Death of Self - Do footballers serve Truth, Love or Beauty? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Death of Self - Do footballers serve Truth, Love or Beauty?

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Many myths base on the sacrifice of self for a "Higher" ideal. Most war myths farm the idea of an individual sacrificing his own life for the good of those, who, because of that individual death meh meh. (Think WWI.) Nobody can see Truth, Love or Beauty in that. Ask Wilfred Owen.

Just recently I've had a few conversations with young people about death of self.

It's not mystical. You can lose yourself washing the dishes.

One of the post modern western fables (Daniel Goldman) is of the field surgeon who operated for 14 hours in the tent and only after the shift did another notice the very dry blood from the gunshot wound, perhaps 13 hours old.

Physical pain is rather easily endured. Loss. Damage. Grief. Emotional wounds. Are harder to bear. And recover from.

I like football (and other things) because of the death of self. (I think most of us feel that way.)

I am not a brave man. If you see me near my fears it's hilarious. We're all a bit like that. You're afraid, aren't you?

Across cultures, nations and times there are different myths and ceremonies. All sorts of ways of total commitment to a moment or ideal.

We all respect those who will die of self.

Truth is a service. Beauty. Perhaps love. Football is below these? No. Beauty.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
an image I saw during dusty300 week was a kid holding a sign at training saying

'its my ninth birthday, can I have your boots'

I thought

for *smile* sake, nobody gives a *smile* if you are nine kid. its pretty *smile* easy getting to 9. 300 afl games and 3 norm smiths isn't easy.

its not about you.

I reflected that the kids parents had watched him paint the sign, taken him a long to training with it, stood with him, desperately hoping he wouldn't fail (he did)

and they were culpable, for not identifying the most profoundly simple teachable moment

'hey kid, its not about you'

'huh?'

'we'll you see, this week is about Dusty, and by extension, all of us. getting to 9 is pretty easy, and you really havnt done much at all to get there. you havnt achieved anything, and all you are doing is begging. you are placing your own needs above every Richmond person. there isn't a Richmond person who doesn't want dusty boots, including dusty, and there's a lot of Richmond people who have done a hell of a lot more to deserve the boots, than simply waking up 3000-odd days and scratching their arse. But they aren't begging dusty boots during his 300th week celebration'. So let's go along to training without the sign, and celebrate Dusty unconditionally. Its not about you son, or me, or her, or them. its about us'

'oh'

I think perhaps the hardest and most important thing a parent can do to save the world,

is help kill off little selves?

maybe a birthday card that says

'big *smile* woopy do, I love you, but you dont matter'

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 11 users
Think I'm feeling all Bidenesque after reading all that,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, old n *smile* confused. That Dyer'ere bloke has a habit of doing that to people who read his early morning online ramblings.

Reactions: 1 user
an image I saw during dusty300 week was a kid holding a sign at training saying

'its my ninth birthday, can I have your boots'

I flew into a rage

for *smile* sake, nobody gives a *smile* if you are nine kid. its pretty *smile* easy getting to 9. 300 afl games and 3 norm smiths isn't easy.

its not about you.

I reflected that the kids parents had watched him paint the sign, taken him a long to training with it, stood with him, desperately hoping he wouldn't fail (he did)

and they were culpable, for not identifying the most profoundly simple teachable moment

'hey kid, its not about you'

'huh?'

'we'll you see, this week is about Dusty, and by extension, all of us. getting to 9 is pretty easy, and you really havnt done much at all to get there. you havnt achieved anything, and all you are doing is begging. you are placing your own needs above every Richmond person. there isn't a Richmond person who doesn't want dusty boots, and there's a lot of Richmond people who have done a hell of a lot more to deserve the boots, than simply waking up 3000-odd days and scratching their arse. But they aren't begging dusty boots during his 300th week celebration'. So let's go along to training without the sign, and celebrate Dusty unconditionally. Its not about you son, or me, or her, or them. its about us'

'oh'
2024 eZyT. It's all about me, me, me as far as the generation whatever kids are concerned. Hold up the sign n maybe you'll be important enough to receive the freebie.

On my way to Dusty's 300. I was waiting outside the Swan St tote while my companion eazy-E placed a few bets. A gaggle of Collingwood players walked past. 6 or 7. Cameron, Frampton, Quaynor & Co. They looked good, beautiful even, strapping young pro athletes in the prime of their life. But then there was the counterpoint scurrying along behind. Sidebottom, looking like a barely reformed meth addict, Ratso Rizzo, a skulking ferret in a mismatched ill-fitting soiled tracksuit and a threadbare beanie. Truth.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Most footballers cheat. They claim marks they didn't take, say they touched balls they didn't, and break any rule they can get away with. So we can rule out Truth.

We're happy to win Ugly, as long as we win.

By process of elimination, it's Love.

Reactions: 1 users
But then there was the counterpoint scurrying along behind. Sidebottom, looking like a barely reformed meth addict, Ratso Rizzo, a skulking ferret in a mismatched ill-fitting soiled tracksuit and a threadbare beanie. Truth.
Just a country boy all glammed up for a day in the city.

Thought there’d be a poll.

I vote Beauty. You love footballers because of the beauty they display.

Pelé once called soccer football “the beautiful game”
Pelé never watched Aussie rules
Pelé never seen Dusty

Reactions: 2 users
Is there really a need to sacrifice the self for a higher ideal? Clearly such an act is a thing of love and beauty. On field, a resounding yes for this is the domain of the physical-self. In terms of the higher-self, perhaps we should otherwise consider an extension of this self, the extended mind if you will, to all and everything around us. By doing so we create a single unity of form, function and spirit. A oneness in time and space. A thing of truth created by great love leading to the most beautiful of achievements. Flags!

The RFC is at a juncture, both on and off field. There are immediate challenges for both the physical and higher realms of the entity that is the RFC.

I watch the remainder of the season with great interest.

and Jack.....you never ever fail to surprise.