruckman was Stefan Martin and the umpire blew the whistle and yelled out “ Martin” and dusty kicked it and was penalised?

No McInnnery 20 metres directly in front of our goal.
His arm was wrapped around Martin's neck.
Why wasn't that shown on the 45 footy shows last night?

The only area that I do blame Richmond is Hardwick's media conferences and media answers at times.

Damien's media performance and his shaping of the Richmond narratives have been his weakest areas for me. Even in our good years.

I love Damien for what he has done for Richmond. Yet, he is not a savvy media performer. I can't handle Chris Scott's arrogance - and up to recently, his bullying responses (the journos are frightened of him) - but his ability to respond to all subject matters and help shape the Geelong narrative are exceptional.

Damien's responses regarding Lynch playing on the edge did Tom no favours. The same narrative with the team; the dew at the MCG, the way he used the ill discipline as a blame for the Port loss when again it's the umpiring, the response to Sydney's flooding, the David Schwartz comments - to be honest, it has always been his poorest area. He gets tongue tied. He knows it too. He knows.

I particularly get angry with his PR and media performance because it has been HIS narrative that we are a team with role players that has undersold many of our champion players. Jack Riewoldt, Dylan Grimes, Nick V, Trent Cotchin, Shane Edwards and Prestia have been great players. Stars. Especially Jack. I dont enjoy it when I hear the media talk about them as just good players, playing their role for a team. that's true but they are much more than this. A few media people refer to them as champion players - Terry Wallace, Carey and Matthews on the radio a lot.

Others dont. Damien hasn't helped at times with his language. In trying not to be arrogant and to remain humble (a good trait), he undersells at times and over-emphasises the wrong narratives.

Scott comes across as bitter and defensive. Dimma actually says not a lot but comes across mostly as calm, rational and secure.

Reactions: 1 users
No love lost with Ling slamming Hocking on the umpires bouncing the ball off the centre circle.
I guarntee you people that hocking has told the umpires, if WE do anything that isnt right, to immediately pay a free kick to the opppstion.
Don't listen to the *smile*, how Brisbane stood up to us and they took us on.
With 5 minutes to go 22 Brisbane players were thinking we are going to lose.
Zorko carried on like he had gone back to back when the siren went.
The hype surrounding The old codger makes me think the AFL need/want Brisbane in the GF.
If that game was played any where else, even how badly we played we wouldve beaten them again.
Don't ever compare Friday's game to the prelimarly final against Collingwood.
I have confidence we can make the GF, but the umpires we not allow us to make it.
You cant go through finals and not get rewarded with any free kicks.
Especially the ones that can punish the opppstion.

Agree with that, it’s a whingers world . I don’t like hearing our coach “ sook” however it’s a smart ploy , grin an bare it dosent work in the AFL
True. We’ve been interfered with by the umpires for 4 straight seasons, week after week, and copped it. Dimma said nothing.

Hawthorn get a bad game, Clarko whinges and the interpretation gets changed!