2015 Season wrap up | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2015 Season wrap up

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Time to wrap up our season and get all the pent up frustration on (digital)paper as a cleansing mechanism so we can enjoy the Grand Final without thinking "What if" all the way through it.

What did you think of our season ? highlights, lowlights, specifics, possibly something that you don't harp on about in every thread at every opportunity.

The Good
- Finishing 5th
- Beating Hawks, Swans and Freo convincingly
- Re-signing Rance eventually
- Re-signing Dusty with very little fuss
- chimp stepping up, getting mean and leading
- What we saw of C. Ellis after his multiple transplants
- Kamdyn's year
- Finally the clash strip we were always meant to have

The Bad
- No finals win
- Losing to Melbourne again
- VFL Team not doing great
- Leaders going missing when the going gets tough

Thats about it for me without thinking too hard. Others ?

Well done Baloo. Some more..

Good
- Record club membership resulting in another bumper club profit
- 3 All Australians in Rance, Riewoldt, Deledio
- Our club stance on Racism
- No off field incidents
- Maddie Riewoldt Day involvement
- Re-signing of key players
- Finishing in the finals for a third straight year

Bad
3rd year in a row knocked out of an elimination final
Pressure on Hardwick
Pressure on the club leadership group
Ageing ruckman with no clear replacement
Clubs continued relationship with betting agencies

good - system driven coach who knows how to bag around 15 wins in a home and away season

bad - unresponsive coach in pressure finals situations

Baloo said:
Time to wrap up our season and get all the pent up frustration on (digital)paper as a cleansing mechanism so we can enjoy the Grand Final without thinking "What if" all the way through it.
Won't be watching it. Can't find anything "enjoyable" about watching a potential Hawthorn three peat.

Got more productive things to do than sit there building more frustration on top of that already pent up. Eventually knocking them off in a final would be the best cleansing mechanism.

Good
Beating Carlton, Essendon, and Collingwood twice :clap :clap :clap

Panthera Tigris said:
Won't be watching it. Can't find anything "enjoyable" about watching a potential Hawthorn three peat.

Got more productive things to do than sit there building more frustration on top of that already pent up. Eventually knocking them off in a final would be the best cleansing mechanism.

So why bother posting in this thread ?

Good
- I got to two games this season (yay) including the final
- I loved the Chimp's aggression at times
- Rance, Reiwoldt, Dusty and Miles
- The atmosphere at Punt Road on the day of the final
- The stability of our club

Bad
- Some of our losses seemed to only come from our lack of decision making (coaching/implementation?)
- Not winning the final

Baloo said:
So why bother posting in this thread ?
OK more on topic. The good for 2015.

1. Beating Hawthorn
2. Beating Hawthorn
3. Beating Hawthorn
4. Beating Hawthorn
5. Beating Hawthorn

Oh and beating Collingwood, Carlton and Essendon twice was pretty good too. ;)

Good:

Ability to beat the top teams
Ability to find an extra gear to beat the lower teams
Our defence (special mentions to Rance, Grimes and Houli)
McIntosh
Lambert
Jack
Lids kicking bags at HF
The McBean thread

Bad:
Final (again)
Hampson (again)
Missing out on Shiel, Hanneberry and Treloar
Losses to Dees, Geelong and North (in Tassie)
The gap in intensity between our best footy and our worst footy

Good:
Being able to give it to my Sydney supporting mates after beating them at the SCG for the first time since I was 10
Building young depth on the outside
Doing the triple double over Floggingwood, the drug cheats and Carlscum
Ability to control the speed the game is played, when we needed to.
Bad:
Reasonably slow start with loses against clubs we are light years ahead of, ultimately costing us a top four finish
Losing elimination final due to lack of big bodied mid capable of doing the job on the inside

Just think back a bit .... quarter time in the first Collingwood game. We were 2-4, 13th on the ladder, playing against third and 20 points down.
At that point, I can clearly remember saying to myself - another season down the drain and Hardwick is absolute toast! (perhaps not such a bad thing).
Our next three games were against Port, Essendon, (both 3-3 at the time and travelling much better than they ended up) and Freo (top of the ladder).
Almost everyone on this board had us 2-8 at the bye.

We won them all and were 6-4 at the bye and in the eight.
In that context, I reckon it's a turnaround almost as remarkable as last year's.
We lost only three more home-and-away games for the year including the return match against Freo where we were clearly the better side.

There is a poll on Richmond's facebook page for what our best quarter for the year was.
Alot of obvious ones top the poll - 1st quarter in the first Freo game, 3rd quarter v Sydney, last quarter in the second Collingwood game.
I reckon that second quarter in the first Collingwood game has to be up there too - five goals in the first nine minutes, eight in all.

Things were incredibly tight at the pointy end of the ladder.
Play around with Houli's brain-fade and the Melbourne game and you have to think we are right up there.

Winning finals is the last box we need to tick.

23.21.159 said:
Winning finals is the last box we need to tick.

Winning a Grand Final for me. After this time building the list and with our better players in their prime I'd find it disappointing if we just won a final or two.

Good: last q vs colon wood .
Hawth game
Beating ess* twice.
Kamdyn / Lloyd/ Lennon/ cellis
Sir Alex Rance

Bad:
Lost to nth (Esp. Nahas tackling Chaplin > goal. I lost my *smile* at that point..... Completely lost it).
Loss to Melbourne
Worrying about Alex quitting.

Not too many bads, but God, next year.... Well, you know.

Hopefully, 2015 can, come the last day in September 2017, be seen as a building block season that further laid the foundations to ultimate glory.

Bad: The first 6 weeks
final quarter r 17 v Freo (mcg).
Final quarter Elim final v North (Mcg)
Forward zone.

Good: getting games into lennon c Ellis menadue.
Our team defence
Rounds 7-23. Won 13, lost 3.