Defence is good BUT we still need to score goals. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Defence is good BUT we still need to score goals.

Berwick boy

Tiger Superstar
Apr 27, 2004
Have turned into the new Fremanlle...
Back line pretty good but forward line non existent.

No lead up forward.

For the Griffiths bashers this is why he is so important to our structure.

When are we gonna get this black hole fixed?? With Beano building up for 2016 and beyond, let's hope we don't waste him in a dysfunctional structure.

As tonight has shown, when the defence breaks down badly we simply cant score goals to make up for it.

Very one dimensional the way we play.

Looking at the scoring shots not so sure. Houli continues his error prone season and Rance has been pantsed. Grimes hammy again, hunt question marks.

Smoking Aces said:
No lead up forward.

For the Griffiths bashers this is why he is so important to our structure.

Ha, Griffiths and lead up forward aren't two concepts that go together. He relies on his athleticism to take his marks and kick his not goals. He has no idea how to lead like a forward.

If you want a lead up forward, we have one who's kicked over 100 goals in the VFL, and who is apparently not as good as Hampson, Newman, lloyd etc.

Coburgtiger said:
Ha, Griffiths and lead up forward aren't two concepts that go together. He relies on his athleticism to take his marks and kick his not goals. He has no idea how to lead like a forward.

If you want a lead up forward, we have one who's kicked over 100 goals in the VFL, and who is apparently not as good as Hampson, Newman, lloyd etc.
Rubbish. Griffiths gives the backline that get out kick between defensive 50 and wing. We had nothing tonight hence our inability to create any forward movement.

We play a five-man forward line. They are all as slow as treacle. Need some pace in there or a tall, other than Jack, who can mark overhead. Griffiths can but he can't kick for goal. We need Motlop. In fact, we need two Motlops.

I think we should cut the defence some slack today - 75 inside 50s is enough to unravel the best.

scottyturnerscurse said:
We play a five-man forward line. They are all as slow as treacle. Need some pace in there or a tall, other than Jack, who can mark overhead. Griffiths can but he can't kick for goal. We need Motlop. In fact, we need two Motlops.
No. We need two Deledios. Actually one will do.

Agree - Griffiths is critical to our structure - I am afraid Hampson isn't mobile enough when he is up against the talls like Adelaide have - perhaps works against a aging Sandi. but that experiment is over - cant have Maric and Hampson in the same team.

Lennon will get there

If only we had someone in the VFL who shows they can kick goals. Imagine how good it would be if we had the bloke that was leading the VFL goal kicking?

Its not just the forwards its the way we bring it in.

With the haphazard bombing tonight not sure having Kennedy, Darling and Lecras down there would have made much difference.

lamb22 said:
I think we should cut the defence some slack today - 75 inside 50s is enough to unravel the best.
Correct - this game was lost in contested ball and clearances. No defense can stop 70+ inside 50's. Forward structure is something that needs to be addressed though. Too top heavy & not dangerous enough.

It used to be us pressing for 75% of games and the opposition congesting our backline. We're relatively new to this caper of flooding back deep. Hawks sat back but Adelaide came at us, leaving just enough behind to cover our scorers at the end of the chain in case we got out. Dimma needs to find a consistent way out the back for coast-to-coast goals.

There aren't many constants in the modern game.

Camporeale was far too astute for a noob. I sense the sinister hand of Worsfold.