Backline height | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Backline height

Birdman19

Plodder
Apr 16, 2009
Is it just my distorted perception or are we one of the smallest backlines in the league? It was hard to match up on the Saints' talls tonight.

11 goals kicked by smalls. 3 goals kicked by talls.
lack of height didnt cost us tonight.

Brodders17 said:
11 goals kicked by smalls. 3 goals kicked by talls.
lack of height didnt cost us tonight.

What I thought to, although St Kilda don't really have a big forward line without Riewoldt up there.

Lack of a good small defender or three continues to hurt us.

I thought our matchups early down back were a mess.

Thursfield was not the matchup for Milne, and with Astbury and McGuane playing on the talls, we actually looked too tall IMO.

When we finally put a small on Milne (although it made no difference to that matchup), Thursfield and McGuane went back to the two talls and Astubry went forward, it looked a little better.

Most of the problems early seemed to start with Deledio not going with anyone (either his decision or coaching instructions), which was manipulated by StK to free up Montagna as their link man.

DragicevicFan said:
Thursfield was not the matchup for Milne

Did a fantastic job last year in keeping Milne goalless; possibly the reason he was brought back in.

Farmer is not the answer.

Will be interesting next week against the competition's tallest side, West Coast.

Its the delivery that made caught the defense out most of the time.

That said, McGuane needs to get a little smarter and stop pushing blokes all the time, and Thursty needs to work on his game alot as he is not the player he used to be.

DragicevicFan said:
I thought our matchups early down back were a mess.

Excellent observation Draga. 12 minutes into the 2nd Q Hardwick reshuffled the team that saw us play better footy from then on. Tambling moved from the forward line to defence, tried Edwards and then Farmer on Milne, Astbury was moved up forward for while, & we had Simmo & Gus both on the ground in the 3rd Q.