Footy 16 magazine | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Footy 16 magazine

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
In this magazine, just out for a little while, David King makes some valid points about the Tigers.

He makes a few positive comments but probably hits the nail on the head when he says we have gone from the quickest team in the comp 3 years ago to a slow boring style of football, last year.

Also states a fact that we were the lowest of any team last year to play on after taking a mark. In fairness he does say the slow play worked for us.

Having watched almost all of the NAB games so far I have to be impressed by the running style that has evolved, particularly, GWS, North and Collingwood today.

We played a fast game against the Hawks and that worked. It appears that is the style of game that is going to win games in 2016, so hope we play that way when the real season starts.

Reckon the tackling might go up a notch or two when the real footy starts. Then we'll see how quick some of these "February" teams are.

Plus the limiting of the interchange will slow a few down too.

Shaping as a good season - for strong bodies with stamina........ just the way the game was played in the late 60s, early 70s, and the Tigers did alright then.

Ideally we're at a stage where we can switch from fast paced to snail pace as and when we need too.

How were we one of the quickest teams 3 years ago and how are we different now? Too far back for me to remember at the moment. :-[

rosy23 said:
How were we one of the quickest teams 3 years ago and how are we different now? Too far back for me to remember at the moment. :-[

I'm done with Kings lab coat analysis of footy. He was interesting for a short while now he is completely carried away drinking his own bath water and tries to spew some kind of alternate view to utter basic stuff.

Like many before him he has run his race and just speaks utter crap

rosy23 said:

Might be referring to the team's ball movement Rosy. We played a much more open game, with an emphasis on playing on at all costs. Very different style since then based on ball retention and risk aversion.

I personally hope to see a bit more flair this year and a willingness to use the leg speed we've clearly targeted in recent recruiting.

rinso17 said:
I'm done with Kings lab coat analysis of footy. He was interesting for a short while now he is completely carried away drinking his own bath water and tries to spew some kind of alternate view to utter basic stuff.

Like many before him he has run his race and just speaks utter crap

Maybe so rinso, but he was a coach for us for a while and is entitled to his opinion, just like us. He does say the Tigers are solid. In his crystal ball summation in this magazine he has us finishing 4th. Don't think this is crap as you put it.

Up until the North game last year we were trying to play a much faster style of game, but we just weren't good enough to pull it off. At 2-4 we did an about face in game style and went to mark, hold the ball, chip it around and work it slowly forward. It was the Hawks game where we nailed it and denied them the ball - we went from one of the top 2 or 3 for playing on to 18th and in the process turned our season around.

The interesting thing about this year will be that the quick players we have drafted (and recruited with Yarran) over the last 2 years lends to a faster game style, but if doesn't work we can switch back to slowing things down more effectively than when we tried to do it in the past.

The first 4 weeks will be the barometer to the season I think. I am a bit worried at how bullish some commentators think we will go, some are putting us in the Top 2! I'm ever optimistic, but we need a good start.

Always amazes me how so much of us in the general public take footy journos opinions as gospel, IMHO there generally nothing more then average with there footy nous and understanding of the game, some are very good with statistics and the history of the game but most don't have much more football iq then the average fan. Most are just gossip columnists focusing on drug sagas and off field dramas rather then been able to dissect , analyse an rate a player ,a team, a coach, a new football game style and all the many nuances of the game. Good luck to them , I don't know of many jobs that get paid so well with having such limited knowledge about what you write about

Quick, shoot the messenger and institute our preferred version of reality!

BTW although I was thinking top 2 early doors, I don't think our boys are good enough (who is?) to carry Hardwick's brain farts.

Robbo is probably astute and judging teams by coaches. If teams around us improve or have good runs with injuries they are all likely to surpass us because of the quality of the respective coaches.

Re: Footy 16 maga

graystar1 said:
Maybe so rinso, but he was a coach for us for a while and is entitled to his opinion, just like us. He does say the Tigers are solid. In his crystal ball summation in this magazine he has us finishing 4th. Don't think this is crap as you put it.

When he sees a single chain of 3 hand passes With the final player in the chain going for a short run with a single bounce early in the first quarter, then says " You can see how they have changed there style to a run and carry style"

Pleeeez Grays tar

CC TIGER said:
Always amazes me how so much of us in the general public take footy journos opinions as gospel, IMHO there generally nothing more then average with there footy nous and understanding of the game, some are very good with statistics and the history of the game but most don't have much more football iq then the average fan. Most are just gossip columnists focusing on drug sagas and off field dramas rather then been able to dissect , analyse an rate a player ,a team, a coach, a new football game style and all the many nuances of the game. Good luck to them , I don't know of many jobs that get paid so well with having such limited knowledge about what you write about

True of some CCT. But having said that, David King was an excellent player for North, and having played the game at top level, knows what he is talking about....most of the time anyway.

Sure, he gets paid, no doubt handsomely, for his articles, but he does make more sense than some.

graystar1 said:
True of some CCT. But having said that, David King was an excellent player for North, and having played the game at top level, knows what he is talking about....most of the time anyway.

Sure, he gets paid, no doubt handsomely, for his articles, but he does make more sense than some.
Sorry graystar I was making more of a general journo statement , not so much on the article. I agree re David King think his one of the best in the media, not hard to respect a blokes opinion who has achieved what he has on the field. Spoke with him many times in pre match functions, I always got the feel he wasn't in agreance with what Wallace was doing at the club and wasn't thrilled with the game plan they were applying.

CC TIGER said:
Sorry graystar I was making more of a general journo statement , not so much on the article. I agree re David King think his one of the best in the media, not hard to respect a blokes opinion who has achieved what he has on the field. Spoke with him many times in pre match functions, I always got the feel he wasn't in agreance with what Wallace was doing at the club and was thrilled with the game plan they were applying.

OK CCT. I agree with you about some of the comments made by journos who have never played the game.