Chaffey suspended for round one | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Chaffey suspended for round one

A

admin

Chaffey suspended for round one
6:08:18 PM Tue 25 February, 2003
Samantha Lane
afl.com.au

Richmond defender Mark Chaffey will miss the opening game of the home-and-away season after he was suspended for one match after pleading guilty to charging Demon Matthew Whelan in last Friday night's Wizard Home Loans Cup match.

Chaffey is permitted to play in the Tigers' practice matches over the next three weeks in the lead-up to the season proper, but will miss the opening round for the second consecutive year.

The 25-year-old was sidelined for the entire pre-season competition and the opening home-and-away round last season due to a bout of osteitis pubis.

Chaffey admitted to bumping Whelan illegally on Friday night, with his defence hoping he should serve any sentence in the Wizard Home Loans Regional Challenge series (a practice match series), arguing those matches were official AFL-sanctioned matches.

Whelan was brought to ground when Chaffey, who was approaching at full pace, used the left-hand-side of his body in an attempt to spoil his mark from behind. The Demon was backing into position as the contact was made, but suffered no injury.

Field umpire Stuart Wenn made the report immediately after the incident in the second quarter.

Chaffey told the tribunal he had attempted to minimise the impact of his contact by turning his body.

"I had a pretty good head of steam up."

"Just when I thought I couldn't get my shoulder in I tried to turn my body to minimise contact," he said.

It was Chaffey's first report in 102 senior games over six seasons.

:(

I wasn't expecting him to get off as it was late and silly :-/ although it was basically the only thing he did wrong in the game. But on the replay, he did try to soften the collision with his arms as opposed to going the full shoulder charge. Hope this suspension doesn't deter him from throwing his weight around as we need more physical-type players.