Did anyone else see..................? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Did anyone else see..................?

doherz

Tiger Superstar
Apr 24, 2004
Tigerland
www.informtech.com.au
tigerjoe said:
The aboriginal elder on the oprah Australian special who was wearing a Richmond membership cap?

Oprah was at Uluru and met the aboriginal elders of the tribe who own the land around Uluru.

The hat the elder was wearing was one from about 7-8 years ago with the drink, drive, bloody idiot logo on one side and the tiger logo on the front.
Smart man!

The tigers are bloody everywhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stolen

Jason King said:
Dear oh dear. Enough with the stupid racial slurs please.

Really offensive to those of us who
A) are intelligent enough to not care about race
B) respect Aboriginal people
C) Have Aboriginal blood (me I'm not sure)

What you see in Victoria or any other city is nothing like the big picture. So why not be content to know nothing or not much and not comment in a really stupid manner.

DOHERZ that was an ignorant uncalled for lame attempt at being funny.
When you work with the aboriginal community as I do you will see that there are far greater issues with the european community. There is no room for racist comments and your lame inuendo. I hope that Rosy has a serious word to you about responsible posting and taste

Dean Hart Northey said:
There is no room for racist comments and your lame inuendo. I hope that Rosy has a serious word to you about responsible posting and taste

I'm at a bit of a loss here sorry DHN. I don't know what the racist comment or lame innuendo is referring to. I wouldn't have a clue what doherz meant by his comment. Is there a stereotype image of Aboriginals being thieves? I've never heard that. Collingwood supporters maybe but not Aboriginals. Usually posts people consider racist are reported but not one person has done so in regard to this thread. I'd welcome someone letting me know what the comment meant and how it was racist. In fact when i get time today the offending comments and accusations should be split from this thread. They don't belong on the football board.

fastin bulbous said:
And what do you know red neck

Do you mind? How rude.

Tigers Lets Roar said:
i think you'll find he was refering to what the show was saying.

I was (although I am a she). My comment was more about the impression the Oprah show was giving about the Aboriginal race. It was a cliched and stereotyped.

fastin bulbous said:
apologies then, get really steamed up about racism

Maybe you should take a deep breath before jumping to conclusions and you might not get so steamed up.

rosy23 said:
I'm at a bit of a loss here sorry DHN. I don't know what the racist comment or lame innuendo is referring to. I wouldn't have a clue what doherz meant by his comment. Is there a stereotype image of Aboriginals being thieves? I've never heard that. Collingwood supporters maybe but not Aboriginals. Usually posts people consider racist are reported but not one person has done so in regard to this thread. I'd welcome someone letting me know what the comment meant and how it was racist. In fact when i get time today the offending comments and accusations should be split from this thread. They don't belong on the football board.
Know nothing about the stereotype suggestions on the oprah show some are alluding to Rosy but those getting incensed about doherz comments re the "stolen" suggestion about Aboriginals are on the money.
There's been an ongoing stereotype about them all being drunks and thieves for at least forty plus years that I can think of, and many more then that that older people would have heard.
Problem for me is they are similar to the sort of stereo types placed on Germans, Africans, Italians, Jews, Asians, Indians, Americans, Brits, Arabic and everyone else who is a little bit different to the historical core of a society.
From what I've seen people all hang a bit of *smile* on those that are a smidgin different, some don't care, some join in the banter, some get genuinely annoyed and the worst get annoyed because the law says they're allowed to or can make a profit from it.

TigerMasochist said:
There's been an ongoing stereotype about them all being drunks and thieves for at least forty plus years that I can think of, and many more then that that older people would have heard.

That's interesting. I've never heard the thief stereotype. I did a search when it was raised as a racist comment and found a list of 20+ Stereotypes & prejudice of 'Aboriginal Australia' and thieving wasn't amongst them.

rosy23 said:
That's interesting. I've never heard the thief stereotype. I did a search when it was raised as a racist comment and found a list of 20+ Stereotypes & prejudice of 'Aboriginal Australia' and thieving wasn't amongst them.

I reckon it goes back to the old 'abo' jokes like ''what do you call an Aborigine with a gun'', ''what do you call an Aborigine in a mercedes? A thief'' etc. Pretty insensitive but who hasn't laughed at a good Irish or blonde joke?

snaps truly said:
I reckon it goes back to the old 'abo' jokes like ''what do you call an Aborigine with a gun'', ''what do you call an Aborigine in a mercedes? A thief'' etc. Pretty insensitive but who hasn't laughed at a good Irish or blonde joke?
Fair point,but its a different world now