Footy media , love’m or hate’ m ? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Footy media , love’m or hate’ m ?

Imho his on the overatted side , been involved in 1 flag in neally 30 years of coaching , Coached a flood type mentality that was horrendous to watch , had genuine superstars but ultimately couldn’t get the job done . Good coach yes, messiah lol no.
Side note Saints playing first finals since he left the club with a burnt out list
I reckon this is where people get it so wrong on Lyon. Yeh he had a few stars, but his Saints and Freo sides were full of battlers. And I mean full.

Line up some of the Saints & Freo GF sides against their opponents player for player - and then select which player you'd prefer. I reckon you'd take the oppositons player 75% of the time.

Reactions: 2 users
Quite a few blatant stagings over the weekend. Didn’t hear a peep out of any of the commentators. Has there been anything in the media at all about any one of them?
Yeh, you see them every week. PLayers throwing themselves down arms out. Seems they have all moved on. Zorko goads and tries to milk a 50 after every free by throwing himself down.

To be fair to Robbo, I actually thought we were very much undisciplined and petulant on Friday night.

Don’t need to read one of Robbo’s ghostwritten columns. They never say anything insightful. I remember reading one after we cleaned up Geelong in the finals and they barely mentioned that we won the game, it was more how did Geelong lose it, to us?

Good move by Ross Lyon to join Classified. To my surprise he comes across as likeable. He'll probably never coach again and could've become embittered at missing out on a flag, but he seems to be content with his lot and retains good relationships with people he's worked with.
Agree, and enjoy his media work. Obviously has real knowledge, as distinct from most of the out-dated (flog) ex-players e.g. the likes of Tim W and Healey. He's also honest and doesn't show bias or a big head. But he has made a heap out of AFL coaching. Doubt he has the driving motivation to return to the grind ... but for a flag?
Never say never.

I reckon this is where people get it so wrong on Lyon. Yeh he had a few stars, but his Saints and Freo sides were full of battlers. And I mean full.

Line up some of the Saints & Freo GF sides against their opponents player for player - and then select which player you'd prefer. I reckon you'd take the oppositons player 75% of the time.
Dimma had a whole list full of battlers and a few handy youngsters when he took over and in less time then Lyon had Dimma has 2 flags . Lyon had to goes at building lists, if he held onto to many battlers it’s his own fault for coming up short, Zac Dawson is the best example. No doubt he was a good coach , however until he gets a flag he can’t be classed any higher

Dimma had a whole list full of battlers and a few handy youngsters when he took over and in less time then Lyon had Dimma has 2 flags . Lyon had to goes at building lists, if he held onto to many battlers it’s his own fault for coming up short, Zac Dawson is the best example. No doubt he was a good coach , however until he gets a flag he can’t be classed any higher
Oh God Hack Dawson. He got the bloke to follow him, like a pet. Lyon still really likes that horrible negative style he favours. He’s left both clubs in worse shape than when he got there, and unable to win a flag with either of them.

Reactions: 1 user
To be fair to Robbo, I actually thought we were very much undisciplined and petulant on Friday night.
Shai got annoyed at the big Lions yob McInerney holding him down for long after the whistle was blown. Probably over-reacted and shouldn't have lost his cool. However, that is also often recognised and paid as a free. Later, he kicked the ball away after the whistle, but maybe he just didn't hear it. Who knows, it's supposed to be a really loud, echo-y stadium. But, fine, he can take the blame for these.
Next Zorko gets into Pickett's ear saying something; Marlion gives a bit of a shove and Zorko puts the mayo on. Was that such a huge offence? Were any of them justifying a goal-shot in a final? (Go look at a replay of the Pies win; you will see a skunk kick the ball away post whistle free to WC. No penalty!)

Of course, players like *smile* Robinson, Zorko are always such sweet choir-boys, aren't they? While Shai and Marlion such nasty thugs.

Don't get me wrong. Both our guys have to smarten up right away to avoid getting sucked in and giving a free/50s away. I'm sure Dimma will knock that into them.
Just all look so contrived to me. Like the umps were almost rehearsed on it; whistles at the ready. So quick to penalise.

But did you notice how KMac got bowled over after taking that mark. Ump said it was in the contest. Absolutely false. It doesn't matter that he was still good enough to goal from it. It's what it tells you about the umpiring. Vlastuin decision for HTB too, among many.

