Clinton King | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Clinton King

A

admin

Clinton didn't get a very good wrap after Friday night and I'm a bit interested to know why?

I have to admit I didn't really watch the game with a lot of interest cos I was keeping track of the live scores on the computer too... (and I can't bring myself to watch the tape of it)...

To me it looked as though Clinton had his hands on the ball heaps. He's our only player who will get right in there and get the ball.

He does seem to have a bit of a chuck the ball on the foot quickly mentality, in situations where some Brodder style precision handballs wouldn't go astray, but I hate seeing him bagged for having a real go.

He wasn't drafted from Collingwood as a midfielder but more a pacy wingman from memory and played ok in that role in his first season. He's been forced into a role he's physically challenged for because noone else gets in and does the hard stuff.

I sat with Clinton and his g/f and family at the post match event after we'd narrowly beated the Dogs in the payback match at Colonial.

Clinton was one of our BOG that night. He showed me his hand after the game, and I might be wrong as to what the injury was, but I think the webbing near his thumb was torn apart and he had a heap of stitches in it half way through the game.

I commented how brave he was playing with a bad injury, and all he said was "I wasn't going to let the Dogs win that one."

I admire this little guys courage. He is skinny as, his suit almost falls off him, but he compensates that with courage.

I hate to see the guy bagged cos he mightn't be quite up to it. The coaching staff should deal with his shortcomings, or someone else should play better and take his spot.

Until then, I wish he was supported. Bag the players who don't have a red hot go, but no the ones who give everything they've got.

Kingy mightn't be blessed with the body for the role we force him to play, but he has one of the biggest hearts in the club.

Onya Clinton, you have one fan at least who appreciates what you do more than what you don't do.

He is not the type of player who will win us flags and supporters can see through this. The club is better off blooding youngsters who are physically strong and are penetrating in their kicks. We have several players like this that we carry and ferals are starting to wise up.

I agree with that Diggles, but I don't think a player should be bagged for his shortcomings if he gives all he's got.
Bag the coaching staff who play guys like that not someone who has a real crack even if they do fall a tad short in some areas.

I agree with both of you. King is unquestionably a player who goes right inside to get the ball. He also has a sensational handball. I don't think it matters that much if you're 85 or 75 kgs if you know how to go in. However, I do think that King's kicking ability is so poor that we cannot afford it at this level. It hasn't improved, and as a result he has to go in my opinion.

By the way Rosy, I remember when we recruited him, and the club explicitly stated that he was to be an in-and-under rover. Steve McKee is no genius, but the simple fact that he's a big man means that we lost out big time on that trade with Collingwood - it was a direct swap. I've heard Brendon Gale say that the players were not happy at all about losing McKee.

i confess...i've criticised him relentlessly...pace and kicking. I shouldn't because he's a 1000 times a better player than I am. Anyway, i thought he had a much better game the other night...signs are good.

i think they're all underdone a bit...
spuds got the reins on...
anyway, who cares about the result in a glorified, inventive practice match ? might as well cheer on about the london game.

He is not the type of player who will win us flags and supporters can see through this.

That may be so Diggler. But if some of his teammates with more talent had half the heart and desire that Clinton and Duncan have, then we'd be a lot better off. And I don't see too many of the "more skilled" players with the same desperation as either of these two. Until we learn a thing or two about being a "good team" then players such as Clinton are going to be criticised just as much as those with more talent and skill. It's not like the mistakes are all coming from the type of players you keeep having a go at Diggler.

They are not the selectors Diggler. But, as always, I guess that's a moot point with you.

Good point about King.

If some players gave as much as King gives at each contest, we would be superstars.

I have never seen him shirk a contest, unlike some others.

I actually don't mind King that much, as he is quite good in close with his hands. But if his skills are as appalling all season as they were against Melbourne, he will struggle badly.

If he improves to 2001 standard, he will be a very important player for us as he can create.

A ton of heart, a ton of courage, a good handballer, but a sub-standard kick and a sub-standard decision maker. His skills are better than Duncan's though. Why does Richmond always get unco's? Ray Hall, Matthew Richardson, Darren Gaspar, Duncan Kellaway. I'm beginning to think we should call ourselves "the Turnovers", not "the Tigers". And its contagious, even our skillful players like Joel Bowden are starting to do unco things. I'm surprised we didn't attract Andrew Dunkley to the club. Heaven forbid.

I hear what everyones saying about King, but i really do believe our problems arent with him, he has more heart than 4 or 5 of our so called superstars. Joel Bowden for one, he has promised so much but has delivered very little. He might get the ball alot but just sit and watch him next time and see how many times he actually hits a tiger jumper when he passes it off. Pettifer is another soft umm *smile*, to whom i think needs to toughen up or take a walk. Anyway, my main *smile* is Bowden so will keep on at him and hope the so called Brainstrust down there see what i see week in, week out... :mad:

Skeeta, a lot of what you say about Bowden is true BUT he is far from our worst and there are many players ahead of him on the chopping block.

Bowden's is a coaching problem although on a personal level he could throw his rather ample frame around a bit more and his clanger count is way too high.

Still you can't question his work ethic because it takes a fair effort to find as much of the footy as he does. Pity he waste so much of it.

Just a quick comment on the King for McKee trade - it wasnt a direct swap at all as someone mentioned, additionally I think we got collingwoods pick four for on trading our pic 7. Pick 4 was fiora and 7 was danny roach.....I think that changes the equation a bit.

I agree Rosy. I like Clinton King. Alright he didn't play that well last year but if you recall in 2001 he was a big reason why we had such a successful year. He was constantly feeding the ball out with his beautiful handballs. He is a skillful player, just a bit light on, but i still think he is definate value in our team. It's not like we have an abundance of gun midfielders who create.

Go Kingy.