Buddy | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Buddy

Michael

Tiger Champion
Nov 30, 2004
It looks as though Buddy is a dinosaur
The games gone past him

Perhaps he should consider NRL, be a good signing for them

Michael said:
The games gone past him

He's still dangerous, but just play a shorter defender on him away from goal.

He will always do a high fend off, or will make recklesss contact to the head.

Not that I particularly care for either player, but I cannot believe Hille has not been rubbed out 3 times also - he should be buying lotto tickets

I was at the game on the weekend and when Buddy got reported you should have heard the boos !

It looked like Buddy was going for the bump/ball, really our game has gone really soft when a week is given for that, but they have to protect the head...

Michael said:
The games gone past him

Just convince the Hawks that Buddy is yesterdays man and be really nice and give them Jordy McMuffin in a straight swap plus half a dozen Sherrins.

[BIGFOOTY]
Tambling >>>> Daylight >>>> Buddy
[/BIGFOOTY]

I'd be happy to have the prehistoric monster roaming in Richmond's forward line.

feisty tige said:
I was at the game on the weekend and when Buddy got reported you should have heard the boos !

It looked like Buddy was going for the bump/ball, really our game has gone really soft when a week is given for that, but they have to protect the head...

He got him flush on the site of the head, I don't know how there is any controversy over this

ZeroGame said:
He got him flush on the site of the head, I don't know how there is any controversy over this

It's a fine line now. The bump is dead. Too dangerous, theres millimetres in it now. One slight turn by the player who is about to be bumped and its a suspension. Still don't know how Hille can get away with elbowing someone in the head though.

GoodOne said:
It's a fine line now. The bump is dead. Too dangerous, theres millimetres in it now. One slight turn by the player who is about to be bumped and its a suspension. Still don't know how Hille can get away with elbowing someone in the head though.

Disagree, there's enough examples of fair bumps in play to show that it's not dead, however its a big risk and the player has to accept that risk when making the choice to bump. It's pretty simple, if the player doesn't have the ball then go for the bump to take him out of play, however if the player has possession or has his head over the ball to pick it up then go for the tackle.

Sydney player is bent over, holding the ball in both hands/arms.
Buddy slides in, ON HIS KNEES, and turns his body to deliver a shoulder to the head of the Sydney player.

There is some doubt about his intention?

The silliest thing was Clarkson trying to use the fact that Buddy is 6'6" to excuse the contact.
If Buddy had stayed on his feet he would have been forced to tackle in the legitimate manner with his arms.
When Buddy went to his knees to deliver the shoulder to the head it clearly showed his intent.

ZeroGame said:
................. however if the player has possession or has his head over the ball to pick it up then go for the tackle.

Might be a bit extreme there :eek:

ZeroGame said:
Disagree, there's enough examples of fair bumps in play to show that it's not dead, however its a big risk and the player has to accept that risk when making the choice to bump. It's pretty simple, if the player doesn't have the ball then go for the bump to take him out of play, however if the player has possession or has his head over the ball to pick it up then go for the tackle.

Well agree to disagree. These days it is a lottery whether a bump turns out to be a good one or a bad one. And that can be as simple as a player turning his head or dipping or rising slightly at exactly the wrong time. You see the problem is the rule now states you can be reported for incidental contact. In other words even though its an accident, you can still be suspended.

When you have a split second to make a decision you are invariably going to every now and then make a wrong decision. Which could mean a suspension. Therefore the bump is dead. Many players are just choosing not to bump at all.