Deliberste OOB | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Deliberste OOB

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
This new rule of free kick for deliberate out of bounds is a farce.

Quite a few times I have seen a player, running at full tilt towards the boundary, pick up the ball, can't stop running and crosses the line. Free kick!!

One time a hawthorn player stepped over, in those circumstances, one step only, barely over the line...impossible for him to stop crossing and was pinged.

Hope this is not in place for the season proper. If the ball is deliberately kicked OOB, then fine, but always a judgement by the ump.

What do you reckon??

The only consistent rule with the AFL now is to consistently tamper with the rules. I think what Simpson said the other day was spot on.

graystar1 said:
This new rule of free kick for deliberate out of bounds is a farce.

Quite a few times I have seen a player, running at full tilt towards the boundary, pick up the ball, can't stop running and crosses the line. Free kick!!

One time a hawthorn player stepped over, in those circumstances, one step only, barely over the line...impossible for him to stop crossing and was pinged.

Hope this is not in place for the season proper. If the ball is deliberately kicked OOB, then fine, but always a judgement by the ump.

What do you reckon??

They have basically changed the rule to "you must keep the ball in play" rather than deliberate out of bounds; almost basketball like. Essentially a player is not afforded the same opportunities against a boundary line that he is in the centre of the oval.

Not keen.

Like most new interpretations the umps are red hot to start with then by rd 5 or so it'll have eased right back.

tigertim said:
Like most new interpretations the umps are red hot to start with then by rd 5 or so it'll have eased right back.

This has to happen, otherwise I think they will change the rule mid season. Too harsh.

Perhaps this rule is anti Richmond. How can we just kick it to the forward pocket and force a stoppage over the boundary? We might have to move it quickly through the middle. Our forwards might go into shock.

tigertim said:

Yep, that tends to be the norm.
Makes you wonder why they bother to make these rules in the first place.

se7en said:

Because in the grand scheme of things the AFL is a B grade competition run by an administration that jumps at shadows

Its a shizen rule no doubt . When a ball is kicked along the boundary ,takes 2 bounces then goes out at right angles its damn deliberate , jeeezzz.

se7en said:

On the full used to be a throw-in!

I thought the old rule was like basketball? Correct me if I'm wrong. Last to touch it/ dispose of it - it goes against them.

I'd prefer this than to have the umpires trying to guess intent. Makes a *smile* job harder.

I wish we could get Dennis Pagan on the rules committee. He was the bloke who cautioned against buggering around with the rules because the game evolves and corrects itself. Every time they do this the coaches and the players invariably find a way to exploit it for their own ends. There should be a moratorium on rule changes for a period of 2 or 3 seasons, then we can revisit it and see if anything needs to be done. This continual tinkering with the rules is doing more damage to the game than anything else. It seems like they bring in a new rule to fix something that probably wasn't broken in the first place and then the following season they have to bring in another change to rectify the effect of one of the other things they've mucked about with. It also makes the umpire's job harder and gives the crowd ammunition to fire at them about why can't they do their job properly.

Let's call a spade a spade - it's absurd. Does anyone in their right mind give a flying fig? Were fans waving placards in the streets? Demonstrations outside Jolimont? The VFL / AFL comp is heading towards 120 years and in the first 110 it was considered a skill to kick the ball down the line and gain territory for your team. But according to the new rule, if some poor bugger trips up ball in hand and goes arse over the line - because it's not as though these blokes are under any pressure - he'll be pinged.

While I'm at it, another Einstein has devised an altogether higher plane of a game formerly known as a contact sport and created a 10m ring around a 'protected area'. Lord knows what that is and ditto - who gives a fig? As Rohan Connolly wrote five days ago, there have been no less than 49 rules changes over the past 20 seasons.

And we're about to enjoy the spectacle of four field umpires. One was considered enough in 1975. Now we need four. Gee, the game has come on in leaps and bounds.

I watched a total of about 45 mins of the NAB cup, so I'm not totally on top of the new interpretation. but if its done right, it could be the best rule since in years. the one to be concerned about is the new 10m rule.

Leysy agrees with it as well.

As long as the umpires continue to police it fervently leysy is all for it.

What is the new rule? I don't think I've mastered the old rules yet.

rosy23 said:
What is the new rule? I don't think I've mastered the old rules yet.

Think basketball. Last one to touch it before it goes out gives away the free kick.