Centre half back | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Centre half back

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
This has been a weakness for so long. Who on our list can we develop into a CHB?

There's a young guy named Alex Rance who I have high hopes for

achillesjones said:
Robbing Peter to pay Paul.

In fairness, he was named the AA FB. I just think of him more as a traditional CHB, providing drive out of the back half.

I reckon Astbury could still be a valuable defender for us, fitness pending.

I get some of the angst about Chaplin at times (the Nahas episode will be etched into our memories for a long time) but the fact is that our defence is up there with the best in the league.

I think the club is going to be reluctant to change the mix down back unless that performance deteriorates or we get injuries.

I understand the angst about Chaplin. He does have the odd brain fade and has issues handling the bigger KPF's.

I've been watching our match against Hawthorn last year (am up to 3 quarter time), but Chaplin played a great defenders game. I suppose it depends on how we/he match up.

Just on that, Houli had a shocker. This was the week after the Freo kick out at the death. To Bashar's credit, he followed the play and kicked an important goal (and didn't the boys get around him). I'd like to see him on the wing more.

Anyway back to Chaplin, I think he's been a serviceable pick up. This should be his last year. Would like to see a fit Astbury or Elton given a real go.

Sintiger said:
I get some of the angst about Chaplin at times (the Nahas episode will be etched into our memories for a long time) but the fact is that our defence is up there with the best in the league.

I think the club is going to be reluctant to change the mix down back unless that performance deteriorates or we get injuries.
And people remember the Nahas thing, but fail to look at Ben Brown's (who was Chaplin's opponent that day) stats. He'll be 30 years old at the start of the 2016 season. Got a few years before he hangs up the boots for good.

Sintiger said:

I have similar sentiments.

Like everyone I hope that Astbury or Elton can come through and be an upgrade on Chaplain. However Chaplain on averages has been serviceable and key to a very strong defensive back six.

Chappy is found wanting against tall mobile opponents. Good defender, and clever, but struggles against quality forwards in big games. Would love us to be developing a tall to take over in the next few years. Our missing link is a Leppitsch style CHB. Who could we play on Waite in that final last year? Chappy was not an option, when many teams in the same situation would have swapped defenders around.

achillesjones said:
Chappy is found wanting against tall mobile opponents. Good defender, and clever, but struggles against quality forwards in big games. Would love us to be developing a tall to take over in the next few years. Our missing link is a Leppitsch style CHB. Who could we play on Waite in that final last year? Chappy was not an option, when many teams in the same situation would have swapped defenders around.
Norf are one of the few sides who had 3 tall options in their forward line. Rance got Petrie, Chappy took Brown and that left Batch to try and mind Waite. If we'd moved Chaplin onto Waite, we still had to find a minder for Waite. Hardwick didn't want to use Grimes or even Griff in that role, so Batch got crucified.