AFL changes rules for Ablett / Geeong - so why not for draft? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

AFL changes rules for Ablett / Geeong - so why not for draft?

Tiger Superstar
Feb 28, 2008
Today's confirmation that the AFL will change the rules to compensate Geelong if Ablett goes to the Gold Coast are significant, and set an important precedent.
The AFL have belatedly moved to correct an major distortion between theory (the bureaucrats in the AFL) and practice (what happens in the real world of the AFL) - ironically on the same day as an adventurous economic theory on a mining tax claimed Kevin O'Lemon.
The AFL should now move to correct the major distortion similarly created by their bending over to make sure GC and GWS are not only competitive but wildly successful, by giving them an unnaturally large amount of quality top 20 draft picks in 2009, 2010 and beyond.
This year and next, that distortion will significantly impact lower ranked teams like Richmond, who are desperate to rebuild their list with top draft picks.
It is likely to have a much more detrimental impact on bottom clubs than that of Geelong losing Ablett after winning 2 Premierships out of last 3, and likely to win another this year.
And yet the AFL has moved swiftly to rectify which distortion? Why, Geelong's, of course.
I think this is outrageous, and I think we should still be campaigning to do something about it.
Andrew Demetriou is on the record as stating that he doesn't need to do anything about this because "Richmond has not asked him for assistance".
Benny Gale does not want Richmond to appear to be weak whingers by going cap in hand and asking for draft concessions.
I argue that correcting a major draft distortion that affects not just Richmond is not our club asking for draft concessions, and that putting this argument to the AFL is something that our club should be doing.
I would also caution those thinking that this concern about our club getting stiffed in the next few drafts to the benefit of the new clubs is unnecessary, that after winning 3 of last 4 that Richmond is fine and on the way to sustained success, to reconsider. Beating the pathetic WCE and woeful BL was good fun but does not mean we are getting within striking distance of being in the same ballpark as comp benchmark Geelong.
For any supporters that might agree with my views, it's now time to do something about it. I think a start is to write to Benny Gale (c/- RFC, PO Box 48, Richmond 3121)outlining reasons why you think he should make representations to the AFL about the distortion of upcoming drafts.
If we don't show we care, sure as hell the AFL won't feel a need to do anything about it.

I suggested a similar thing on another thread:

http://www.puntroadend.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=40800.msg1134053#msg1134053

Ive always said that we should ask the AFL for assistance.
Imagine if it was Carlscum or the Bummers their CEO would be on the phone to Andy D asking for draft concessions.
Why are we so proud as to not ask for assistance from the AFL? I dont get it why Benny Gale thinks we will do it our way and not ask the AFL for any help. The Cats asked for draft concessions if SOG junior was to go to GC and got them.
We shouldnt have to write to Benny to wake him up about asking for concessions.
He needs to pick up the phone and call Andy D and demand concessions like any other CEO that is in charge of a club in our position would do.
After all Benny Gale is there for the good of our club not to have some high and mighty stance that we dont need help.

btoz, Benny Gale has said he is not going to ask the AFL for change.
He is unlikely to change his mind unless a substantial amount of supporters are able to change his mind.
That's where some feedback to Benny might help.

17 said:
btoz, Benny Gale has said he is not going to ask the AFL for change.
He is unlikely to change his mind unless a substantial amount of supporters are able to change his mind.
That's where some feedback to Benny might help.

Fair enough... All Im saying is if Benny is not prepared to ask for draft concessions in light of what the Cats have asked for and got Bennys not doing his job properly.

As much as we may p!ss and moan, it will do little. Better spending the energy on development than on a battle we would not be able to win because of the AFLs plan to grow the game in new markets.

I would not be worried about us, we seem to be headed in the right direction with the young team we have. With the talent shown (martin, edwards, gus....) and the emergence of some big time players (jack, cotch, lids...), as nice as they would be, top darft picks might not be what we are looking for as it could create salary cap pressure.

I'd be really cheesed off if I was adelaide, they're gonna cop it in the neck a whole lot more than we will......

I think if we finish with 4-5 wins then we should petition the AFL for a compensatory pick, arguing that with a weakened draft we need more help than the current system allows. Say - sign one 17yo kid, or 16 yo, gws will pick all the 17yo's. The AFL could then make this a blanket rule for all clubs.