2016 free agents | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2016 free agents

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
The AFL has released this year's list

Ad - Ricky Henderson, Scott Thompson, Nathan van Berlo
Br - Daniel Rich (restricted), Daniel Merrett
Ca - Dennis Armfield, Kade Simpson
Co - Nathan Brown (restricted), Steele Sidebottom (restricted), Jarryd Blair, Brent Macaffer, Dane Swan, Alan Toovey
Es - Courtenay Dempsey, Heath Hocking, Cale Hooker, David Myers, Tayte Pears, Brent Stanton
Fr - Zac Clarke, Matt de Boer, Chris Mayne, Matthew Pavlich, Clancee Pearce, Aaron Sandilands
Ge - Jimmy Bartel, Corey Enright, Tom Lonergan
GC - Nil
GWS - Nil
Ha - Luke Hodge, Sam Mitchell, Brendan Whitecross
Me - Jack Grimes (restricted), Jack Watts (restricted), Neville Jetta, Jake Spencer
NM - Michael Firrito, Brent Harvey, Drew Petrie, Lindsay Thomas, Daniel Wells
PA - Paul Stewart
Ri - Ty Vickery (restricted)
St - Sean Dempster (restricted), Sam Fisher, Leigh Montagna, Nick Riewoldt
Sy - Kieren Jack, Ted Richards
WC - Mitch Brown, Sam Butler, Patrick McGinnity, Will Schofield
WB - Will Minson, Dale Morris, Robert Murphy

Slim pickings, with many players near the end of their careers. Hooker an obvious standout, although he's off to Freo by all reports.

Who might we be interested in? A 29yo Kieren Jack to bolster the midfield for a year or two? 31yo Minson as a stopgap in the ruck? If Townsend and Moore don't work out, Myers might be worth a look - slow but big body and good disposal, without too many miles on the clock.

The Pies have 6 handy players on the list.
It may be hard for them to hang onto all of them with the money they've spent on Treloar etc.
Especially if these players get offers.

poppa x said:
The Pies have 6 handy players on the list.
It may be hard for them to hang onto all of them with the money they've spent on Treloar etc.
Especially if these players get offers.
Wouldn't touch any of them except SS and I think he's about to re-sign.

T-Shirt Tommy said:
Cale Hooker please. Perfect replacement for Chaplin.

Need to get in Hurleys ear and have him leave the Bombers for breach of contract, then we can grab him for zilch. >:D

All the headlines today that if you think things are bad for Essendon now, they have 6 guys coming into free agency.... Hooker is the only player half decent.

we'll just wait to see who's delisted at the end of the year and then make our move

I'd take Hodge if we're in strong contention for the flag next year. His sort of competitiveness could mean the difference between a win or loss in the big game

We'd look at the key backs and rucks. One ruck: Clarke. Dunno. Key backs: Hooker's a dream, so's Hurley. Schofield would be hard to pry loose but not a bad option if *smile* and Elton don't step up. Mitch Brown if you're desperate and he's cheap.

tommygun said:
With one ruck man available is a real concern. Our next developing ruckman is 2-3 years away. I hope we have a plan B

Like you, Tommy G, I have rather strong concerns about the state of the ruck stocks at RFC.
There are slim picking to be had it seems, unless the Tigers are going to initiate some trading dynamics that snare a prospective premiership ruckman.