Blumfield ready to earn stripes | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Blumfield ready to earn stripes

A

admin

Blumfield ready to earn stripes
06 March 2003 Herald Sun
By REBECCA WILLIAMS

PRIZE Richmond recruit Justin Blumfield will put a frustrating pre-season behind him when he makes his debut for the Tigers on Saturday.

The former Bomber will run onto the field in yellow and black for the first time in a practice match against Carlton at Optus Oval.

Blumfield has spent most of the pre-season on the sidelines recovering from a niggling bout of osteitis pubis.

But after nursing the injury through the summer, the premiership midfielder says he now has some catching up to do.

"The other (new) guys got a jump on me," Blumfield said after training at Whitten Oval yesterday.

"Johnno (Kane Johnson) and a few of the other boys have already had their first game.

"It has been frustrating ... but I'm looking forward to pulling on the jumper and running out with my new teammates for the first time on Saturday, even if it is only for a half."

What Blumfield thought was general soreness turned out to be more of a lingering problem.

"I just had to take it easy for a few months there and make sure my body was right for the season proper," he said.

"I feel pretty good now, but it's one of those things that if you don't have good maintenance, recovery and training techniques, it can come back. So I'm just making sure I do everything right from here on in."

Richmond captain Wayne Campbell is also set to play his first game of the pre-season on Saturday. Campbell joined Blumfield on the sidelines during the summer as he recovered from a groin complaint.