AFL Record for playing all draft picks? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

AFL Record for playing all draft picks?

Shirtfront

Tiger Cub
Oct 3, 2006
Just wondering, we have played all seven draft picks from last year and one new rookie in Roberts by round ten. Is this some sort of record? More importantly I like the idea of recuiting players and actually giving them a go to see who can actually play. A little bit smarter than hanging on to them for a few years and then letting them go to see if they can make it elsewhere! I am intersted in others thoughts or any stats out there.

Can't vouch for when the players were drafted, but these are the numbers for the most first-gamers fielded by clubs by Round 10 since the inception of the draft:

Pl Cb Year
----------
24 WC 1987
23 Ad 1991
20 Fr 1995
18 PA 1997
12 Fi 1991
10 Co 1987
9 St 1986
9 Ri 1988
9 Br 1991
9 St 1995
9 Me 1998
9 Br 2005
8 Br 1987
8 WB 1987
8 WC 1989
8 Fi 1990
8 Ri 1993
8 Co 1995
8 Ad 1999
8 Ri 2010

Of course the top four were the first seasons of expansion clubs.

Shirtfront said:
Just wondering, we have played all seven draft picks from last year and one new rookie in Roberts by round ten. Is this some sort of record? More importantly I like the idea of recuiting players and actually giving them a go to see who can actually play. A little bit smarter than hanging on to them for a few years and then letting them go to see if they can make it elsewhere! I am intersted in others thoughts or any stats out there.

Our 2003 draft is the only other national draft to have 7 play senior footy the following year (Roach, Jackson, Morrison, Hartigan, Tuck, Raines and Fletcher) The most national draft picks to play senior footy is the Cats in 2001 who had 8 guys play senior footy, but only 6 of them played in their first year (Bartel, Kelly, Steve Johnson, Gardiner, Ablett and David Johnson (wow!)). The Saints 1994 draft has 7 guys play senior footy as did our 2004 draft.

So bottom line is either you have drafted a lot of good players and/or you have a bad team and everyone is getting a go.