I dispute that our players are bullies or undisciplined. No. We are umpired savagely. Careful in subscribing to the media's BS agendas on RFC players. We actually play with a differential in frees that amounts to 1 to a 1/2 a player nearly every game to my mind. Strange, the media are barred from really examining the umpiring - or it just does not suit their agendas.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users

Dimma's the greatest ever coach that lived or didn't live , Lyon's not in his class!

But there's a fair bit of luck involved in actually winning it. And when you had the cattle he did he needed an unusual amount of luck.

2009 they lose to an all-time great side by 12 pts. I reckon there would have been only 4 or 5 saints that would have got a game in that Geelong side.

2010 they tie a GF with a backline including Dawson/Gram/Gilbert/Blake/Fisher/Eddy. Of those only Fisher would get a spot in our backline.

They had the like of Ray/Peake/Kosi/Jones/Dempster/McQualter/Gwilt/Baker.....

I know they didn't win but he's had extended success with pretty average sides. Yes, maybe he couldn't adapt the game plan to score more but he also had some average players to work with. His Freo side was worse and he did a great job with them.

LTRTR stats on older coaches are quite revealing, Lyon may not get another chance as you suggest.

Yeah, he's a great coach, did the best possible with what he had and just missed out on the biggest prize. Mark him down for the way he left the clubs - no succession plan, playing lists pretty bare. But he's a good footy brain.

Reactions: 1 users
But did you notice how KMac got bowled over after taking that mark. Ump said it was in the contest. Absolutely false. It doesn't matter that he was still good enough to goal from it. It's what it tells you about the umpiring. Vlastuin decision for HTB too, among many.

Glad you mentioned this. The umps were scraping the the barrel to not penalise the lions yet were trigger happy when it came to penalising us.

Similar with the Edwards deliberate - there were 2 previous deliberates by the lions and the umps said they had a teamate in the vicinity - yet when edwards had prestia in the vicinity it was paid deliberate.

disciplined ? reckon our guys were very disciplined that none did a john bourke

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
I can't get the article as it is paywalled, but Robbo looks like he hasn't missed us in the Herald Sun today. "Arrogant, petulant Tigers must stop whining." I am sure he will have another crack on 360 tonight. I don't mind that, but last year he was one of many who gave us no credit for our 12-game winning streak on the way to the flag. All he would say when Richmond came up as a discussion point was "they wouldn't want to lose it, they wouldn't want to stuff it up, Gerard" and then change the subject. :cool:
Don’t know what to make of this. In his “likes/dislikes” piece, point 2 in his ” dislikes” section titled Don’t blame the whistleblower”. I will type out the last couple of sentences.
“ Umpires can’t win. Interesting, though, that two losing coaches at the weekend, Chris Scott and Damien Hardwick, both had issues with the umpiring. Why bother? The winning coaches didn’t seem to have a problem”

Am I missing something here? Is he saying that because the other teams won and didn’t complain that there wasn’t a problem, so we shouldn’t be complaining? Or is he saying that there is no use complaining?

How about the Brisbane ruckman wrapping his arm around Dustys neck and he calls out free kick to Brisbane.
The Samsung copped the Remote

• Angry
Reactions: 5 users
Glad you mentioned this. The umps were scraping the the barrel to not penalise the lions yet were trigger happy when it came to penalising us.

Similar with the Edwards deliberate - there were 2 previous deliberates by the lions and the umps said they had a teamate in the vicinity - yet when edwards had prestia in the vicinity it was paid deliberate.

disciplined ? reckon our guys were very disciplined that none did a john bourke
Yep. Can't argue it was in the contest when his arm wasnt even raised when Kmac took the mark.

How about the Brisbane ruckman wrapping his arm around Dustys neck and he calls out free kick to Brisbane.
The Samsung copped the Remote
Was that the one where the ruckman was Stefan Martin and the umpire blew the whistle and yelled out “ Martin” and dusty kicked it and was penalised?

When your team has just lost a final, arguably through poor discipline, I think the last thing you should do is give any support to any notion of being hard done by.

Man up, be professional and set the standard that you don't consider an umpiring decision for one moment longer than the decision itself. Robbo's right in that regard, worrying about umpiring is fan stuff, not the actions of a pro.

but didn’t he comment on the umpiring during one of the breaks and not after the game? And I thought he dismissed it when he was asked again at his presser after the game. I might be wrong, I’m trying to forget the game :)

I would have thought lions have won the flag going off the 360 segment.

And listening to the muppets (Maher and Murphy) on SEN jeez I would love the tigers to shove it up them