Brisbane, going nowhere | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Brisbane, going nowhere

tigerjoe

EAT 'EM ALIVE TIGERS!
Aug 24, 2003
Melbourne
Michael Voss put all his eggs in one basket and it's starting to show.

Pity he didn't get the gig at Carlscum, he would have set them back 10 years.

Simply banking on an injury prone Jonathon Brown, Luke Power and Simon Black to build a flag on is just silly.

They have an enormous advantage with their Gabba home ground advantage, but that and Brown is where it ends.

Brennan is too inconsistant, Fev is just Fev, Black and Power are on their last legs and the inclusion of Staker, Xavier Clarke and Raines to help push for another flag is a joke.

It just goes to show, that going to the draft and building your list properly over time is the proven formula to success.

We have to be patient with Damian, he is not taking any short cuts and is doing everything right by us and the club.

What Voss is doing will hurt the Lions badly, just wish it was Carlscum!

Kennedy, who Carltank traded away, kicked a lazy 6 goals today.

You're being a bit hard on Fev. He tried his heart out today.

Brisbane's midfield is just terrible. As you say, Black and Power on their last legs although can still play some okay footy, Rich 2nd year blues, Brennan inconsistent, etc. Brown and Fev's delivery is terrible each and every week. I watch Brisbane a lot and I think although Fev has been a decent pick-up I don't know if he's a good fit. At Carlton with the likes of Gibbs, Murphy, Judd Fev he got it on a silver platter and that suited him, he's a lead-up player with great speed. At Brisbane I'm noticing he gets a lot of balls kicked on his head and it forces him to have to try and take contested marks. For all his strengths, contested marking isn't one of them. Most of his goals are coming from opportunistic plays from loose balls off the ground.

They're a long way off top 4. I think they will just scrape into the 8 but won't do much damage. Wonder what will be Voss's fate given he traded away a lot of their future and topped up (foolishly) trying to get a flag before Black, Power, Brown, etc fade into the distance and retire.

come on give them a break, they lost today because there best/superstar/packbuster wasnt there "RAINES".
By the time Voss finishers at Brisbane, they will go back to being called the Brisbane Bears and wearing the maroon BB jumper.
Go Voss! superstar player, Spud of a coach

Danog said:
You're being a bit hard on Fev.  He tried his heart out today.

Yep, he had a Richo-like night. Did well to hold himself together.

Not the best week to judge Brisbane.

- Clark got hurt at training on Friday. They had to pinch-hit with Brennan, who looks to have badly hurt his ankle at a ruck contest.
- Merrett was out, Maguire suspended and Patfull withdrew before the game. Raines has been going OK and was also missing. A huge change to their back half. This left Staker to try to defend Pav, and the late inclusion Hawksley the second tall at 187cm. Imagine if we lost Moore, Thursfield and McGuane in one hit? On second thought, better not.
- Brown's clearly not right. Commands a quality opponent but not doing much else. They barely even looked for him in the second half.
- Drummond went down after half time with what might be a serious knee injury

On top of that, the entire team looked like it had been out on the grog. There was no cohesion, no helping teammates in the scrimmages, plenty of players running forward of the ball and getting caught out. Considering Freo did nearly everything right, it was a miracle that Stiller had a shot to level the scores with a few minutes remaining.

Freo aren't a top side yet, but they've developed a work ethic from somewhere. Apart from Pav and Sandilands, plus Hill and Fyfe who are stars in the making, they're a bunch of blue-collar battlers. A little bit of Richmond '95 about the team, so who who knows how far they'll go this year.

I felt at trade time that going for these 2nd rung players like X Clarke, Raines, Staker etc was short sighted ( a la us in 2001 with Hudson and Houlihan). A few early wins has covered up the fact they aren't a quality side.

tigertim said:
I felt at trade time that going for these 2nd rung players like X Clarke, Raines, Staker etc was short sighted ( a la us in 2001 with Hudson and Houlihan). A few early wins has covered up the fact they aren't a quality side.
Exactly my thoughts old fella.

