Defence Over The Past Month | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Defence Over The Past Month

Smoking Aces

GOAT Week!
Sep 21, 2007
Just saw a stat on On The Couch that we are ranked third in the league for the least amount of points scored against in the past month. From memory I think we have averaged 72 points against. A fair effort even though 1 game was in the pooring rain.

Credit has to go to our much maligned backline consisting of McGuane, Moore, Thursfield, Farmer, Newman and Deledio.

Smoking Aces said:
Just saw a stat on On The Couch that we are ranked third in the league for the least amount of points scored against in the past month. From memory I think we have averaged 72 points against. A fair effort even though 1 game was in the pooring rain.

Credit has to go to our much maligned backline consisting of McGuane, Moore, Thursfield, Farmer, Newman and Deledio.

Great stat wasn't it? The guys are gelling well now, all they need is a few more years together and who knows what they could be. I'm a massive McGuane fan and it was great to hear him get a wrap from Dimma at the press conference, let's hope his ankle is ok and he's back for sydney.

I think our forwards and midfielders and on ballers can also take a bit of kudos. Our forward pressure on their backs has got better and our midfielders and on ballers are getting a lot more of the ball and bunging it up our end instead of the opposition bunging it down their end.
It would be interesting to know if in the same period the average inside 50's for the opposition has fallen. That would indicate that the up field players are doing the job.
Alternatively if the conversions per inside 50 for the opposition has dropped then that's a good indication that the boys down back are doing a good job. Anyway, I don't think simple points against is necessarily a good measure of back line efficiency. Also the quality of opposition in the last month might have a bit to do with it.
Either way (I don't have the stats or know where to find them) it looks like a TEAM effort to me.

Was just looking at this subject on the RFC website where they have the stats you are talking about.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/96734/default.aspx

Don't leave out David Astbury in discussions on our defense.
He's looking very capable at CHB; doesn't fumble, has poise and is a good kick.

BBC said:
Don't leave out David Astbury in discussions on our defense.
He's looking very capable at CHB; doesn't fumble, has poise and is a good kick.
Yep I had a feeling I left someone out. Astbury has impressed me. He is a one touch player. With a few pre-seasons under his belt he will be a very very handy footballer. Held in high regard at the club not only for his footballing ability but for his leadership qualities as well.

Will be a real test against Sydney - there have been a couple of times in the past when we've come off some really good form only to be belted by the Swans. Strange to say it I think we have better performing cattle at the moment than from a few years ago.

Smoking Aces said:

Good post.
The defence was much maligned early but it's starting to click and has been excellent since the Hawks game.
McGuane's aerial work and physicality has been a standout.
Newman's leadership excellent and Deledio is playing his best football this year to become the general of the backline.
Still needs work but heading in the right direction.

Inside 50's rounds 1-9
Carlton 56, Bulldogs 72, Sydney 53, Melbourne 55, Fremantle 48, Geelong 63, Adelaide 53, Hawthorn 43, Essendon 56
Average: 55.44

Inside 50's since round 9
Port 44, Saints 55, WCE 44, Lions 52.
Average: 48.75

Overall average: 53.4

mcguane carried a stigma around this site since his very early days

he is massively underrated

mexican_radio said:
it begs the question, what is the status of McGuane and Moore's injuries?
Only injuries listed on the AFL site are

RICHMOND**
Matt Dea (foot) - indefinite
Nathan Foley (leg) - test
Tom Hislop (knee) - indefinite

** Carlton, Fremantle, Hawthorn, Melbourne, Richmond, West Coast and the Western Bulldogs have not updated their injury lists since last week. This is last week's list and will be updated when the club releases its latest list