I do not rate Voss as a coach and think their recruiting this year was very short sighted and extremely likely to backfire and leave them redfaced and in a long slump.

Too early to call, but I applaud Vossy for trying something different.

You look at some of the best sides in this league. They didn't rebuild from the bottom up. Alot of them recruited existing players well (ala Sydney).

Even St. Kilda (who did bottom out a few years ago), has a team of guys they picked up from other teams.

Rebuilding through the draft certainly isn't the only way to a premiership. In fact, apart from Hawthorn, has any team won a premiership after rebuilding?

It's funny how everyone says this is the worst time to win the wooden spoon. It's the worst time to come 9th more like - at least coming last you still get pick 4. It's the middle of the road teams that will really be in trouble as they will get very shabby draft picks.

thejinx said:
Too early to call, but I applaud Vossy for trying something different.

You look at some of the best sides in this league. They didn't rebuild from the bottom up. Alot of them recruited existing players well (ala Sydney).

Even St. Kilda (who did bottom out a few years ago), has a team of guys they picked up from other teams.

Rebuilding through the draft certainly isn't the only way to a premiership. In fact, apart from Hawthorn, has any team won a premiership after rebuilding?

Probably Brisbane, they were serious cellar dwellers for a number of years and I am pretty sure they got hefty draft concessions from the AFL that were pivotal in establishing their dynasty. Out of the other bottoming out clubs, Hawthorn has won a premiership of course, St Kilda has been a consistent finalist for a half a decade, Carlton played finals last year and Melbourne is poised to join them sooner rather than later (and who knows where they could go from there with their young talent). That's a pretty fair measure of success and encouraging for any club that wants to go down that path (assuming that there are picks available to merit it). Ultimately it's probably a question of if you have a large enough core of elite or A-graders to build a list around not to have to bottom out. Wallet thought he did and look at the result. If you don't, then bottoming out is probably the only way.

zippadeee said:
come on give them a break, they lost today because there best/superstar/packbuster wasnt there "RAINES".
By the time Voss finishers at Brisbane, they will go back to being called the Brisbane Bears and wearing the maroon BB jumper.
Go Voss! superstar player, Spud of a coach

Pointless comments

Tigerblood said:
It's funny how everyone says this is the worst time to win the wooden spoon. It's the worst time to come 9th more like - at least coming last you still get pick 4. It's the middle of the road teams that will really be in trouble as they will get very shabby draft picks.

Exactly my sentiments, if we finish last as expected, our picks will be roughly similar to last years - hardly reason to claim the sky is falling in. From all reports a good player will be available at 4 and with a priority pick in the 20's we should be in a position to grab some more decent talent.

People need to realise that rebuilding a club is about maximising picks from later in the draft as well as with top 10 picks. Another 4-5 quality players next year will keep us on track and perhaps we will even snaffle an established player in the PSD.

For all the snipers and reactionaries 'THIS IS THE WOODEN SPOON WE HAD TO HAVE!'

bullus_hit said:
Correction..............

For all the snipers and reactionaries 'THISTHESE ISARE THE WOODEN SPOON(s) WE HAD TO HAVE!'

We'll be down there getting Pick 4 for a years yet.

Voss was a great footballer. One of the all time great on ballers. However his post playing career has been underwhelming to say the least, firstly as a commentator (Captain Obvious) and now as a coach. He has burnt development of young players by trading for existing players from other clubs and the chickens are coming home to roost. They will probably make the lower half of the 8 but they are miles away from challenging seriously and the path he has taken them will see them slide down the ladder.

Ye shall reap what he sow :cutelaugh

thejinx said:
Geelong, Brisbane, Essendon, Port Adelaide, West Coast

Too many injuries at the moment. When they have their full strength team on the track they are pretty good. Didn't win their first four through being crap.